Thread: Air filter

Default Air filter

With R2C not in business anymore what are guys running for filters? I'm not a fan of the oil soaked filters.

R2C apparently isn't out of business. Just got a shipment of filters in from them today....after waiting 3 months or so...

Summit's house brand air filters are comparable to them and K & Ns at a fraction of the price. You can oil them if you like but we don't...just use Outerwears' pre filters. Most of our NorCal tracks aren't usually terribly dusty but some of the northern Nevada tracks we run are and they have held up well so far.

for the first few races this year ive used the wix 42096R throw away and replace it every week, i may swap to K&N as these tracks dry out

Default air filter... just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    for the first few races this year ive used the wix 42096R throw away and replace it every week, i may swap to K&N as these tracks dry out
    I would not advise the switch to k&n in the dusty conditions...
    unless you do not like your motor.
    you know how the oiled cotton filters, claim to make more power?
    by filtering less.

Napa gold 2096 is what I have used for years. carb throat is as clean as a pin in the dustiest conditions.
    on dyno there is no power difference in that part number and an oiled up clean K&N, but in the dust what happens to the K&N??? it plugs up and kills power.
    I change filter when I change oil. I will lightly blow it out from the inside if track was really dusty.
    also use an outerwears prefilter
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I guess I'm still following this thread waiting for somebody to clear up this "out of business" rumor. I can't find anything online to corroborate that.

I just got a brand new R2C from Magnolia race parts. Either they have a bunch in stock or they can get them...
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    I would not advise the switch to k&n in the dusty conditions...
    unless you do not like your motor.
    you know how the oiled cotton filters, claim to make more power?
    by filtering less.

Napa gold 2096 is what I have used for years. carb throat is as clean as a pin in the dustiest conditions.
    on dyno there is no power difference in that part number and an oiled up clean K&N, but in the dust what happens to the K&N??? it plugs up and kills power.
    I change filter when I change oil. I will lightly blow it out from the inside if track was really dusty.
    also use an outerwears prefilter
    I couldn't agree more^^. The older or more used the K&N gets the more open each of the strands of the cotton get on the filter media, thus a bigger hole for the oil to have to catch dirt. The more this happens the worse they get as far as letting dirt in the engine. They don't last for ever, more like a certain number of cleanings and if you blow them with air to dry them you are opening the media even faster and wearing them out quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    I guess I'm still following this thread waiting for somebody to clear up this "out of business" rumor. I can't find anything online to corroborate that.
    I'm in the mid Atlantic area and know of several speed shops that can't get them, can't get a hold of them nothing. Motorstate (who has everything) hasn't had any since last summer. A bunch of teams including the big blue 1 team switched to something else. I see a lot of circumstantial evidence that doesn't give you confidence in them.

I use Randy's Air Filters, very similar to the R2C

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    I use Randy's Air Filters, very similar to the R2C
    Randy who?

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    Randy who?

See link in post 12.

My engine builder put me on to them.

I have always ran the wix air filter. I get about 5 nights out of them. Never had any dirt in my carb. This is the same filter as a napa gold series. Can find them for around $15