Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pierce claims to be first

In this article he claims to be the first to use docol. Seems pretty easy to claim something if people can't prove it to deny it. Or does it show how poor of a bussiness man he is to have stumbled on to it and not profit from it or atleast make his son unbeatable?https://racingnews.co/2018/01/28/bob...ce-car-design/

I highly doubt he was the first to use it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

His son did win a few big races on a chassis using docol tubing. It’s hard to take advantage of that when nobody besides your son is winning at a high level.

I’m guessing this is where the term Pierce Platinum came from.

Anybody know whats the difference in price between regular steel tubing and this stuff?

I think its about $600 over DOM, thats a LM chassis, price per foot not sure.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by PBR66 View Post
    In this article he claims to be the first to use docol. Seems pretty easy to claim something if people can't prove it to deny it. Or does it show how poor of a bussiness man he is to have stumbled on to it and not profit from it or atleast make his son unbeatable?https://racingnews.co/2018/01/28/bob...ce-car-design/
    That stuff was in drag racing for years before a LM was built from it. There is no real magic to it. Not like it will make a car a winner due to tubing.

Are all xr-1's being built with this or is it a upgrade ?

I wouldn't surprise me to find out that Bloomquist has at least experimented with this. Didn't he use some kind of different shaped tubing several years back? Like teardrop shaped or something to that effect?

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerHarvickFan View Post
    I wouldn't surprise me to find out that Bloomquist has at least experimented with this. Didn't he use some kind of different shaped tubing several years back? Like teardrop shaped or something to that effect?

I think that was the car he called "Airplane"
    the cage was made from an aircraft wing tubing shaped like a teardrop. I think he done it for aero, and the wow factor.

at least that was the story I heard..
    it was more than likely a moly of some sort.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I talked with the Docol reps at PRI back in 2013, and they had mentioned to their knowledge, that only one dirt late model chassis maker had used it up to that point. The Docol reps were from Sweden if I remember correctly, and outside NHRA and some European stuff, they had said it wasn't being utilized much in dirt or rally stuff yet. I cant remember who they said made a DLM with it, because it was not one of the majors and it definitely wasn't Pierce. A few sprint car chassis makers have used it as an option as well, and up to today, it was not favored for those who tried it. As I write this, I am almost sure they said Lazer/Bernheisel (sp?).

SSAB recently exhibited at the PRI trade show (Performance Racing Industry) to educate more people about R8 tubing and its use for safety critical applications as well as to increase awareness of SSAB’s production capabilities. The staff also held daily seminars at the show.

“PRI is the largest motorsports exhibition of its type in the world,” said Kim. “It is a great forum for us to showcase who we are and what we do.”

Almost everything you need to build a race car or racing bike can be seen at this show—from fabricators of roll cages and chassis to engines, suspension, racing apparel, wheels, software and more. The show was held recently in Indianapolis, Indiana—the hub of motor sports in the U.S. and home for many of the racing teams.

“The attention we got at the show was amazing,” said Kim. “Nowhere else in the world is racing as popular as it is in the U.S.”
    SSAB’s Docol tubing passed stringent tests and was approved in 2012 by the SFI Foundation which administers standards for quality assurance of specialty performance and racing equipment internationally. The approval was expanded to all SFI drag racing chassis in 2015.

“We’ve come a long way since the initial qualification of the product,” said Kim. “We used to hear customers ask what the product is—now they say I’ve heard about it and want to know more.”

Beyond drag racing, the product is growing in popularity among other applications as well. “We’ve received inquiries from rally car manufacturers, late model dirt and off road vehicles as well as from NASCAR wanting to know more about the material,” said Kim.

Docol R-Series Tubes had been produced in Borlange but production will be moving to Finland in the near future primarily at the Hämeenlinna plant or Lappohja as a second option.

About Docol R-Series Tubing
    • Roll formed tube with longitudinal weld
    • Highly ductile even in the heat affected zone; in crash situation absorbs a lot of energy before cracking
    • Accepted by SFI who sets the safety standards for the racing industry
    • Available as R-8 tubing (tensile strength of 800 MPa/116ksi) and R-10 (tensile strength of 1000 MPa/145ksi)
    • Equivalent strength as Chrome-Moly 4130 with better ductility and weldability
    • Weldable in MIG & TIG

seem,s like a great material from what ive studied it , just seem,s like someone would figure out how to make it here......

Sounds something like N series Chromemoly. 4130N Normalized with heat treat process. Does it have a SAE or AN number?

Bloomer did something with an oval shaped tubing I think for aero under the car. It was banned in the name of safety. Frankly, and I'm a fan of Bloomquist, he has always been a little lax on safety but usually has valid arguments as to why. He was a late adopter of full containment seats sighting the increased difficulty in right side egress. He was a late adopter of window bars sighting the danger associated with decreased visibility. And he was a late adopter of fire suppression systems sighting the danger of the chemicals being used...although I think the chemicals in use now are better.
    Anyway...Docol is some cool stuff and even if some US manufacturers get into I wouldn't expect the price to go down immediately. DoM in general I think is where the manufacturing cost goes up which is completely separate from the raw material cost. I have a client than manufacturers steel tubing (welded and DoM) and I'm going to make it a point to talk to someone more knowledgeable on the subject of cost next time I'm there. I've seen both manufacturing processes on factory tours I've taken there and it is really neat to watch if you're into that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Are all xr-1's being built with this or is it a upgrade ?
    All XR1 are being built with it. The Rocket1 primary car had 131 races on it.

I think I remember seeing Mike Boland at Trak-Star being the first to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
    All XR1 are being built with it. The Rocket1 primary car had 131 races on it.
    It almost certainly would have with DOM tubing as well. Likewise a docol car with a flaw at a weld end can rip apart in 10 races. Saw it myself.

The Docol has a very slightly smaller tube diameter and is slightly thinner than the 4130 steel.

I have heard of several DoCol cars roll cage ripping apart at the weld. but they are trying to use .83-.65 thickness in the cages.... suicide if you ask me.

I think in the name of safety that all latemodel and modified chassis should have a rule of a 1 3/4 .095 material rule.
    don't care if it is Moly/DoCol/Dom. All Hoops and Halos in the main rollcage cage structure connecting to the main framerails should be that size and thickness. After that, do whatever you want to.

just the thoughts from a guy who does drive....and has a family.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    I have heard of several DoCol cars roll cage ripping apart at the weld. but they are trying to use .83-.65 thickness in the cages.... suicide if you ask me.I think in the name of safety that all latemodel and modified chassis should have a rule of a 1 3/4 .095 material rule.don't care if it is Moly/DoCol/Dom. All Hoops and Halos in the main rollcage cage structure connecting to the main framerails should be that size and thickness. After that, do whatever you want to.just the thoughts from a guy who does drive....and has a family.
    Yes perimeter cage and halo .095 no chassis manufacturer should be able to sell anything less...