Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aero discussions

On recent editions of Hammer Down Racing Report (iheart radio) Brian Ruhlman and Rusty Schlenk discussed the fact that LM racing has developed too far in respect to aerodynamics. Brian suggested that the rear spoiler size be reduced. 4" was suggested. Rusty said that the best way to slow a LM was to knock a hole in the nose, Schlenk sited personal experience on this. What about opening up the headlight areas of the nose. They could be covered by 1/4" screen maybe even painted to make them appear to be there. Both racers suggested pulling the noses back. What are your thoughts on reducing the "evil aero"?

Go back to the 90s style bodies.

Use the 1995 body drawings. Lose the spoiler. Take the splitter off the nose.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I would just say the best start to reigning the bodies in would be to enforce the rules as they’re written except for bringing the deck height back down to 36”. The cost associated with such changes would be non-existent to minimal.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I agree that they have gotten way out of hand with the long noses pinned to the ground. Make them run more stock looking front-ends and enforce rear spoiler/deck heights, etc. It would be far more entertaining to put it back into the driver's hands like before "dirty air" was ever a consideration.

How about enforcing the rules they have.

Quote Originally Posted by slide-skill View Post
    Holy heck! A 4m post that makes sense! Who would have ever thunk that?

Quote Originally Posted by slide-skill View Post
    One problem. Too many rules have already been "lost" because they were not enforced long ago. They gave up and pulled them from the book.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I know I don't talk much on here but my opinion is why change things? I get the thinking of dirty air is bad but how low these cars are even without a nose you'll have at least a little dirty air. The second thing is the noses on these cars are to get more air on them so if you make the noses smaller wouldn't that make the worse before it got better. The third thing is if having a small nose and smaller spoiler wouldn't no nose and no spoiler be better? How come so many people dislike modifieds than? That is what people are describing.

The best example I have seen of aero in DLM racing is the final night at Knoxville this year. Richards has the lead, then Davenport passes him going into 1. As they go through 2, Richards gets directly behind Davenport and immediately loses the nose. Prior to that, the car was handling great. Several other cars, including Davenport himself, suffered from the same problem when others passed them. Very noticable.

Late 80's-early 90's look... my old POS will have it's original Camaro style roof...never thought I'd say that 30 years ago.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Use the 1995 body drawings. Lose the spoiler. Take the splitter off the nose.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Plus some maximum nose height from the ground rules. JMO
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

These noses are very ugly they dwarf the rest of the car...

The first time I really noticed the noses getting crazy was in back around 2007 or so. We were at Tazewell. A lot of the cars, including Bloomquist were parked outside the pits, so you could see the cars just walking up to the ticket line. I noticed then that the right front part of his nose was flattened a lot more than the left, and the left part of the fender was jacked up higher. I remember discussing with my dad that when they went into the corner, it would act like a wing helping with downforce.
    This may not have been when it started, but that's the first time I really noticed it that bad other than just being slightly unsymmetrical.
    I think many problems would be solved if the bodies had to be symmetrical. No different wheelbases, no crazy noses reared up like Elvis curling his lip, no bodies turned into wedges.

I have hated these plastic fenders since they started using them. I like the look of the formed metal fenders a lot better.

Take off the nose piece, take off the fenders and open the wheels up and call them Super Modifieds!

Quote Originally Posted by reid boys View Post
    I know I don't talk much on here but my opinion is why change things? I get the thinking of dirty air is bad but how low these cars are even without a nose you'll have at least a little dirty air. The second thing is the noses on these cars are to get more air on them so if you make the noses smaller wouldn't that make the worse before it got better. The third thing is if having a small nose and smaller spoiler wouldn't no nose and no spoiler be better? How come so many people dislike modifieds than? That is what people are describing.
    If the nose doesn't catch as much air, you will adjust the setup to rebalance the car. Then when you get behind a car, you won't lose as much.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Mastersbilt I get that. what I'm saying is that no matter how big the nose is the car in front is still making a void in the air. The only difference is that the guy in the back has less air getting to his nose because it's now smaller

Quote Originally Posted by reid boys View Post
    Mastersbilt I get that. what I'm saying is that no matter how big the nose is the car in front is still making a void in the air. The only difference is that the guy in the back has less air getting to his nose because it's now smaller
    Correct. But the less dependent the car is on the air, the less dirty air kills the car. You cannot completely eliminate the problem. It would exist if we raced dune buggys. It just wouldn't be noticeable.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 11-14-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I would imagine taming down the nose would reduce this coil bind bump stop on the front and jack the left rear in the air with the insane rebound or air shock whatever...has to be a rough ride the way they are pinned to the ground...

doesn't look like its going to get any better with the new md3 evolution 2 nose.