Default Tall driver in a Midget

So, I'm 6'3''ish and I was wondering if a guy my size could fit comfortably in a midget type race car. I see a lot of pics of guys in victory lane and pretty much every one of them look like they're about the size of a 6th grader. I'd love to get into some open wheel racing but I don't know if I would fit in the dang car!?

Just looking for some input from people who would know.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by hardracer32 View Post
    So, I'm 6'3''ish and I was wondering if a guy my size could fit comfortably in a midget type race car. I see a lot of pics of guys in victory lane and pretty much every one of them look like they're about the size of a 6th grader. I'd love to get into some open wheel racing but I don't know if I would fit in the dang car!?

Just looking for some input from people who would know.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave Darland is well over 6', and he's a 2 time USAC National Midget Champion and has won countless midget races in both USAC and POWRi competition. There are other relatively tall drivers who have been successful in midgets but Darland is the first to come to mind.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Dave Darland is well over 6', and he's a 2 time USAC National Midget Champion and has won countless midget races in both USAC and POWRi competition. There are other relatively tall drivers who have been successful in midgets but Darland is the first to come to mind.
    CIRF good point. Shane Cottle is relatively tall as well.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    CIRF good point. Shane Cottle is relatively tall as well.
    Thanks for the jog of my feeble memory, HDF. I didn't even think of Shane but you're right, he's at least as tall as DD.

You could do it, no problem.

Back in the 50's USAC great Norm Nelson ran midgets and he was called "The Great Dane"... Must have been 6'4"...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Nelson
    Last edited by Krooser; 03-13-2018 at 03:19 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Yep, ol' Norm was a tall drink of water, for sure. Another rather scary fact is that back in the days when Norm began driving midgets they had no roll cages!! As tall as Norm was the center of gravity had to be raised a bit more than the average sized driver of those days.

I believe Dale Blaney has driven a midget a time or two, and he's 6' 7" or whatever.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I believe Dale Blaney has driven a midget a time or two, and he's 6' 7" or whatever.
    So, given the above examples we can deduce that super mans' less than mediocre showing at The Chili Bowl wasn't due to his size and maybe he's just not that good in anything but a late model/modified like another famous late model guy? Wasn't physical size brought to bear as the reason? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    So, given the above examples we can deduce that super mans' less than mediocre showing at The Chili Bowl wasn't due to his size and maybe he's just not that good in anything but a late model/modified like another famous late model guy? Wasn't physical size brought to bear as the reason? Hmmm.
    I don't think I made any excuses for him.

I will say that having a great chili bowl requires a lot of skill and a whole lot of luck though.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I don't think I made any excuses for him.

I will say that having a great chili bowl requires a lot of skill and a whole lot of luck though.
    If it wasn't excuses then what was it exactly?

So, according to your "luck" theory Kevin Swindell had "a whole lot of luck" on his side 4 years in a row. Okay, got it! I was in the stands for 2 of Kevin's 4 in a row and the reason he won those 2 had everything to do with being the fastest driver-racecar combination on the track every race he ran along with exceedingly thorough preparation. In addition, I doubt you could get anyone who actually witnessed all 4 to attribute that incredible feat to "a whole lot of luck". But if you think so.........

I was also in the stands the year super man made his game attempt and believe me, the reason he wasn't even moderately successful had nothing to do with luck or his physical stature. Same goes for bloomy.

I'll paraphrase what Kyle Larson said in an interview about luck in regards to having a highly successful Chili Bowl--large amounts of good luck is not required to win it, but you just can't have an over abundance of bad luck. I'll take his word over yours all day long.

Dale Blaney ain't no 6'7". Keep dreamin.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Dale Blaney ain't no 6'7". Keep dreamin.
    Zach, I wasn't sure but I didn't think Blaney was that tall, either.

It appears ol' Josh is no better at judging height than he is at recalling the excuses/smack he previously posts.