Thread: Tire Rule

Default Tire Rule

Rule only states Hoosier 1300 or Harder so spec or open.....Which Tire would you run on each corner? I know which compounds but having trouble deciding which tire I should run where. 29.0, 29.0W. 28.5 or c1000....etc what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    Rule only states Hoosier 1300 or Harder so spec or open.....Which Tire would you run on each corner? I know which compounds but having trouble deciding which tire I should run where. 29.0, 29.0W. 28.5 or c1000....etc what would you do?
    I think it depends on what the track is like. I don’t think there’s ONE right answer.

1300,s all the way around and 1600 on rt rear for feature if track dries out , saw that combo win several races last year , but there is a bunch more combos within those parameters that has won races also.

I would run the larger tires all around when traction was limited. The open Hoosier dirt rub tire when ever I could, because it offers quite a bit of material to make a lot of edges, or when the track conditions favor, a lot of rubber in contact with the track. 29.0W on LR or RF or both. If the track was heavy and softish clay, smaller tire, spec OR the open comp tire with a lot of groove work done to it, even that angle block tire or chain link.If the rim width is allowed to be changed, wider rim to make the tire structure a little more rigid to help it dig into the surface better. (14” rim) If the track was dry with not much grip at all, open with narrow grooves, lots of sipes and a taller tire and/or more narrow rim. Possibly a 29.0W on LR and 29.0 RR. 28.5’s up front. All on 12” rims with exception of LR on 13” or 14”.If the track was dry but starting to offer a lot of grip and taking rubber, probably go with the open tire. 29.0W on RR 13” rim, with 28.5 on LR 14” rim, and LF on 14” rim, RF I would run a big 28.5” on a 12” rim or a small 29 with a slightly wider rim 13” with a lot of camber, a little more subtle with tire prep just enough to prevent any blistering or glazing if there’s extended cool down periods for whatever reason.

Here's what the good guys do, 28.5s on the 3 corners, RR wide or narrow driver preference.

Normally starts off sloopy. Stays Tacky Through Qualifying and Heats. By feature its blown off dusty and some nights it might start to get a little black stripe from middle off, Never rubbers up and only has black in one groove, dusty track.

Normally starts off sloopy. Stays Tacky Through Qualifying and Heats. By feature its blown off dusty and some nights it might start to get a little black stripe from middle off, Never rubbers up and only has black in one groove, dusty track.
    I guess it also depends on the setup, but for the most part when it’s loose marbly crap, you want good pound per inch on the tires, and you want to get the temperature up, the track doesn’t offer a lot in terms of grip, so you want good tire temp from operating temperature, not spinning, you need a lot of smaller edges from siping and more narrow grooves to assist in cleaning the surface to get the tire to bite, to build productive heat and to get heat out as well. Tire size will change your front end geometry when going from a smaller tire to a bigger tire, something to keep in mind. Taller tires will allow more wrap up in the sidewall compared to smaller tires because there’s more rubber there. Using a wider section width on the left rear with a wider rim compared to the other three corners will allow the wider rim to flatten out the left rear tire contact patch a bit more, offering the best forward bite, where the wider section width allows the tire to roll out more on the low traction surface with the wide rim. The front tires I like to try and keep them around the same size so i don’t change my front end too much, so run two 28.5’s. If you want to get more side bite when it’s loose I suggest narrowing the front rims and decreasing tire pressure slightly at the same time, but even just narrowing the RF rim will help because it bears most of the load and has the most camber. This will help create a softer more rounded shoulder in the tire that will help your camber work to engage the entire contact patch the way it’s supposed like when there is grip. This will increase side bite created at the front by making your camber angle more effective. (Camber works better when shoulders are rounded not squared off hard.) With the RR, a 29.0” tire with a 12” or 13” rim will create more side bite than on a 14” rim but it will also reduce forward bite from that tire a bit. You could also go to a 29.0W on a 13” or 14” RR.