Default Question about mini Late Models

Anyone have or know someone with one of the Sharp Mini Late models? Grew up riding on 600cc and 1000cc bikes most of my life. Look fun to me. Finally at a point in my life where I'm able to possibly make that jump from the grand stands to the track. Thought they might would make a great entry point into the sport. Also, just hard for me to justify the major expense of running higher level classes. At least in the beginning.

Thanks for any input.

I would talk with the group on FB, if you haven't already.
    Just a Sportmod racer at Nelson Boys Racing.

Sharp Mini Late Models or Sharp Chassis

Those sharp mini lates use a ton of mini/micro sprint parts. In a general description, its a micro sprint with a late model body on it. live axle chain drive rear, solid front axle like all sprints have.
    If you already know 600 and 1000cc engines, then you are a step ahead of understanding the biggest headache, the engines. My opinion, they are not better or worse than dealing with a v8, just different. Knowing a good wiring guy and understanding the fuel system is the biggest things with the motorcycle engines.
    The economics of that class would be a great entry level class. I run mod lites and average about $70 expenses per race with pit pass. These sharp lates are even a little bit cheaper than that.
    The one thing will say though, while the costs might be entry level, the short wheel bases and the decent power to weight ratio arent entry level. Taking your time and lots of practice would be key to starting out.
    Great idea and concept, just wish there was more than 1 supplier allowed for all parts and frames as those would be pretty cheap to build your own if it was allowed.

I have a micro 600cc sprint now and have had them on and off for about 12 years now. They might look like "go karts" as some people say, but they are pretty Badda$$ and a blast to drive. I would imagine the little late models would be a lot of fun as well. Good thing is, the engines (if left "stock") are pretty reasonable. You can pop one and spend $1000 or so on another one, strap it in, change oil and plugs and go. The bigger money on those engines gets into the carb/fuel injection package. I just run poor boy stuff, stock 600rr Honda with Yamaha 99-02 model carbs converted for alky. It takes some practice to learn how to make them run good, they are finicky. A lot of the outlaw class cars with run high end fuel injection setups.

I have never seen the mini lates run but I did see what they call "slingshots" (little modifieds) and I thought those were less than exciting. No power.

My opinion on this, and its just that... an opinion, if you want to race a Sharp Mini Late model because you love them and that's what you want to do and where you want to stay, I'd go for it.
    If your intent is to move up to another division and you are using this as a stepping stone, I would think twice or at least look at other options. Seeing these sold for 12k and up USED, I would look to find something that would better prepare you for the upper divisions. For 10k-12k you can find some nice sport mods, where at least you are driving a car with a somewhat relatable suspension . For 12-15k I have seen some decent crate models.... again, something that will better prepare you for an upper division. The mini late models look fun, but with low car counts and minimal places to run... there are better divisions out there for the same money, with more opportunity for seat time, to better prepare you for running a higher division someday.

I don't know if anyone on here will know but what about those Yamaha R1 dirt cars? That looks like it could be a great entry class, but I haven't heard when they would start producing or how much they will cost. Anybody know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by heinen81 View Post
    My opinion on this, and its just that... an opinion, if you want to race a Sharp Mini Late model because you love them and that's what you want to do and where you want to stay, I'd go for it.If your intent is to move up to another division and you are using this as a stepping stone, I would think twice or at least look at other options. Seeing these sold for 12k and up USED, I would look to find something that would better prepare you for the upper divisions. For 10k-12k you can find some nice sport mods, where at least you are driving a car with a somewhat relatable suspension . For 12-15k I have seen some decent crate models.... again, something that will better prepare you for an upper division. The mini late models look fun, but with low car counts and minimal places to run... there are better divisions out there for the same money, with more opportunity for seat time, to better prepare you for running a higher division someday.
    The thing with the bigger cars is that they usually require more help. I help my friend with his Legends car, but really he can manage a night by himself. It's a lot tougher for me to take my sport mod to the track by myself. Whatever you do, find something that runs weekly close by. It's hard to get better if you are only racing a dozen times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter815 View Post
    The thing with the bigger cars is that they usually require more help. I help my friend with his Legends car, but really he can manage a night by himself. It's a lot tougher for me to take my sport mod to the track by myself. Whatever you do, find something that runs weekly close by. It's hard to get better if you are only racing a dozen times a year.
    All good points as well. Whatever he does, best of luck and congrats on getting out there.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Weak_Links View Post
    I don't know if anyone on here will know but what about those Yamaha R1 dirt cars? That looks like it could be a great entry class, but I haven't heard when they would start producing or how much they will cost. Anybody know anything?
    Are you talking about the ones that Ray Evernham was working with 600 Racing on trying to get off the ground? I don't think they ever got off the ground as was hoped. I think there are some out there but not many.

Bottom line is if you want something decent to race on dirt (aside from a go kart, which still ain't cheap), you are going to easily spend $10K to start up on used equipment to get a race ready car, some special tools, etc. Whether its a micro sprint, mini late model, street stock, whatever.

And that was a good point the poster made about the help. You can work on Micro's and small stuff by yourself pretty easily, even changing engines. Everything is smaller, lighter, and bolt on. Not a lot of welding and body work to do. Stock cars/mods, if you barely graze a wall you could bend the frame and spend 5 nights a week trying to fix it.

Also with a micro, you can use a little 5x10 lawn trailer to get it to the track if you have to. No need for a fancy car hauler.

I sure do wish there was a better entry level to dirt racing than what is currently the trend which is the FWD 4-cylinder stuff. Driving FWD develops a lot of bad habits that don't translate well to any other dirt car. And radial tires have no place on a dirt track. And I cringe at some of the safety issues I see in that class. The Yamaha R1 deal could catch on if the price was right but they need to do something about the fact that the entire front 2 feet of the car would fit nicely into the driver side roll cage opening of another car. That looks like an accident waiting to happen. Perhaps a wider front bumper would make more sense.

I personally like the Legends cars for new racers. They have plenty of power for their size, and the racing is often really good. The cars are very easy to work on with basic tools and are limited in the adjustments you can make. The chassis never changes from year-to-year so a ten year old car can still be competitive. You can get a competitive turn-key Legends car for $6k. Most of the expense is in the motor, which I think is $4k new for the sealed motor but you can build your own motor. The biggest pain is the fiberglass body. I agree about the FWD cars. They are cheaper than other classes, but you don't learn much that is transferable. At least the Legends cars are RWD.

Thanks for all the input guys. Know a ton more about bikes than I do cars which was the big attraction for me on this. Thought about micro springs for the same reasons just like the look of the late models better is all. Amount of help is also a factor as it'd likely only be my dad and I. I also travel a good bit during the week for work so would likely only have Thursday and Friday night to work on car. Thanks again for the input.
    Last edited by weatherman85; 01-23-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Are you talking about the ones that Ray Evernham was working with 600 Racing on trying to get off the ground? I don't think they ever got off the ground as was hoped. I think there are some out there but not many.Bottom line is if you want something decent to race on dirt (aside from a go kart, which still ain't cheap), you are going to easily spend $10K to start up on used equipment to get a race ready car, some special tools, etc. Whether its a micro sprint, mini late model, street stock, whatever.
    No the Yamaha R1DT cars they came out with last year. They built like 10 and had a special race. Donnie Moran drove 1 of them. They just haven't started selling them yet.

The sharps cars are fun to drive. Speed to dollars make them a good value.