Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats next?

I,m afraid you have exceeded my pay grade , but , good luck with that.......

Graphene is that like Jethrine Bodine? https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost...=295286;d=this

Quote Originally Posted by CCHIEF View Post
    Graphene is that like Jethrine Bodine? https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost...=295286;d=this
    LOL Noooooo! Check out some random videos on graphene used in polymers.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5q5dCuptXmc https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KXvEepLSoDE http://www.thisisinsider.com/graphen...r-bands-2017-8 It won’t be long until we see it in literally everything.

It’s expensive now, but because of how common it is, and once production methods scale up, and demand goes up, it will be pretty cheap and found in almost everything we use.

https://youtu.be/OZW3a-AvEgE Here is a link showing how much more flame resistant graphen reinforced plastic is compared to more common plastic.Here is another video showing how strong it is when mixed into plastic.https://m.youtube.com/https://youtu....?v=YXZ1gfJMtW4

as far as a DLM goes , what would be the purpose of making the plastic components , allowed to be used , stronger ? carbon fiber wheels have been around for a while , but there banned by most tracks and sanctions , so I doubt it would ever be allowed for wheels , I,m just curious as to where you think this product could , or would be allowed , to be used and the benefit ......

Very cool stuff ! Could you add it to plastic, or some foam type polymer and inject into a tube to make the tube stronger? Would be useful in roll cages, driver area per say. Also stiffening portions of the chassis.

Additive in tires would be interesting too, i doubt anyone at Hoosier would want to do anything to add life to a tire LOL...

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    i have wandered about going to a down tube chassis , with a bar running from the top , right corner of cage , to where top of right front shock is , kind of like a sprint cage , with the load being applied to the right front these days , less flex might help......TNT built one like this several years back....
    Im not sure but think the KILLER chassis has the bars like that .

Quote Originally Posted by old17ford View Post
    Im not sure but think the KILLER chassis has the bars like that .
    they do , there was a paraplegic guy from north alabama , named mark dowdy , that they built him a special chassis that he could get in and out of and drive , very good people , but like the rest of the small chassis builders , hard to get recognition with out a well known driver driving your stuff......

The late Jim Watson built a dlm with downbars in the late 80's...ran it at Hales Corners and maybe some open shows around the Midwest.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    as far as a DLM goes , what would be the purpose of making the plastic components , allowed to be used , stronger ? carbon fiber wheels have been around for a while , but there banned by most tracks and sanctions , so I doubt it would ever be allowed for wheels , I,m just curious as to where you think this product could , or would be allowed , to be used and the benefit ......
    I’m not talking wheels like rims. I mean the actual rubber of the tire. Even a graphene oxide latex mixed with the compound would increase the tires life and grip quite a bit. If smaller layers of that hexagonal lattice were separated it would crystallize inside the compound offering tremendous gains. As for plastics, anything plastic you could extend the life of. If you had the option to purchase a stronger lighter material that was plastic for like 5 dollars more would you? Of course. Thing is to get gains in plastic you don’t even need pristine graphene, you can use the graphene oxide which is much easier to produce. Another thing I had mentioned was it’s use in alloys. Now the average guy won’t be able to make the alloy, but give it time, you’ll see some magnetic steel graphene alloys being used to increase the strength of steel and make it lighter. This means you could either use thinner material to get the same strength but much lower weight, OR same thickness with greater strength and less weight. Because you need so little, the price I believe won’t change much. Maybe at first but it is literally so easy to produce that competition will drive the price down very quick. Basically lightening up the entire structure of the car will allow for better weight placement within the car itself, increasing the ability to start and stop turning. Even things like springs, when you reduce the weight of spring steel, you decrease inertia and improve responsiveness within the spring itself. Graphene sponge was just used in the new Samsung battery, which charges much faster and holds a charge much longer. This will allow for better battery and charging systems, power delivery to the engine and increased speed. Graphene itself is the most conductive material known to man, also the strongest. You’ll never have damaged wires. Another thing about graphene oxide is mixed with plastic it takes a retarded amount of heat to melt it. In the event that your car catches fire, your plastic components won’t melt. Sooooo.. sure it’s one thing to run a lighter material in one spot on the car, but let’s say everything about the car becomes lighter and stronger, and more resistant to melting, tires are able to dissipate heat better and offer more grip, allowing much deeper and more siping or more aggressive grooving, or to reduce the need for it all (which won’t happen) So what if you could see a 10 to 15% weight reduction in the chassis, or more. You still have to run at weight, but now your weight placement is better. The entire car works better. Because of how easy it is to make graphene, the cost of graphene won’t stay high for very long, maybe another year, I would doubt it if it stayed high that long. Because of how cheap it is, and how little you need to improve the quality of current materials, I can without a doubt 100% certain say, graphene is going to define the age we live in. You’ll find it in everything. I’m sure you could even use it in brake pads and rotors to help heat dissipation and improve life and increase brake force.. I know it sounds like this crazy thing that’s gonna cost an arm and a leg, it’s not. Maybe at first.. but it won’t last long and it’ll be as common as salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Very cool stuff ! Could you add it to plastic, or some foam type polymer and inject into a tube to make the tube stronger? Would be useful in roll cages, driver area per say. Also stiffening portions of the chassis.Additive in tires would be interesting too, i doubt anyone at Hoosier would want to do anything to add life to a tire LOL...
    So to use it in a polymer you need to create a latex form of graphene oxide or graphene and mix it with the ingredients you’re using during the manufacturing process. If you wanted to make the roll cage stronger I would say your best bet would be to fill the tubes with the graphene oxide latex and polymer and pressurize it under heat and keep it there until the material was formed. But I think that would be a little aggressive, give it a little bit of time and soon they’ll have worked out the kinks in combining it with steel, and you’ll be able to buy your chassis with this better ferrous steel for what I would think would be marginally more than a regular chassis. It’s coming. It hasn’t taken a complete seat in the industries yet, but universities all over the world are working so hard to implement graphene into construction. The idea right now is to make the best highest quality graphene. But I think that once they take a step back and realize how much things like graphene oxide even will help, there won’t be such a big push for PURE graphene outside of the battery and conduction type applications. The biggest problem with combining it with steel is that how steel is made, pretty much destroys graphene sheets due to heat. So they’re trying ways to figure out how to recombine it under pressure and high heat.

