Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do we need to change FLA Speedweeks?

Do we need to move it away from the same time as the Daytona 500 week? I know there is some cross over, but probably not really that much. Wonder what you all think?

People still watch nascrap, shows how out of tune I'm with Nascar.

NAPCAR should change their schedule to not interfere with Speedweeks.

Stands were full every night. Why change anything?

It would certainly help with hotel costs at Volusia. Did my usual this year hitting East Bay, Bubba, and a couple at Volusia before heading home just when the Daytona crowd hits town. Lodging costs skyrocket come the middle of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by 20fan View Post
    Stands were full every night. Why change anything?
    I agree. They announced it was a record crowd for the week at Volusia!

Nascrap may have hurt them a little, but not much! I used to always got to the twins and then to Volusia, but not since they switched the times!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I say move it just because of the hotels upping the prices so much

Quote Originally Posted by dirty bert View Post
    I say move it just because of the hotels upping the prices so much
    One HUGE reason!! And we could stand on our own as racing folks!! Adjust the schedule either way to get away from The Daytona 500. It was just a question some of us were discussing lately and wondered what the masses thought! For those of you who have the money to spare, it's no big deal! But many of us have to adjust the races we attend because of the $$! Again, just a question!

The tracks don't give a rat's behind how much hotels are charging. If the stands are full there's no reason to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by champion24 View Post
    One HUGE reason!! And we could stand on our own as racing folks!! Adjust the schedule either way to get away from The Daytona 500. It was just a question some of us were discussing lately and wondered what the masses thought! For those of you who have the money to spare, it's no big deal! But many of us have to adjust the races we attend because of the $$! Again, just a question!
    I think you would see a BIG drop at Volusia if they did that! A lot of those Nascrap fans are dirt fans too!

WOO ended the series there one fall. The stands were 1/3 full and did not get a full field of supers!

Im a native Floridian and this time of the year, the northerners cause the hotel rates to increase dramatically. I go to Eastbay every year and pay double the normal rate because of this time of year!

Its not all due to Speedweeks!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    The tracks don't give a rat's behind how much hotels are charging. If the stands are full there's no reason to change anything.
    totally agree. been going down for 25 years now and see no reason to change a thing. as much as most people on here hate nascar it does have an effect on how many people are going to the short tracks. leave it alone!!!
    Last edited by old84; 02-18-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    lifetime racetrack counter: 126 tracks 11 different states

Do we need to move it away from the same time as the Daytona 500 week? I know there is some cross over, but probably not really that much. Wonder what you all think?
    When would be a better time? Speedweeks have been on these dates for 40 plus years.. There isn’t any dates that would work any better. So the answer to your question NO.

I liked the times NASCAR ran all races in the daytime. I would go to DIS during the daytime and hit the short tracks at night. I am sure the Daytona race brings a lot of fans down to the short tracks.

I say messing with Speedweeks is the dumbest thing you could do. There still is cross-over and its a big cross-cultural party. You try to schedule a 2nd speedweeks after the traditional stuff at big track and pavement tracks that don't want to change and I think it'll go flat.

Won't be a ghost town by any stretch, but it'll go flat and won't be too long before it'd lose it's buzz and be just dates on the calendar.
    "The Wise One"

I still don't think there is much cross over from the Nascar crowd at Daytona. Most of their events are in or run into the evening, as are all of our dirt races. At Talladega for instance, there is more cross over from the big track. You can race all day and all night, and get to see both types easily. They don't interfere with the other track.

We were thinking the easiest change would be to flip flop East Bay and Volusia weeks. Just a thought!

We were thinking the easiest change would be to flip flop East Bay and Volusia weeks. Just a thought!
    That's what I was thinking. No conflict with napcar fans in Tampa during the second week. The days of going to Daytona during the day and Volusia at night are over since Daytona moved their start times so late in the day.

Exactly, Bullring! But from what we've heard on here, many just do NOT want to change! That's fine! And Cage, just changing the dates of the exact same programs(East Bay/Lucas and Volusia/WOO) was what we were thinking. I'm well aware of Volusia and WOO situation. We discussed another topic that I wondered about 4mers thoughts, but no way I'm even asking for opinions on it!! Maybe many of you have plenty of money and don't mind spending it!!

I thought this year was great due to Screven getting rained out. Best in Dirt late models for 2 weeks going against each other every single night. So In my humble opinion, the only change that needs to be made is Screven needs to find dates that dont overlap with eastbay so we can have even more racing with every big name able to attend. All of us fans would be pretty spoiled if this happened.

Flip the dates? Why on earth would WoO want to move their WoO Sprints from the first week to the 2nd? I don't think WoO has interest in baking Volusia as a whole back 1 week. I think you miss your window and possibly go up vs. Super Bowl. I don't know any good reason why they would flop the Late with the Sprints. I think we all know their bread is buttered with the Sprints, so they are going to take care of those guys first.
    "The Wise One"