Thread: Bare chassis

Default Bare chassis

I'm not exactly in the market "right now" but could be in the future so I'm not even going to waste their time with a phone call until I'm a serious buyer. So does anybody know if Longhorn or Black Diamond will sell a new chassis bare and power coated?

Black Diamond will sell it however you want I'm sure.

they will if you have gotten one complete, and the biggest reason is they want it to all be lined up correctly, they all want there cars to come out of the box fast, its a good selling point, and i understand that, I've sold cars before and told people what to put on it, then of coarse they go their own way and get upset when it won't run good, go figure

long horn will only sell it with front suspension , which is uppers , lowers and spindles , they quoted me a price of 10,000 two years ago , may be different now though ,

Dixie Metal Works on Facebook sells copies ! $5600 all moly.

Just say no...

Thanks for the responses guys. I can certainly understand builders don't want somebody bolting junk or the complete wrong size stuff on one of their frames. That being said, it is an epic waste of money for someone like me (Motorstate dealer as a sponsor and the ability to put a car together on my own) to pay retail for parts and then labor for somebody else to do assembly work. I think most of us on here can appreciate that.
    I would certainly get a few things besides the bare frame from the builder. Lower, spindles, mid-plate, spares, and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I can certainly understand builders don't want somebody bolting junk or the complete wrong size stuff on one of their frames. That being said, it is an epic waste of money for someone like me (Motorstate dealer as a sponsor and the ability to put a car together on my own) to pay retail for parts and then labor for somebody else to do assembly work. I think most of us on here can appreciate that.
    I would certainly get a few things besides the bare frame from the builder. Lower, spindles, mid-plate, spares, and things like that.
    I understand what you are saying and agree with most of it. However, the problem I ran into buying just the chassis and putting to together myself is was getting all the measurements from the builder. They were very reluctant to give me all the measurements and information I needed to put it together correctly.

For that reason I'll only buy a roller in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    I understand what you are saying and agree with most of it. However, the problem I ran into buying just the chassis and putting to together myself is was getting all the measurements from the builder. They were very reluctant to give me all the measurements and information I needed to put it together correctly.

For that reason I'll only buy a roller in the future.
    That's lousy customer service. Even more reason that I would NOT buy a roller from them. Any car builder worth doing business with should be providing these measurements at no cost.

That's lousy customer service. Even more reason that I would NOT buy a roller from them. Any car builder worth doing business with should be providing these measurements at no cost.
    I agree and I won't be buying another car from them in the future (but I doubt they are selling them much longer anyways).

if they were reluctant to give me the info on a bare chassis , then i dam sure wouldn't trust them with assembling me a roller , but thats just me.......

I'm not exactly in the market "right now" but could be in the future so I'm not even going to waste their time with a phone call until I'm a serious buyer. So does anybody know if Longhorn or Black Diamond will sell a new chassis bare and power coated?
    Typically, if you get a frame without a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit (especially if you're a new customer to them) and no other basic parts, then they tend to think it's someone wanting to buy one to jig. A huge red flag for them is to ask for one not powder-coated, lol.

Chassis builders know which ones of their customers are capable of correctly assembling a car. I'm sure its really frustrating to them when a guy they know isn't capable buys a frame only and wears them out with question after question. The builder wants you to get it right because it equals success for you and them. I've heard of guys that buy a bare frame and then wear a the builder out asking them for all the body measurements, braces, etc. To me that's not right. If you think you are capable of putting on your own body to save money you shouldn't be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Typically, if you get a frame without a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit (especially if you're a new customer to them) and no other basic parts, then they tend to think it's someone wanting to buy one to jig. A huge red flag for them is to ask for one not powder-coated, lol.
    your right about the powder coat theory , but ive took several cpits out in my day , and a small hand held blaster takes care of the powder coat....

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    Chassis builders know which ones of their customers are capable of correctly assembling a car. I'm sure its really frustrating to them when a guy they know isn't capable buys a frame only and wears them out with question after question. The builder wants you to get it right because it equals success for you and them. I've heard of guys that buy a bare frame and then wear a the builder out asking them for all the body measurements, braces, etc. To me that's not right. If you think you are capable of putting on your own body to save money you shouldn't be doing that.
    I assure you I didn't wear them out trying to get info and I didn't ask for things like body measurements. I asked basic info such as lower control arm length, correct ball joint #'s, rear shock angles, pinion angle, birdcage placement, load #'s. I am perfectly capable of putting a car together correctly as long as I have the info needed.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    I assure you I didn't wear them out trying to get info and I didn't ask for things like body measurements. I asked basic info such as lower control arm length, correct ball joint #'s, rear shock angles, pinion angle, birdcage placement, load #'s. I am perfectly capable of putting a car together correctly as long as I have the info needed.
    I understand. I am by no means sticking up for them in this situation that you described. In this case the chassis builder should have had that basic info in a manual.

Jesse Sobbing has two black diamonds for sale full rollers and a bare new chassis also

Jesse sobbing racing on facebook