Default Slipping Water Pump Pulleys

I am becoming convinced that my water pump/fan pulley is slipping and causing higher than desired water temps on a 602 crate. I run the aggressive steel GM four blade fan with two blades trimmed off. It should move a ton of air, but I'm still running 225 on cool nights. I run the double groove 1 to 1 aluminum pulleys with a single belt to the WP and a short belt to the PS pump. These don't allow tightening of the WP and I can pull the fan by hand and it slips. I tried sanding the glaze off the pulleys by placing them on fixture and hitting them with an abrasive flapper wheel. It seemed to do a good job, but I think I still need a tiny bit shorter belt to snug it up. Any advice or cure?

Get a jones serpentine set and stop wasting time worrying about belts. One of those things once you do, why did i fight those v-belts so long...

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    I am becoming convinced that my water pump/fan pulley is slipping and causing higher than desired water temps on a 602 crate. I run the aggressive steel GM four blade fan with two blades trimmed off. It should move a ton of air, but I'm still running 225 on cool nights. I run the double groove 1 to 1 aluminum pulleys with a single belt to the WP and a short belt to the PS pump. These don't allow tightening of the WP and I can pull the fan by hand and it slips. I tried sanding the glaze off the pulleys by placing them on fixture and hitting them with an abrasive flapper wheel. It seemed to do a good job, but I think I still need a tiny bit shorter belt to snug it up. Any advice or cure?
    If you want to stay with V belt then we use an adjustable water pump, where you can raise or lower the water pump to tighten the belt between pump and crank. It's very common with un-anodized pulley's to wear them out so the belt runs too deep in the groove and touches the bottom of the groove instead of the sides. You pulley is likely worn or you have the wrong belt, the belt should not touch the bottom of the groove under no circumstance only the sides of the V.

You should not be able to turn the fan by hand unless you're actually turning the engine over.

Different brands of belts are actually different lengths, regardless what they say. This goes back a long time ago, but I recall we used Motorcraft? belts on an early stockcar, the only brand of belts that would lock the fan to the crank. 1:1 pulleys and tight belts...and a fan as engineered for a 602.

Always wondered on Crate would it be advantageous to run a alternator and a electric fan over one of them 2 bladed props? I guess the next question would an electric fan be able to keep it cool?

Just say no...

I would be looking at the tune on your engine, more than belt slippage. The fact that a cool night its still warm, leads me to believe you may need to jet up one size. Cooler air means the air is more dense, which would make you lean. That would make it warmer. The 602 is basically a truck engine. It don't take much water flow to keep it cool. You could have 30% slippage and still be flowing plenty of water.

ya know, strangely enough those aluminum pulleys do wear (especially on a dirt car) and it don't take much before the belt touches the bottom of the groove where it isn't supposed to ride and that will allow it to begin slipping by reducing the grip on the sides of the belt where it's supposed to ride.
    just something to check out

I agree with powerslide. I switched to the serp setup from Jones and wondered why I didn't do that sooner.