Cool stuff, have been working in 3-D printed metals the last couple of years or so, its amazing the stuff that has been made. Could this stuff be sintered and and printed via a similar method? basically fusing dust to produce a part, layers at a time.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Cool stuff, have been working in 3-D printed metals the last couple of years or so, its amazing the stuff that has been made. Could this stuff be sintered and and printed via a similar method? basically fusing dust to produce a part, layers at a time.
    I believe there is way. I believe MIT has already successfully done this with graphene.

From what I read graphene 3D printing is gonna be HUUUUGE

ahhh the science of motor sports and the world! very interesting stuff!
    white trash motorsports

Jethrine was huge too.

@Mr.Kennedy777, haven't looked much into the graphene, at SEMA there was a "carbon fiber" 3d printer. Was pretty cool and not that expensive. It interwove a carbon fiber strand and onyx plastic. Stuff is very cool, but with the minimum weight rule, and the banning of exotic materials, I feel like there are a lot more low hanging fruit that we just haven't found yet

Quote Originally Posted by Burke1118 View Post
    @Mr.Kennedy777, haven't looked much into the graphene, at SEMA there was a "carbon fiber" 3d printer. Was pretty cool and not that expensive. It interwove a carbon fiber strand and onyx plastic. Stuff is very cool, but with the minimum weight rule, and the banning of exotic materials, I feel like there are a lot more low hanging fruit that we just haven't found yet
    Hydraulic spring perched are here, I know they are going to become more popular, we have second and third level suspensions, I think what you’ll find soon will be a softer overload style suspension meant to cushion the tire when loads spike and reach a certain threshold, by engaging another spring or bumps once a certain limit is reached, as was mentioned earlier, harmonics in the chassis, the structure of it, springs/shocks/wheels/motor etc, I think as more compliance is designed into the chassis by checking and making adjustments in the areas of camber stiffness, caster stiffness, toe stiffness, jacking forces and tire center of pressure migration and hysteresis in the chassis (including springs and shocks) the cars will experience another transformation, you will see some areas of the car and certain components bulk up while other areas will shed weight, I think smaller displacement higher RPM engines will become more normal due to their increased efficiency to make power in terms of weight, tire construction as has been brought up, different tire preparation techniques will come out too with much more attention to tire spring rates with the tire being considered a spring, there will definitely be some more advances there as well as it’s overall design.. I think a lot of weight will be shed in a lot of areas and that will make room for better weight placement within the car itself making it capable of starting to turn and stopping turning sooner than they already do. And to be honest I wouldn’t be surprised to see something with leafs pop up in the near future.

The bigger you bore the engine, the lighter it becomes I think with the rules in place it will be hard to realize some of the efficiencies you are talking about. And the second the rule makers catch wind of what people are trying to do, it will get outlawed in the name of “cost saving”. At which point the smart people will leave the sport and go elsewhere, allowing dirt racing to remain relatively stagnant. Lol