Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Congrats Christopher Bell, Chili Bowl Thoughts, 6 Nights In 2019

Congrats to C. Bell on his second Chili Bowl Championship. 2 in a row, actually. Larson seemed to be in control till he blew the motor. Maybe next year.

The first 3 prelim nights racing begged the question as to whether it’s possible to see any better racing. Friday prelim night lacked track prep quality in comparison but still decent racing. Larson’s blown engine in the Saturday night A-main deprived us as fans the racing that was surely going to ensue late in that race.

Another incredible week of racing and I might get accused of being open wheel arrogant but the drivers this event draws are the best dirt drivers in the world and it shows every night! The moves some of them make appear to defy logic and basic physics.

No way of knowing just how big this event will get but it hasn’t peaked yet. This years racing won't expedite any peak in interest. Simply put The Chili Bowl is a mega dirt show and looks to stay that way!!

It's the best racing in the country hands down.

Great racing would of been better if Kyle Larson hadn't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by race14 View Post
    It's the best racing in the country hands down.
    Yes it is race14 but you have to be careful around here. Saying such things will get you labeled open wheel arrogant! LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    Great racing would of been better if Kyle Larson hadn't broke.
    You are right 3 wide. Larson and Bell were the class of the field and when Larson broke Bell was in a class of his own. The kid that left a lasting impression besides Bell & Larson was Tanner Thorson. He had to fight his way into the A-main and he passed more cars than anyone.

That place was mad house Saturday night. There must have been 4000 people in the pits that couldn’t get seats watching on the jumbotrons!!

Quite a few dlm drivers competing too...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Hudson O'Neal did much better than I expected (not that I expected he'd do bad). Shirley was solid also. McCreadie ran good but you can hardly count him, he's been running that race for over a decade and has won it.

Bells iracing car looks so good

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Hudson O'Neal did much better than I expected (not that I expected he'd do bad). Shirley was solid also. McCreadie ran good but you can hardly count him, he's been running that race for over a decade and has won it.
    O Neil kept his nose clean and advanced 1 letter of the alphbet (D to C) although he started up front and held his position. Shirley looked good in the same C-main as O.Neil but Shirley passed several more cars than O Neil. Not a bad showing at all. Mc Creadie missed making the final out of the B-main by 1 or 2 spots. T-Mac looked good on his prelim night and in the Race of Champions. This year was Shirleys 3rd or 4th Chili Bowl.

O Neil and Shirley had a better showing than the guy that the late model driver they call Superman did last year.

HA! Stevie Wonder could have had a better showing than JD last year. Bloomer ran like crap a few years back too. This stuff is harder than it looks. The driving styles are so different, it is hard to un-train your mind on how to set a car in the corner that is 900 lbs instead of 2500.

There is no doubt in my mind the midgets put on the best show anywhere they go. Can they have an off night sure they can but all in all it's best racing.

Heck CIRF I have been called a lot things on here so, what's one more lol

Put me down as, "Open Wheel arrogant". I spent 30 years in DLM ranks and now the building is on fire but the idiots refuse to pick up a hose and put it out. I'll take "Non-wing" sprints for $200, please.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

T-mez made it had hands full in A not bad for everything he had going on.

HA! Stevie Wonder could have had a better showing than JD last year. Bloomer ran like crap a few years back too. This stuff is harder than it looks. The driving styles are so different, it is hard to un-train your mind on how to set a car in the corner that is 900 lbs instead of 2500.
    zach, it obviously is very different but as has been said many, many times, a racer is a racer. McCreadie won the Saturday A-main in only his second attempt so it can be done but except in rare cases it takes more than just one attempt. JD, and especially bloomy, enjoy being big fish in a small pond. At The Chili Bowl even the very best dirt late model drivers are just another guy trying like hell to advance from the C or D main on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind the midgets put on the best show anywhere they go. Can they have an off night sure they can but all in all it's best racing.

Heck CIRF I have been called a lot things on here so, what's one more lol
    Careful Kid! LOLOL!! I've already been labeled as OWA so I reckon agreeing with you won't deteriorate my standing with the "late model or nothing" crowd any more than it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by CageFaraday View Post
    Put me down as, "Open Wheel arrogant". I'll take "Non-wing" sprints for $200, please.
    Cage, that makes two of us! According to the really smart guys here at 4M the definition of OWA is guys like you and I. I reckon we'll take it and wear it like a badge of honor! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by buster83 View Post
    T-mez made it had hands full in A not bad for everything he had going on.
    T-Mez didn't get out of the C-main. Everyone was totally surprised at that. I've said for a long time now that T-Mez is the closest thing to Jack Hewitt I've seen since Jack stopped racing. The only difference is ol' Jack drove most anything and T-Mez doesn't venture too far from the sprint cars. That doesn't take anything away from T-Mez just the facts.

