Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lift Sticks/5th & 6th coil combos

I have been looking at lift sticks along with having conversations with other racers about combos on 5th and 6th coils. I cannot find a lot of information on these lift sticks. Does anyone have some insight on them?

Quote Originally Posted by BNaylor91s View Post
    I have been looking at lift sticks along with having conversations with other racers about combos on 5th and 6th coils. I cannot find a lot of information on these lift sticks. Does anyone have some insight on them?
    It uses a series of urethane bushings to create a progressive spring rate. Allows you to tune rate and inflection point where the rate changes.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I did some testing on them before they came out. They are tunable, and yes very progressive. From the drivers seat I felt the car got in and through the center better. The reaction of geting off the gas seemed smoother and it felt from the driver seat it kept the rear tires stuck better. Drive off might have been a little better but the car felt better and smoother in, that was the most notable change. Due to the better entry I’m honestly not sure if my better drive off was from the stick or from higher center of corner speed. I don’t think thy are overly pricey compared to many other products and worth a try. Still run a 5th coil shock.

So, do we want a progressive rate or a digressive rate with a spring and dump valve or just a linear spring? Seems people can't make up their minds, LOL.

^ rhetorical question ^

Billet shakes his head, then scratches it, then shakes it again, then goes on with life......

Did I read correctly in an add for one, that they need servicing (replacement of bushings) around 250 laps?

Zero did you choose to keep using it or go back to a 5th/6th coil spring shock combo? Did you change the bushings to a different set for rate and if so was that based off of travel or feel?

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    So, do we want a progressive rate or a digressive rate with a spring and dump valve or just a linear spring? Seems people can't make up their minds, LOL.^ rhetorical question ^Billet shakes his head, then scratches it, then shakes it again, then goes on with life......
    Lol.... bloomer was dominating with an inerter 5th coil and now the trick rocket 5th coil shock has literally no valving? Apparently only extreme opposites work on the lift arm. Run a normal shock and a linear spring and you will be giving up 2 tenths..

I "heard" Bshepp has been running one of these Liftsticks...

I like the idea because of the rebound characteristics of the poly / rubber. You just reduce the reaction of all the active coils of the spring. I had some Lucas guys tell me that they run a 200lb spring stuffed full of spring rubbers, now what rate is that who knows, and i couldn't get anymore info on it.

Just say no...

I think the question is: Do you want to "absorb" the torque or "push back". Metal springs and rubber can do both but the rubber won't push back as hard. At least I think that makes sense.

I believe it may be more about removing the "harmonic vibrations" than anything else.

Now that's another good point, harmonics. Whole new bag of worms there.

I cant wait till i hit that Lotto, i am gonna test this stuff all day long, 7 days a week LOL. Some many things to tinker with on these cars.

Just say no...

I think the whole idea is something else to sell, that invariably ends up on the shelf when you go back to the std shock/spring arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by MLR19 View Post
    I think the whole idea is something else to sell, that invariably ends up on the shelf when you go back to the std shock/spring arrangement.
    I think we have a winner.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The trick is to try it and then sell it before everyone else realizes it does't work.

Gimmicks are worth a boatload of $$$$. They are everywhere!
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I only got to run it a few times,our season ended early. I ran it twice, same rate just the standard off the shelf they sent. Then went back to a traditional set up. Part of the thought process is like on the pull bars they need to be progressive, these should be also. If they should or not is a debate. With our limited run time I’m not swearing it’s the best thing ever, it did seem the car was smoother on entry and did not break the rear tires loose if you entered a little hard. That probably was due to the 6th coil effectively being back further than it was prior, and the bump stops being used not a linear spring.

Matt49 is also correct in that the bushing pull bars don’t bounce back as hard as the spring ones so the same theory was moved onto the 5th coil.

I am getting ready to debut a new car this upcoming week if everything goes as planned on the list of items to test again is the lift stick. Run traditional then it again. I will tune the feel based upon driver feel to a point but also the load curve from the spring machine. We will compare the curve to travel seen/what the driver likes or dislikes and attempt to form a good correlation.

Also I don’t remember the expected life on them off the top of my head but bushing pull bars typically have short lives.

I think what the car wants on one way of travel doesn’t always agree with what the car wants with the other way. It’s like a lot of other areas where you gain one way and lose the other so most guys find the best middle ground OR try to eliminate the middle ground. Building a cylinder that could load like a spring and unload like rubber would be pretty good. Perhaps a cylinder?

I have a shock for sale for XXXX$$$$$ that will do whatever you want. *vibration? What's that? Harmonics? What's that? *sarcasm off*
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

is this the neuline deal?

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder69 View Post
    is this the neuline deal?
    I think it's something else. That nueline deal is hilarious. "MORE TRACTION AND SIDEBITE!" "...how?" "Crickets"