Thread: Just an Idea

Default Just an Idea

The costs of street stocks in our area as sky rocketed. There are also a bunch of older late model chassis' floating around that just aren't competitive with today's technology. What would ya'lls thoughts be on a class that required say a 10+ year old chassis? I know policing these chassis would be a struggle but maybe it would drag a lot of the old cars out from the back corners of some shops and bring some low budget teams back to the track.

I think several places are running a class like this. Cars can't be newer than a certain year (might be hard to prove) and they have to run certain shocks that are supposed to be tamper proof....if you could nail down rules and enforce cheating I think there would be a lot of interest to race late models on the cheap.

Do you happen to know what tracks are doing this? I do agree with you that it would be hard to police.

The mag runs something they call sportsman late model. I dont think they have a chassis restriction but its all 602's with none ajustable, one piece body shocks and a claim rule. Might be even better if they had geared it toward old cars like your cool idea here. Catch 22 though, I'm not a fan of separating all the crate engines into different classes. If you ran afforable build engines we've still created another LM class, taking away from grass roots racing. Would be cool to see some old chassis names on the track again though...better bodies too.

A 10 year rule would be next to impossible to tech and in all honesty, cars hat old can get sketchy, because frames rust from the inside out.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Sportsman's and Pro stock's. Some of them are older LM but most now are also built brand new.

Put a claim rule on the complete car , it can be bought race ready after the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    A 10 year rule would be next to impossible to tech and in all honesty, cars hat old can get sketchy, because frames rust from the inside out.
    Should be pretty easy if the chassis builders cooperate. Most have the serial number welded to the framerail.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by GRT32 View Post
    Put a claim rule on the complete car , it can be bought race ready after the feature.
    Then you win and lose your car and have to make another?

That's been tried in east Tennessee. But what it ended up doing was to get steelhead drivers that couldn't compete with the top drivers to move down. As they moved down, new cars came in and nobody ever checked on ages of the cars.

Make it "no four bar", sealed oil shocks, gauge legal 4412 carb, hard tires... and hire inspectors.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

the last thing dirt racing needs is another class. they even have late model chasis classes with 4 bangers in them surely you can find a class you can afford if not maybe you cannot afford to race

Quote Originally Posted by willyt View Post
    the last thing dirt racing needs is another class. they even have late model chasis classes with 4 bangers in them surely you can find a class you can afford if not maybe you cannot afford to race
    Went to a UMP track one time, that had LM, street stock, Sportsman (which were basically the same minus some engine and suspension rules) outlaw 4 cylinders, stock 4 cylinders (the guy running the stock could've beat the outlaws) and 13 and under 4 cylinders which there were 3 cars.

Sounds like a great idea. Now what classes will be eliminated to get to around three.

No serial number, no race. If the chassis makerdon't keep track of years to serial numbers, they are illegal. It's simple enough, if the track enforces it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Make it "no four bar", sealed oil shocks, gauge legal 4412 carb, hard tires... and hire inspectors.
    yikes.....welcome back 1985!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

How about getting a class with some of those "enhanced" 602 crate motors from Mullins.

Bayko is correct. The rust starts inside the metal, and with a welder anyone can put a serial number on a car. I get tired of hearing crate get tossed into conversations. I am a huge fan of claim rules. Let guys build there motors, steel blocks, with a claim rule on the top ends. Heads, intake and carbs. Build a chevy, build a ford or a mopar. Everyone out there talks about shock prices going crazy. Put a claim rule out there. Claim any corner for X ammount of $$$. Claim it unbolt it right there on the winner's circle. You are never going to stop the cheaters. You hit them in the pocket and you will see change. Enforcement of the rule is why claim rules fail. Many rule makers don't follow the rules they set, and as soon as that happens it all goes down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    yikes.....welcome back 1985!
    Yep.......
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Yep.......
    Ooooops.....I forgot you tryin to get that Taderbilt up to speed!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!