Default Need a dry sump pump recommendation

I’m looking at the 5 stage Peterson R4. Is it dependable? High maintenance? Bulletproof? Something better out there?

As long as you don't hurt the motor they are good. Once anything runs through them they are basically junk, as a rebuild is only 200 less than a new one. The aluminum gears are not good at having anything pass through them. I have always perfered Barnes(and the old Peterson pumps), as they are pretty easy to clean and rebuild and each stage is about 70 bucks if you need to replace.

If you want an amusing conversation call Roy Johnson of Johnson high performance pumps. He will convince you that you only need 15psi at wide open throttle

And he refers to a dry sump tank as a " hareseeevawwww " and says it a few times a sentence

I agree with Talon. R4 pump is a very high quality piece but it will not tolerate even minor debris through it. I have had very good results with the old style Peterson or a SCP with 1.450 bodies.

wulff pumps, he is very easy to work with and his pricing is great too, very very knowledgeable, never had an oil pump issue, broke a rod one time (NOT THE PUMPS FAULT) all of that ran through the pump STILL HAD OIL PRESSURE

i have had some dealings with them all , like said , if engine took care of , they will all perform good , me personally , i still prefer the old weaver bros. or SCP , which is a clone of the weaver , there less expensive and easier to work on to me...JMO.....

That’s what I was guessing on the R4 - that the aluminum gears would be high maintenance. Is there any proof out there on why one pump is better than another?

i'd say any of them are good and i agree with talon's comment