Default Fuel Filter Installation

Willys has one way Race 1 has another way which is right? Willys wants the opening to face the fuel cell (Inlet Side) and the spring on the outlet side against the Closed end of the filter. Race 1 wants the Spring to be on the Fuel Cell Side with the Closed end Facing the Fuel Cell and the open end of the fuel log Facing the Motor which is right?

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    Willys has one way Race 1 has another way which is right? Willys wants the opening to face the fuel cell (Inlet Side) and the spring on the outlet side against the Closed end of the filter. Race 1 wants the Spring to be on the Fuel Cell Side with the Closed end Facing the Fuel Cell and the open end of the fuel log Facing the Motor which is right?
    As long as the spring is on the closed side it don't matter besides whether the fuel flows outside to inside or inside to out. I prefer the spring on the cell side so you can see if the filter has stuff in it on the outside.

Ditto. I'm not sure why the other way has ever been suggested. The filter manufacturers instructions show the closed end and spring toward the cell, open end towards engine.

I suppose if the filter gets plugged, then having the spring towards the carb might allow the filter to move forward and bypass the filter and still get fuel flow but no filtering. Not sure if it can actually over come the spring pressure in a suction action like a mech pump but likely possible but if it's plugged do you really want all that to go into your carb?.

I'm pretty sure the spring idea comes from the older Q jets. The OEMS had the spring on the inlet that would bypass when the filter was plugged like billet said. The fuel would flow in the hole, to the outside and push the filter away from the housing when contaminated and the reason I think some instructions say too do that. I personally made a spacer on the lathe and threw out the spring years and years ago and check or change the filter on the regular. I also like the liquids to flow outside to inside so dirt is easily seen and cleaned off. Not something that was often done on the OEMS.

Thanks for the info, It's going to be changed every few races. I'm going to run it closed end and spring toward cell