Thread: Dry sump belt?

Question Dry sump belt?

My Bert flywheel has a 21 tooth gear on it for the belt. I bought a pump with a 30 tooth gear on it. Both HTD. Is this correct and what size belt do I need? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bullittwrench View Post
    My Bert flywheel has a 21 tooth gear on it for the belt. I bought a pump with a 30 tooth gear on it. Both HTD. Is this correct and what size belt do I need? Thanks
    That's pretty fast, typically your in the mid 50% range on speeds but depends on pump and pump size. I'm going off memory here and my be off as it's been a while, 40 tooth upper = 580MM belt length

If your asking about the teeth per inch that's what you need to check. Not the overall tooth count.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    If your asking about the teeth per inch that's what you need to check. Not the overall tooth count.
    I believe he's asking if a 30 tooth pulley is the correct size for the right pump speed and if it is, what's the belt length needed when mounted on a typical bell housing.

Teeth count sets the pump speed, he'd be turning it like 70% engine speed which is very fast for a typical dry sump. The common upper pulley size is generally a 40 tooth pulley when using mounted to a bert/brinn type 21 tooth lower.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 01-20-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Ah, I see.

With a 40 tooth it's pretty typical to run a 640mm belt, but still gonna depend on bell housing mount and oil pump mount.

It’s a Bert reverse set up. I didn’t think 30 teeth on the pump seemed correct.