Default Birdcage question

Does anyone know if Smack birdcages differ from Gen-X? I'm putting together a 2012 Stuckey Gen-X
    and when all bar lengths are correct, the left cage seems to be slightly un-indexed (top bolt behind center of rearend) and the right side is slightly indexed.... appears that shock will bind when car rolls over..lower mt is already pointing down hill. Any help would be appreciated.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

The side to side measurements (like where the link mounts are in comparison to the shock mounts) are what would be different. What you're describing is a link length issue, I believe, or your ride heights are off (LR too low and RR too high). What you describe about your RR also seems odd...when the car rolls (RR compresses), the shock mount is going to start coming up as the top of the birdcage moves back. Unless your RR shock is mounted on the back side for some reason.

Both cars cages should be based off a 9" birdcage, or each link starting at 4.5" from the axle tubes centerline (at least in general).

There are a number of guys with Mastersbilt experience on here, so providing your chassis number might help pinpoint something. I know they made a few variations of the Gen-X, each taking different length links (at least I believe so). There are also lower link plates that bolt in for some of the Gen-X models. And the Gen-X certainly takes different length links than the Smackdown, so including your link lengths may help as well.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 04-08-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Chassis # x2126.S 18 1/4" top link 16" bottom link.... 4.5" link spacing.... ride heights 8.5 lr and 7 3/8 rr
    Thanks.
    Curt Drake
    Late model #55x

Disregard what I said about the shock... I was laying on my back and had it in my head that the cage rotated the other way.... too many nights in the shop.

Curt Drake
    Late model#55x

If you're looking at the rear of the car, how do the links look running forward? I have a 2014, and the RR links are relatively straight forward, but the LR "toe in" as they go forward to the chassis. The top of the LR birdcage (what I call the ear) should be 4 1/4" from the inside of the rotor, measured from it's inside where the LRU link mounts. And I guess I'd make sure those lower bolt-in plates are the correct ones, or on the correct sides (the RRL has two sets of holes to run a 2" shorter RRL link).

Other than that, I don't have much. If you are trying to use Smackdown cages then maybe they are that much different. But as long as the shock mounts are where they are supposed to be (left to right), then I would think you could get the links close, especially with spacers if they're the original single shear type cages. I have the PPM double shear cages on mine. I didn't find them to be an exact fit, but they work.

I hear you on the too many nights thing! I find myself with so much to do at times, I don't get anything done. Maybe if you get a break and go back to it with a fresh set of eyes it'll be obvious. Good luck!

side to side everything seems correct... the centers just seem wrong, and actually the rr shock mt is pointing up some, so in compression could possibly bind.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

I know Mastersbilt says to just set the links at those lengths and it'll be good, but I've yet to have that work for me. Mainly due to where I wanted the rearend statically, I know mine are not quite what they call for (in fact all four are different).

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm more than willing to share them as you might not want to copy what I'm doing anyway. I do know that my RR links are 16 1/8" bottom and 18" top. The LR are about 1/2"-5/8" longer than what they call for, but I'd have to get my sheet to see exactly what they are at.

And maybe Stuckey cars were different, but my ride height for the RR is 7 1/2". Only an 1/8" different than what you have, but that'd take some of the backwards angle of the birdcage out.

The very last thing I can say is, I'm a fan of the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words." I know pics are not always easy to post on here, but it helps alleviate the "imagining" aspect of things.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 04-09-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Ill have to get one of my kids to post pics...Im pretty computer illiterate...I was wondering
    about just adjusting links till birdcages were centered, but wasn't sure that would be the right
    thing to do. Im gonna try to call Stuckey, and Mastersbilt tomorrow, but haven't had much luck
    calling Masters before.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

And if you can get some info or help from them, pics wouldn't really be necessary. Just an idea.

So I called masters, and they say I need shortener plates on each side, is that what your Gen-x has?

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

Yes. I bought mine form Masters and they come with the aluminum bushings that go in between on the chassis side, as well as the misalignment bushings to use where the links mount to the chassis.

I'm fairly certain they shorten the lower links by 2" (but don't quote me on that), and the RR lower has a second set of holes for running an even shorter RRL (an additional 2" shorter).

Another "for what it's worth"

My links are:
    RRU - 18"
    RRL - 16 1/8"
    LRU - 18 7/8"
    LRL - 16 1/4"

That's at their ride heights and 9" birdcages. And I double checked, the shortener plates move the lower mounting points back 2".