Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Exploding Wheel - Injury

https://racingnews.co/2018/02/07/bra...ing-inflation/

I'm not sure what needs to be done, but this is no longer the side of a trailer we're talking about. Two people have gotten hurt, seriously, and we've barely started the season.

I just hope the EPJ crew member (JC Wright) and Loyet are able to make full recoveries.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 02-07-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Anybody know what brand EPJ was using?

Lets try and not make a joke of this one..... This is no joke! Wishing a full recovery.

https://racingnews.co/2018/02/02/tir...duled-release/

This is about the EPJ incident. It doesn't say what brand.

Definitely makes me rethink how I do things. My shop is a good 200 feet behind my house, and I typically like to work when everyone else is sleeping. Sounds like Loyet benefited from the aid of one of his guys.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 02-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Sounds like a bad batch of wheels, if they are the same brand.

35lbs of air in a LM tire? Wow that’s crazy, sounds like the bead is over sized not allowing the tire to seat easily.

Just say no...

Krom, welds failed and the wheel came apart. In EPJ's case they where stretching a tire not seating the bead.

The other: "“Secondly if you own even one Keizer wheel throw it in the trash! I’ve aired up thousands of tires and am very lucky to even be writing this right now. Weld broke clean off on only one side as it did not penetrate both pieces of metal! Spend the money and pay for quality!” Doesn't say anything about PSI that I saw

We typically inflate new tires to 30psi after mounting, for 5 minutes,then let all the air out and inflate to race pressure. Never had a problem. If a wheel comes apart, I have to believe it had fatigue cracks long before it let loose. INSPECT YOUR WHEELS!!!!

Hopefully Keizer sues his ass for slander

We have aired up thousands of them too BBC. We are all very lucky to have never blown 1 up. Krom, we stretch over half the tires we mount. Trying to find that perfect rollout. I for 1 dont inflate any of ours over 30lbs. Not saying that has helped but I still haven't blown any up before. Those things are nothing but a rubber hand grenade so I treat them carefully.
    As far as wheels go. 99% of ours are Weld. Never had an issue with them. I guess Duralite is the only kind we have cussed before. Never had any of the Keizer wheels so I can't give an opinion. From what dealings we have with Stuckey and all the guys at B/D, I would be willing to bet it was a Weld wheel that blew. Another thing to consider with Stuckey. That is a new team. Everything they have is new. No matter the brand of wheel, it seems to have had a defect in it.
    FWIW. JC had successful arm surgery and is back at EastBay with the B/D team.

if its true Keizer should be called out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by slmcrewchief99 View Post
    We have aired up thousands of them too BBC. We are all very lucky to have never blown 1 up. Krom, we stretch over half the tires we mount. Trying to find that perfect rollout. I for 1 dont inflate any of ours over 30lbs. Not saying that has helped but I still haven't blown any up before. Those things are nothing but a rubber hand grenade so I treat them carefully.
    As far as wheels go. 99% of ours are Weld. Never had an issue with them. I guess Duralite is the only kind we have cussed before. Never had any of the Keizer wheels so I can't give an opinion. From what dealings we have with Stuckey and all the guys at B/D, I would be willing to bet it was a Weld wheel that blew. Another thing to consider with Stuckey. That is a new team. Everything they have is new. No matter the brand of wheel, it seems to have had a defect in it.
    FWIW. JC had successful arm surgery and is back at EastBay with the B/D team.
    Same 30 PSI is my max but I usually stay around 25ish

Tough dude if he is back at the track already, glad he is thou.

I must be to wimpy I guess 25lbs is all I ever would go lol.

Bad welds thou, that’s not good.

Personally never seen a wheel come a part, knock on wood, inspecting your wheels thou is a good idea. Might be able to spot a stress crack early.

Just say no...

I got to admit, when I inspect wheels I mostly look at the center for cracks as in the past that is where you usually see them before it rips the center out of the wheel. I have never seen a crack around a weld area yet but probably will do a better job looking from now on.

Anyone remember all the wheel failures they had a Bristol when the put dirt on it. The wheels just weren't strong enough, most had to go to the HS wheel over the XL which is the common wheel used. That was years ago too, are the cars fast enough now to cause more failures?

Might be time to think about using a tire cage like is used in the trucking and ag industries.... if nothing else inflate the tire with the bead lock facing down.

This comes from a guy who likes open face helmets!

https://martinsindustries.com/en/pro...BoC8yAQAvD_BwE
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Seems like a couple years back bloomer had a lot of wheel failures (before his explosion) and he admitted it was his fault because he wanted his spun so thin to save weight.

Lots of lube will help seat the bead... seen a few explode after the operator used 50 lbs to seat the bead.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Hopefully Keizer sues his ass for slander
    lol

If his Keizer wheel came a part because of a bad weld then it's not slander.

Jeremy Justice, formerly of Clint Bowyer's team lost a finger from a wheel exploding.