Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kennedy777 View Post
    Are you talking about hiking the RR?
    Yes.......
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I seen that Barry Wright car, that adjuster is cool. Nice to have if you wanted to really boost up the LR for a feature, or different track, crank it down say an inch, lower the LR and the raise the deck back up. You could work it out in the shop on your smasher numbers for the LR, probably the LF and RR too i guess to get back to your set up, and change the whole attitude of the car dynamically.

Overall thats what i am trying to do, make more room for the RF shock to expose more shaft for available travel. Plus not lose to much shaft trying to maintain a higher static ride height, aka the preloading question.

One thing i find intriguing, Bloomquist doesn't run all that crazy camber. His car lifts high, but the nose inst burred in the ground like the longhorns or the disco mobiles either. He seems to make it work without going to the extremes.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post

Anyway, i am in the process of mapping my RF shock spring set up and i noticed to get ride height up 1" over std how are they doing this? Only thing i can think of is pre-loading the spring?

So say i have 425lbs on the RF corner static, and i have a 275 lb normal spring. At ride height you would need to compress said spring 1.54". 7" shock would show 5.46" remaining travel. That's if your shock mount can handle that much travel, basically zero droop, most cars have 1" or so? So that puts it down to 4.46" remaining travel. I think thats close to a standard set up.

Anyway is my thinking completely off here?
    Not 100% sure if this is what your asking:

Can you run the car with the RF shock basically extended all the way at ride hieght? meaning when the car is setting on the ground in the pits the 7" stroke shock has 7" of exposed shaft? Not saying it's ideal, but we'd won 5K+ races like that. The car is never in that position except in the pits.

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Yes.......
    I know quite a few mod guys that have been running 4 left and Z right for that reason. Even with relatively tame static bar angles that don’t move the tire rearwards much, the drive angle is always really good and coming off the corner you can see the RR coming up on the gas.

Yes Billet that's what i am after, maybe not the full 7, but 6 would be nice. Then i would probably have to work on rack or cross member clearance.

On the RR thing, on the slick tracks i go to, if i notice the RR doesn't compress coming off the corner or just stays the same ride HGT, the car is usually slow. Most of the fast guys from the middle off compress the RR a little. We race a lot at Florence that's where i notice it.

Just say no...

Yes Billet that's what i am after, maybe not the full 7, but 6 would be nice. Then i would probably have to work on rack or cross member clearance. On the RR thing, on the slick tracks i go to, if i notice the RR doesn't compress coming off the corner or just stays the same ride HGT, the car is usually slow. Most of the fast guys from the middle off compress the RR a little. We race a lot at Florence that's where i notice it.
    I’ve never had any personal success with running the higher drive angles in the RR on slick. But perhaps the drivers doing this kind of thing and making it work for them don’t use up as much of the RR tire capacity on entry to mid, perhaps more roll steer on throttle, maybe running higher bite and softer springs like old school, and then are able to use more of the RR on exit?

I dunno. I’ve seen some guys be really fast and sounds like they’re ripping pretty hard even on a slick. Maybe it’s a brake floater on the left rear deal while trail braking with more throttle or something. Really not sure about that one lol

Yes Billet that's what i am after, maybe not the full 7, but 6 would be nice. Then i would probably have to work on rack or cross member clearance.
    Just to be clear, I'm saying we've ran with 6 to 7" of exposed shaft when at ride height but we aren't using all of that up in travel. Meaning I'm not traveling close to 6" to 7" from standard ride height. There was another reason I needed the shaft exposure and it wasn't travel related in my case which I don't want to get into. I Just didn't want people to misconstrue I was traveling that far.

this may sound dumb but how are you raising the rf 1" above ride height and holding the car up in the pits? like say youre an 1" above and your static ride height wheel weight is usually 450 a 3.5", meaning it takes 450 lbs to hold that corner up. If it takes that much to hold it up, wouldnt you wind up being like 600 lbs at 3.5" wheel weight when the car gets to the normal static ride height? that may be my problem im trying to make the high travel stuff logical with my old way of weighing a car

Cant use the quotes thing, but yes i wanted to have more shaft available to make room for a bump stop or bump spring, and a stack.

Riddle28, not dumb at all i am tring to put all together myself, if you boost your ride height up to 4.5" (over the 3.5") your going to have to decrease your LR the same amount 1" at min. Still you might carry a little more weight on the RF, not sure. So in essence your rocking the car back on the LR, using the LF and RR as the pivot axis.

I think the key would be with all that travel you added, is to keep the spring rate soft enough initially to travel thru it and get the nose down on the track before you add to much weight to the RF corner.

Just say no...

Raise you right front by using a softer right front spring... the key is too keep the same load numbers when the right front is at full compression dynamically which can be done if a softer spring is used with higher ride height (more preload). You shouldn't even need to do much with the left rear (don't worry about static wedge numbers - you can throw them out the window anyway when the left rear is at full drop dynamically). Scale numbers are a thing of the past now.... the only numbers that matter are left side and rear percentages then load numbers when the car is at its dynamic state. It sucks because i spent $1500 on scales a couple years ago and now everything is setup on the spring smasher and I don't even need the scales much.
    Last edited by mickley.28; 01-24-2018 at 10:28 AM.

how do you scale the car for rear percentage with the RF and LR no longer at ride height? My thoughts would be to use another set of shocks and springs that have the same spring rate at correct ride height? Thanks

just scale it where it sits after you set ur loads dont worry to much about ride heights

Quote Originally Posted by 15D View Post
    how do you scale the car for rear percentage with the RF and LR no longer at ride height? My thoughts would be to use another set of shocks and springs that have the same spring rate at correct ride height? Thanks
    Ride heights don't effect percentage beyond the tiny amount from wheelbase change.

so what are they running for left side and rear when they do this

I usually start at 54.5ls% and 53rear%

Looks like alot of guys r running this deal down in flirida5

Florida sorry

I'm going out on a limb here and post this: Actually surprised it hasn't been deleted yet.

https://www.facebook.com/delphcommun...9127984480618/

Let the theories begin, LOL.

What did that car do right before he moved forward? Was it still on the lift?
    Last edited by Racer63; 02-08-2018 at 04:47 PM.