Thread: UMP 2018 rules

Default UMP 2018 rules

Again UMP adds/changes rules for what reason other than to cost car owners more money. QC rears are a joke, if you want a QC run a sportsman. I don't think a 602 crate with a 4bbl Holley 650 will be able to compete with these open 430+ci open motors some are running even with a 100# weight break. The funniest thing is when was the last time ANY of us were really TECHED? driving over the scale and looking at tires is not a tech. I know two SS that ran a 4bbl ALL YEAR and never got caught. But with the 15-18 car counts (used to have 35 every night) no promoter is going to tech and send 3-4 cars home.

You can run quick change in street stocks? That's crazy

I like the ideal you can finally run a quick change. I hated changing the 3rd member when you went to another track. The price of the 3rd members was getting out of hand. Now you can buy gears for 1/4 of the price. It should save the racers money in the long run.

As far as tech it has been a joke for years. I know a track that knew one night a racer was 200 lbs light and then he won the feature. Its hard to find a person to tech when a track promoter over turns the tech person. Once this happens the cheating starts getting out of control. One of the biggest reason I moved on to something else. One less car at the track now. The problem now is I'm not the only one that has moved on. A few season ago the promoter dropped the class all together because of the low car count. If the promoter would of just listen to a few of us about teching cars he still might have class of 20 cars.

I also think its about time to start letting some newer cars to race. The 1985 cars need some updating to something newer. I do not think the 602 crate engine is the way to go either. It will never be teched. They don't even tech the 604 crate motors in the pro late model class. So why would anyone tech the SS 602 class. Let them run the LS engines, the block, heads and intake has to be stock. Then figure out a carb for them to run with the intake. All easy to tech. If you want to race a ford find something comparable to race. It time for the class to move into the next generation. Get back to the stock bodies. I understand that the older cars it was getting harder and harder to find bodies.
    Last edited by ss12; 12-10-2017 at 08:44 AM.
    Haters don't really hate you, in fact they hate themselves because you are a reflection of what they wish to be.

SS12 , our street stocks down here run the nesmith series , this is a general motors organization , and they want you to run there 602 crate motor , for obvious reasons . Now if you want to build your own gm engine or a ford , you have to pull 200 extra pounds and run a 500cfm holley 2brl , the crate engine is not limited to a 600 holley , it say,s they can run any carb they want.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    SS12 , our street stocks down here run the nesmith series , this is a general motors organization , and they want you to run there 602 crate motor , for obvious reasons . Now if you want to build your own gm engine or a ford , you have to pull 200 extra pounds and run a 500cfm holley 2brl , the crate engine is not limited to a 600 holley , it say,s they can run any carb they want.

I really don't mind if they run a crate motor as long as the tech them. I do have a problem when they are limited to just GM. I think they need to have something comparable for ford and dodge. In this area you are basically limited to chassis that are 85's or older. It is time to start letting newer chassis in the class before it dies off. There is going to have to makes some rule changes for this to happen.
    Haters don't really hate you, in fact they hate themselves because you are a reflection of what they wish to be.

SS ,my daughter finally finished school and is teaching school now and making some money, THANK THE LORD , she informed me a few weeks back she is ready to race again so were starting our crown vic chassis street stock project back up again , probably be early summer before ready to test , but i have studied this class pretty well and I think my little ford with a 15 to 1 CR and a 500cfm 2brl on e85 can pull that extra 200 lbs legally ,

FF, I'm jealous I always wanted to do a crown vic. I liked the front end camber and castor adjustment as well the 4 link rear suspension. I Also liked the boxed tube frame. Are you cutting down the frame to 108"? Your daughter is driving?? I raced go karts for many years and one of my 2 daughters got into it. She actually was pretty good she raced for 4 years and won 2 track championships and finished 2nd the other 2 years. There were 2 girls and 6 boys in the classes that they all ran in. We went to some other tracks and won and man there were some mad boys and dads. The only reason we got out of it was because boys became more interesting. LOL (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) boys!! Best of luck to you and your daughter. Glad that your daughter made it through college. Both of my daughters made it through and are using their degrees.

yes , it will be 108 , the front end is great but im using the 98-02 CV and i am more excited about the rear suspension , the way its designed , i dont think it will bind up like the metric.....

Default quick change

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    yes , it will be 108 , the front end is great but im using the 98-02 CV and i am more excited about the rear suspension , the way its designed , i dont think it will bind up like the metric.....
    Can anyone tell me if it is true that you can actually run a quick change rear in a ump street stock ? I cannot find any rules that are printed that says this. If you are building a new car it sure would make things a lot easier.