Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Francis to Lucas Oil Tech

Might be some new rules coming this off season

We all know from his recent interview, how he feels about the aero situation. We might see some rules that bring the bodies back into check.

Will Lucas Oil do the right thing and let Francis enforce the rules and reign in the over-the-top bodies that are not in legal specs. That is the question.....

Based off the DirtonDirt post it kinda looks that way

Other tech guys have wanted to enforce rules too. It didn't work that way.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The rule enforcement remains to be seen. More importantly another hall of famer is done racing. I still remember the first time i saw a car on three wheels, thank you steve francis. I personally was hoping he would race regionally for a while, so maybe i could see him out front one last time. I still remember the daytime world where owens got him on like lap 85. Sad to see the colonel go.

This is great news! Reel the bodies back in, make them less aerodynamic, and slow the cars down. It will make the racing better and there will be less stress on the drivetrain, therefore taking a little bit of the expense out of racing for everyone.

What issue I could see is, Lucas enforced this rule but if I go run a WoO and they don't enforce this rule then what. I've seen guys be in the grey area at this track and the inspector is ok but the track the other night, there inspector isn't ok with it and gives you a week to fix it.

A uniformed set of rules need to be written to cover all tours, national and regional, local, sanctions and tracks for open LM. And they need to be enforced the same at every venue

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    What issue I could see is, Lucas enforced this rule but if I go run a WoO and they don't enforce this rule then what. I've seen guys be in the grey area at this track and the inspector is ok but the track the other night, there inspector isn't ok with it and gives you a week to fix it.

A uniformed set of rules need to be written to cover all tours, national and regional, local, sanctions and tracks for open LM. And they need to be enforced the same at every venue
    WoO has a new tech man too. might need to do a good ol' fashion set down meeting and discuss what they are going to do at say PRI. get the rules out promptly
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    WoO has a new tech man too. might need to do a good ol' fashion set down meeting and discuss what they are going to do at say PRI. get the rules out promptly
    That would be a good idea. I do like the idea of having a now former veteran racer who is currently familiar with series to be on board in that department. I wish him luck.

Please please please let Steve enforce body rules!!! The ones we have now are hideous!

Get em colonel! Walk around pri and tell them guys dont bring that gaudy stuff to the track!...

I disagree about all the way down to local rules. Local racing doesn't need to constantly update rules to the latest Lucas witch hunt, knee-jerk reaction. We already have Lucas rules at the local level that local tech doesn't have the know-how to enforce.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

This can only be a good thing, hope WOO follows if any body rules etc are changed.

Great post! I definitely see people going to the other series for not wanting to conform to rules. UDTRA was great for a year or two. Wonder why the sanctioning bodies at the time got away from universal rules.

The only way a major change, like body rules, will be reigned in effectively is by the Dirt Late Model Council, so it can be implemented by all the touring series.

Like say.........the tire rule?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

The unified rules council basically sets the rules for both tours. It’s the tech director’s job to enforce said rules. This idea that Steve is going to come in and fix all that’s wrong with the bodies is incredibly flawed.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

The council is a complete joke. Just to show you this is in fact true, said Council voted to outlaw the air shock back in May. Here it is November and it's still not in the rules, why do you think that is? Is it because some member had enough pull to overrule the entire Council?

I'm the first to say that enforcing current rules is where it needs to start. That being said, I don't think the technical director's job is or should be limited to rules enforcement. This person should understand the technology and economics involved in running one of these cars. And understand the negative/unintended consequences of a new rule before it is proposed. Francis fits this mold.
    I'll never forget the first time I saw a "no canister shock" rule in a crate series. A rule implemented in the name of keeping high dollar shocks out of the crate world. And these rules were implemented AFTER the Integra IDAs, Genesis Extreme, etc. bulb shocks were already on the market. My first thought (and final thought on the matter) was what a stupid rule that was obviously proposed and written by somebody that really doesn't know the sport very well.
    Long story short, a guy like Steve Francis would never propose such idiotic regulations. Sadly, Lucas Oil has many of them.