Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WoO Late Models make significant changes

http://insidedirtracing.com/turn-2-b...icant-changes/

We discuss the changes for the upcoming season on the WoO Late Models tour

One more needed rule: The WoO or Lucas feature will start at 9:30 or 10 pm.

Not a fan of the change . The new format will only add to “already too many flag to flag snoozers” I need a new hobby where there is racing and passing. Good luck getting more local and regional drivers to support that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    One more needed rule: The WoO or Lucas feature will start at 9:30 or 10 pm.
    Im not so sure if they can make that a rule or not. There are too many circumstances that can take place that could keep this from happening. All it takes is a slight rain to push a program back at the minimum an hour. After that the track will be up against that time limit, if started at a normal time.

A good idea would be limiting the amount of lower divisions.

I have a hard time agreeing with the new redraw rule.
    If a guy has fast time and dominates his heat race, but draws a "8" and can't move forward in the feature, that's the fault of inferior track prep. Not a pill draw. Sad excuse for a rule change.
    8/13/16

I agree 100%.....not sure why a lot of Dirt late Model fans didn't like the redraw. No problem with it in the sprint car and Big Block Modified world......Those fans would go ballistic if the rules were changed.

All the new redraw deal does is the obvious. Makes it a lot easier for the guy who won 17 features to win a few more and go wire to wire instead of working his way to the front. Foolish idea IMO

For the most part the Woo races were often pretty good, especially with faster cars often having to work their way to the front.

You mean the fastest guy has to actually work his way to the front? Oh the humanity....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    All the new redraw deal does is the obvious. Makes it a lot easier for the guy who won 17 features to win a few more and go wire to wire instead of working his way to the front. Foolish idea IMO

For the most part the Woo races were often pretty good, especially with faster cars often having to work their way to the front.
    The WoO had more races won from the first two rows than did Lucas last year.

I think the rule change on the lottery is great. I can understand why some fans think it sucks, but this is sport and drivers make their living doing this. The fastest drivers shouldn't be penalized for the sake of manufactured excitement for the fans. If the racing isn't good enough to produce excitement, then fix the racing, don't penalize the drivers for doing their job.

The one change that hasn't been as talked about is allowing the drivers to take their top 2 finishes from Speedweeks rather than all of them. I wish Lucas would do the same. I have long felt that SpeedWeeks was weighted too heavily for the championship because they run so many nights at the same tracks. Very smart decision in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    The WoO had more races won from the first two rows than did Lucas last year.
    Lack of depth on the tour. Fewer 100 lap races. Sheppard beating the odds on draws or at least having a much better average start than Madden.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Per Woo’s website , the top five in points won 76 percent of the 43 races held last year. Which all other participants held on to 24 percentage as victors. That translates into 1 out 8 racers had the best chances of winning. With the new format, only the heat winners will be in the first redraw. One out of four , which is 50!per cent less than last for drivers having the best chances of winning. The new theory says that last years 24 per cent of all others having the best chances of winning will drop to 12.5 . How does that new format help the over all show? I have my suspicions who has been the major push for the change. Most likely a driver with “ much “less than 14 wins.

Even Rigsby started supporting the change in format before it was announced. DLM racing doesn't need NA$$Crap gimmicks to put on a great show.

A guy who didn't really get suspended?? He was the loudest opponent of the redraw. Didn't realize his pull before...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

and honestly if Madden had better starts than Sheppard he still would have lost....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    A guy who didn't really get suspended?? He was the loudest opponent of the redraw. Didn't realize his pull before...
    They need to keep someone on tour who can get close to the 1 car occasionally. It was pretty obvious he was the only one most of the season. With Marlar making a run maybe they will have 2 guys now. Maybe ol coconut will get something worked out in the offseason too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    The one change that hasn't been as talked about is allowing the drivers to take their top 2 finishes from Speedweeks rather than all of them. I wish Lucas would do the same. I have long felt that SpeedWeeks was weighted too heavily for the championship because they run so many nights at the same tracks. Very smart decision in my opinion.
    I disagree, if there are too many races at one place, make only two of them points races. To throw out bad finishes and keep good ones, sets a bad president. Just make the last two nights points nights, otherwise all of those races should count less than the other races on the tour. If you don't race everyone, which you haven't if they can throw that finish away, you won a lesser race. This sounds like a path leading to NASCAR chase to the race, fabricated entertainment. One of the main reasons that so many fans quit watching. Count all of them or none of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    I have a hard time agreeing with the new redraw rule.
    If a guy has fast time and dominates his heat race, but draws a "8" and can't move forward in the feature, that's the fault of inferior track prep. Not a pill draw. Sad excuse for a rule change.
    Good post. Really, do time trials have a place in side by side racing. They are a Drag racing thing, not a dirt track thing. It's not just how fast you are but how fast you are with other cars out there with you.

I grew up having to qualify each week... nearly all tracks did 40 years ago. I didn't like it but it was part of the show... fans came early to record their favorites times. Today group qualifying is a breeze.

I'll say it again... make qualifying as important as winning. Put enough cash and points on the line to force the top guys to run hard... then make them start at the tail. Make them work for the win.

Run a trophy dash for some serious cash. Six laps balls out would be a good show.

It the racers own fault that they want these super smooth slick tracks so their finicky four bar cars don't get out of shape.

Back to working on my Model T...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019