Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Ray Cooks new droop rule

Just seen where there is a new droop rule for 2018. Not sure if it is good or bad? What ya think?

I don't pretend to know anything about the mechanics of a dirt late model. However I will say it is crazy to see just how high the rear deck's of some of these cars get at races I go to as a fan and to announce. It sounds like a good step for safety reasons. Seen one turn over at Wythe this summer at the summer nationals race and another one at 311 at an Ultimate show and both were a scary sight so if doing this helps keep one from turning over then I'm for it.
    Tyler Williams, Announcer for the Southeast Dirt Modified Series, co-host of The Half Priced Concessions Podcast - available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, YouTube and on www.anchor.fm/HPCpodcast

I dont think the bar lengths are the same on every car.

I think it might be pretty hard to enforce.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    I dont think the bar lengths are the same on every car.
    Nope. Not at all.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I think it might be pretty hard to enforce.
    Unless they plan on getting measurements of just about every chassis out there, past and present. I dont see it being an easy task either.

Unless they plan on getting measurements of just about every chassis out there, past and present. I dont see it being an easy task either.
    It doesn't require that to enforce the rule.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I just know the drop of 14 black diamond, isn't the same on a 16. The difference in the heights of the frame rails are not the same. I'm not tech or bar guru at all. I just can't see how they can enforce this when 2 cars of the same brand are not the same.

So what is required to enforce it then? Cuz it seems like to me they want everyone on the same measurement.

I just know the drop of 14 black diamond, isn't the same on a 16. The difference in the heights of the frame rails are not the same. I'm not tech or bar guru at all. I just can't see how they can enforce this when 2 cars of the same brand are not the same.

So what is required to enforce it then? Cuz it seems like to me they want everyone on the same measurement.
    They need a flat surface, a jack, and a tape measure. Your rear stops soon enough or it doesn't. Now, there are a million ways to game this, but the measurement isn't hard. Any car can have any amount of droop you want, within reason.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds like they have done away the limiter devices too, chain only. That might grind a few peoples gears.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds like they have done away the limiter devices too, chain only. That might grind a few peoples gears.
    Oh yeah? I hadn't heard that. Figured I had a little time til I needed to dig into the rules.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Great news! Step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Oh yeah? I hadn't heard that. Figured I had a little time til I needed to dig into the rules.
    One of the very first things on the post that Chris Tilley posted, said "no drupe limiter permitted, chain only."

One of the very first things on the post that Chris Tilley posted, said "no drupe limiter permitted, chain only."
    So that is just for Ray's deal? It really is necessary for the measurement he is taking. So is a bunch of other things that so far has been overlooked.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

That's all I've seen it for so far are Rays stuff.

There are several drivers that are speaking their mind about it on Facebook. They definitely shook the hornets nest. Haha

It's hard to take a man seriously when he uses the words "drupe" and "swung". Hey Ray how about proof reading. Let's try droop and slung. LOL!

The chassis brand doesn't matter in the video he says the are going to measure the deck height at full droop I believe he said 47 inches at full droop.

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    The chassis brand doesn't matter in the video he says the are going to measure the deck height at full droop I believe he said 47 inches at full droop.
    The chassis brand does matter though because the rules say that cars have to have underslung bars, because that's where they're going to jack the cars up at. I know Mastersbilt and Swartz still build cars without them, and I'm sure there are others out there too

Im speaking on the fact that people were saying different chassis had different drop length measurements they could easily jack the car under the seat. With that being said I think this is a stupid rule, the smaller you make the box the higher you drive up the price to be competitive,