Thread: Joliet?

Default Joliet?

Whats up with next season? What I seen this yr was awesome! Hope she has plenty more in store for 2018... Anyone know?

The only events I know of so far are the ASCoC Sprints Saturday night of NASCAR weekend, and the two-day $25,000 WoO Late Model show in October.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Like to see her get a Lucas race on a day or two that WoO is off. Do something similar to the PDC's format give it a name and a good payout. I see Sycamore doing this real soon.... Both places can easily handal the crowd, especially Joliet.

I wish Joliet would jack up the banking or something. It stays one-lane for too long IMO.

I thought they were going to shorten it to 3/8ths?

Quote Originally Posted by dmr37 View Post
    I thought they were going to shorten it to 3/8ths?
    I believe they already did.

Looks like a big 3/8's, think shiny is right, needs more banking. Not very impressed last Oct.

They did shorten the track.. How about a summernational's race !.... Year's ago, they did hold a race the night before the PDC at Fairbury when Larry Decker was the Promoter .. anyone remember that ?.. I'm thinking Bob Pierce won...

It looks too big to be a 3/8. Probably more like a 4/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    It looks too big to be a 3/8. Probably more like a 4/10.
    I believe it was just a bit longer than 4/10's prior to the reconfiguration. They called it a 1/2 mile but it wasn't that long.

I believe it's a legit 3/8's now.

It had 4 true turns be for Like Ind a O now its 0

It sure is fun to get around though. Hammer down for the most part. And I'm sure the more it's prepped and raced on the better it will get.

I hope they try another non-series open show though. I'm sure they lost their tail on the last one, but if word gets out it's hopefully something to build upon.

I just measured it twice around the inside berm on google earth and got .37 both times.

What ever it is it's BIG. I think it is ok for the LM class cars, but it's to big for support classes (SS Sportsman). If you have a $50K LM motor your ok, but a steel block sbc engine won't last tuning 7500 rpm's for 15 laps. I never had to lift just ride the brake a little through the turns. How many guys can hold the motor wide open at 7000 or 10 minuets and not hurt something? I live 9 miles from the place and would love to have 8-10 shows I can race at a year but i'm not going to apend $25K on two motors a year doing it. MAKE IT SMALLER PLEASE.

I'm not disparaging anything a car owner says. Those guys are writing the checks (thank you all) and all I do is drive to the track and buy a ticket. But, are we headed for the day and time where everything will be 1/5 mile or less because engine builders can't build them to last racing on a track any larger than than that? Not long ago it was the 1/2 miles like Freeport, IL that were being phased out because no one wanted to race on them due to them being hard on engines. It seems these days if at track is any larger than a 1/4 mile it's too hard on engines.

If the purses were better would that be incentive enough to justify racing on a 3/8. I might be out of touch but a 3/8 mile track isn't all that big.

I think the smaller the track the more chassis and handling have the greatest impact on overall performance. Just look into what size engine some of the guys running the dome next weekend will have. I've come to like a 3/8 or 1/3 mile track the best. It seems to be the best compromise on chassis and horsepower overall, and the speeds seem to suit me just fine. And I'm not too proud to admit I would probably no longer have the "guts" to run flat out on a big half mile, like old Freeport or Terre Haute. 20 years ago, sure, but not today. Some of my favorite tracks now, and back then, are/were Boswell, Danville (I know, I know...but I still like them), Joliet, and the defunct Red Hill.

I agree with the Jet, Kankakee, LaSalle and FALS are perfect size tracks (never been to FC or Macon but heard they are fun tracks). I'm 65 and also I see I don't have what I had 20 years ago (BIG HUGE BALLS) now I race and finish where I can without taking chances I used to take. Listen to those motors at Joliet the RPM's had to be insane. Please make the track smaller, the racers and fans hate to see cars all spread out playing follow the leader.

Joliet did get a summer nationals date on 6/16/18
    I am what I am