Thread: Crate starter

Default Crate starter

Looking for the best crate engine starter/ battery combination! Currently running a stock corvette starter and a parts store battery! Car struggles to start after a feature when it’s good and hot! Thanks for the info!

suppose i have a mini starter and a walmart cheapo battery 2 seasons on it still going. cranking amp could be an issue, ive got 700ca battery. could be your timing, could be fuel. in what way does it struggle to start?

When it’s hot it cranks slow and when you flip the ignition switch it will barely turn over! When it cools off it cranks fine again!

put a XS or ROCK 16 volt battery system in it, and you will be good to go.
    I recommend it to everyone that brings me their cars to work on that complain of that same issue.
    Also put a ground strap on the starter mounting bolt to the chassis. I believe that helps that as well.
    also move voltage to MSD or ignition system helps too.

costs a bit more up front, but in the long run if you take care of it all, battery will last longer too.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 02-14-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Could be starter dragging when it gets hot or a timing issue or fuel leakage from carb or both. JMO

ya i agree sounds like starter is kinda going anyways, i would get a $140 hi tq mini starter and a good 650 cca (minimum) battery. suppose if you can run a 16v battery go for it, sportmods in imca cant. after all that id still check timing and fuel.

Thanks for the help guys! Think I’m gonna put a 16v system and a high torque mini starter and see how it goes!

powermaster starters are made for all budgets, 127-300$ The more you pay the better they are and longer theyll last.

Hitachi psl100 has always worked well for me..even on 15 to 1 motors we used to run. Cheap and the lightest out there. 7.5lbs

If I install the 16v system, is there anything special I need to install? Heard I needed a t step down box to run the 12v stuff?

I ran an Turbo Start one because I had the Quick Car extreme gauge panels that had the LED lights in them, with the warning lights internal to the gauge.
    If you are running standard gauges, with replaceable bulbs you will be fine.
    Gauges will be a bit brighter, but you should see no problems with anything with the additional 4-5 volts.
    it is better to be over volted than under by a few volts in this case.

Part of the 12v stuff can be the long runs of crappy wire and grounds. If you do a voltage drop test at the starter when cranking that'll give you the info you need to correct the problem.
    In my experiance, 12v is plenty when the electrical system is up to snuff.

I think the ground strap from starter mount bolt to the engine plate bolt, even helped my 16V stuff