Thread: Top Hose

Default Top Hose

AN 16 or 20 and why? Hose isn't an option for our rules. We do run a 3/4 Restrictor

For the radiator? Why do you run a restrictor?

20 and loose the restriction. Keeping the water moving fast helps insure that every surface is making contact and transferring heat. Keeps air from collecting in the high spots as well.
    Shocks by BGR army

Need help understanding this guys. For years I have been told too high of water velocity in the radiator and it wont pick up the heat properly. Thanks I just read Stewart Components tech tips on thermostats and restrictors. I understand now.
    Last edited by bullittwrench; 04-09-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by bullittwrench View Post
    Need help understanding this guys. For years I have been told too high of water velocity in the radiator and it wont pick up the heat properly. Thanks I just read Stewart Components tech tips on thermostats and restrictors. I understand now.
    I can tell you I have reduced engine temp by adding a thermostat on several occasions.

Certainly, too much restriction would cause a vacuum at the pump inlet and cause cavitation. Too low pressure inside the cooling jackets and boiling occurs at the interface. You also need the correct difference in radiator inlet temp vs radiator exit temp. If that difference is small, you are not ejecting heat from the system.

The thermostat may or may not help because the water moves slower. It may also have to do with adding turbulence to the water flow. Turbulent flow removes more heat than laminar flow.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 04-09-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

What is your opinion on the Stewart Hi Flo thermostat #301? Wasted money or not a bad idea?

Water pressure gauge help tell you what you need to do with your cooling system?

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    20 and loose the restriction. Keeping the water moving fast helps insure that every surface is making contact and transferring heat. Keeps air from collecting in the high spots as well.
    Here is what I don't get on that. Whats the ID on -16 and -20 hose. I wenr with AN 16 because the -20 is so hard to find locally. The ID is about .88 So running a .75 restriction isn't much different, So is it really doing anything besides keeping the same flow into the coolant system

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Water pressure gauge help tell you what you need to do with your cooling system?
    You mean my radiator cap isn't my pressure gauge? :-)