Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats next?

I don’t think we are talking like 1.6L v8 turbo F1 style engines... I think what I mean is, instead of 450 cubic inch engines with a ton of power, you’ll see 300-350 cubic inch pushing 9500-11000 become common place.

How much do you think a 350 cid engine , capable of sustaining 11,000 rpm,s would cost?? I would think it would be a lot more than that 450 cid cost now , but , maybe when all this space age materials and technological comes in to play , maybe so , problem for me is , i will probably be gone by then,,,

I think the piston is where some redesign could be handy, forged aluminum here i don't think is the best choice. Its heavy and basically a lot weaker than anything else in the crankcase.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    I think the piston is where some redesign could be handy, forged aluminum here i don't think is the best choice. Its heavy and basically a lot weaker than anything else in the crankcase.
    Price some beryllium pistons, while they been around for a while and banned in most sports, they are still really expensive as the material alone is about 10 times titanium

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Price some beryllium pistons, while they been around for a while and banned in most sports, they are still really expensive as the material alone is about 10 times titanium
    Scuff a few sets of those trying to figure out piston clearance

I was thinking CMC, Ceramic Matrix Composite, right now it would be outlandish but in the future i think it would be seasonable. Perfect application for CMC would be a piston, and about 1/3rd the weight or so.

I bet them beryllium pistons are cool looking thou LOL.

Just say no...