Thread: LM Rules

Default LM Rules

Shocks: 1st case: Work with a company to develop a price point. Say price point is $1430.00 for shocks, have a claim rule for cost of new shocks, plus 18%. If somebody wins on a pair of shocks they built for $1182.00, his shocks are claimed for $1430 built by (pro) or (fox) or (Penske) since that is the spec shocks price. You protest or claim their shocks for 1430 plus 18%. If the persons shocks that are being claimed does not agree. Then he goes home without a paycheck and the person claiming goes up a spot in the field. If the person being protested says hey, sounds great to me. Pay me my $1430.00 plus 18% and you can have them. He splits the %18 with the track (9-9) or (10-8), whatever the rule is and everybody’s happy. The guy that protested got a set of spec shocks for the price of new ones for $1430.00 made $248.00 plus 8 or 9%. The guy that gave up his shocks only had $1182.00 in his plus 9% for his time to remove and replace.

Shocks: 2nd case:

Guy comes with new trick shocks that he’s in for $12855.00 he’s protested and someone claims them. Now he’s got a problem, does he sell his shocks for $1430.00 plus 8 or 9% to win the race and be the hero, or does he just take loss and all prize money and go home. I think so!!!

Claim rules have worked as a cost inhibitor exactly 0% of the times they've been implemented.
    And shocks are NOT the problem with DLM racing. I can buy 8 sets Penske's and have enough shocks to last me 20 years with moderate upkeep expense. For that same money, I can buy a spread-bore big-cube 900HP motor and it could explode at any moment. Even if I take care of it and get lucky, it's going to cost me another 2-3 sets of Penske shocks to get it freshened after 1000 laps of racing.
    People keep pointing at the "exotic" small mammal in the corner that they don't understand while ignoring the 10,000 pound elephant standing right in the middle of the room. It just gets old.
    I guess people understand motors and what they provide so they are willing to spend any amount of money on the next bigger and better one. But when shocks (something apparently many people don't understand) get over a few hundred dollars, everyone loses their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Claim rules have worked as a cost inhibitor exactly 0% of the times they've been implemented.
    And shocks are NOT the problem with DLM racing. I can buy 8 sets Penske's and have enough shocks to last me 20 years with moderate upkeep expense. For that same money, I can buy a spread-bore big-cube 900HP motor and it could explode at any moment. Even if I take care of it and get lucky, it's going to cost me another 2-3 sets of Penske shocks to get it freshened after 1000 laps of racing.
    People keep pointing at the "exotic" small mammal in the corner that they don't understand while ignoring the 10,000 pound elephant standing right in the middle of the room. It just gets old.
    I guess people understand motors and what they provide so they are willing to spend any amount of money on the next bigger and better one. But when shocks (something apparently many people don't understand) get over a few hundred dollars, everyone loses their minds.
    Excellent post. 100% agree.
    8/13/16

Great response, preach on!

Nesmith tried this in the inception of the 525 series with a Bilstein shock package. It flopped. No one supported it.

I agree. But both are a problem..Shocks are outrageously priced but me and I think most who are complaining about them do understand, that they are the segueway to the high dollar motor...if the shocks didnt allow for every last horsepower to be put to the ground..the wide bore 900 hp would be fruitless and maybe even a disadvantage...

Im just saying lets scale back a little no more quadruple adjustable, remote control etc,go back to like an old afco aluminum body oil or gas in the body shock, and valve away, but the lobbyists, or I mean shock companies got too much sway and are making too much money and will spend all of it to keep that from happening...

Things will not go backwards, you are just wasting your time talking about it.