Cage, I've been out of the loop in regards to racing products for over a decade now. I'm just curious, is Danny Drinan involved with Drinan Racing Products?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    ...the guy that the late model driver they call Superman did last year.
    That would be Jonathan Davenport and I have no doubt if he gets another shot at it he will fair much better. JD has been stellar in everything he's ever raced from karts and legend cars all the way up the ladder. He's from my area and by far the best I have seen in a generation. The Chili Bowl is tough for guys with tons experience, at least O'Neil had also raced a non-wing sprint prior to the CB. Tmac, Shirley and others had past experience also, so...

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Cage, I've been out of the loop in regards to racing products for over a decade now. I'm just curious, is Danny Drinan involved with Drinan Racing Products?
    That is correct.

Youtube
    DRI-BAR, Inc.
    Last edited by CageFaraday; 01-15-2018 at 10:55 AM.

That would be Jonathan Davenport and I have no doubt if he gets another shot at it he will fair much better. JD has been stellar in everything he's ever raced from karts and legend cars all the way up the ladder. He's from my area and by far the best I have seen in a generation. The Chili Bowl is tough for guys with tons experience, at least O'Neil had also raced a non-wing sprint prior to the CB. Tmac, Shirley and others had past experience also, so...
    By fairing much better do you mean getting to the Saturday night C or B-main or do you mean challenging for the win in the Saturday night A-main? I really do think superman can advance to the C or B but I'd venture a guess that challenging guys like Larson, Bell, Rico, Bayston, Grant, Courtney, Thorson, Golobic and Pittman among others might be a bit optimistic. At least I think so, but I've been wrong many times before.

Superman would truly be Superman if he was to pull that off!

That is correct.

Youtube
    DRI-BAR, Inc.
    Cage, I just wondered. Danny Drinan has close relatives in the small town we live closest to. We've ran into Danny on occasion when he's been over here visiting relatives.

I'm surprised on Schatz performance this year. He was my pick to improve and do well this year and he just wasnt there. Just lacks a bit of the agressiveness the chili bowl takes maybe?
    In an interview Keith Kuntz made a comment about studying video of the Swindell's run of dominance and stumbling onto something that would make his cars dominate this year. And Tanner Thorston commented after the B feature that Rusty had a special tune to put on for the A main. Seems like the Kuntz brothers might have shared or found a special something in setup. Not sure they really needed anymore of an edge lol.

Unfortunately, this event has turned into a Kunz and Clauson Marshall party. So that really can't be the standard we would fairly hold guys like JD to. With that being said though, I obviously don't think their dominance is just due to having the best equipment. Not only do they have the best equipment, but when paired with the best drivers, that is hard stuff to compete with.

Nobody other than a Kunz car or a Swindell has won since 2008......aside from Clauson, which thank God he got his glory that year.
    Last edited by zach51; 01-15-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    I'm surprised on Schatz performance this year. He was my pick to improve and do well this year and he just wasnt there. Just lacks a bit of the agressiveness the chili bowl takes maybe?
    In an interview Keith Kuntz made a comment about studying video of the Swindell's run of dominance and stumbling onto something that would make his cars dominate this year. And Tanner Thorston commented after the B feature that Rusty had a special tune to put on for the A main. Seems like the Kuntz brothers might have shared or found a special something in setup. Not sure they really needed anymore of an edge lol.
    Actually, Tanner Thorson drove for DHM this year and had he started more towards the front he'd have been a factor. Thorson was gaining on the leaders the whole second half of the A-main. Not enough laps.

Keith has something figured out, just as Sammy and Kevin did a few years ago. Andy Bondio had a pretty good run for a couple of years, among some others. Soon it will be someone else. These things have a way of revolving from one outfit to another.

I too was surprised that Schatz wasn't more competitive this year. Meseraull surprised many of us, as well.

Unfortunately, this event has turned into a Kunz and Clauson Marshall party. So that really can't be the standard we would fairly hold guys like JD to. With that being said though, I obviously don't think their dominance is just due to having the best equipment. Not only do they have the best equipment, but when paired with the best drivers, that is hard stuff to compete with.

Nobody other than a Kunz car or a Swindell has won since 2008......aside from Clauson, which thank God he got his glory that year.
    zach, as I said above these trends come and go from different car owners. Back in the day it was Steve Lewis and now it's someone else and a few years from now it'll be someone else. The Chili Bowl specific cars completely changed the game, as well. The days of bouncing into Tulsa with a car that won a half dozen USAC National Midget races and expecting to be competitive are pretty much over.

Do you seriously believe that superman could jump in the #71 or #01 car and beat Bell or Larson driving Thorson's #63 car? Definitely not taking anything away from superman and what he's accomplished in DLM's but that seems like a sizable stretch, to say the least.

I'm not saying JD would show up and slap everybody around, but with good equipment and at least a race or two under his belt I could easily see him making the, "A". He has the aggression, no question, but jumping in a CB specific midget and expecting miracles is a bit much to ask. In my view there isn't room for any mistakes at the CB or your done, so no time for a learning curve.