Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rf wheel spacer

Whoa. We also all start from the same place - zero knowledge. The state of the art is continuously growing and expanding. A growing knowledge gap every year that new racers will need to overcome. That is the same knowledge race we have been battling on the track for decades....knowledge to make the car better.

Just for perspective; I repeated terminology found in $10-50 books and standardized in industry for nearly 75yrs or longer.

For proper "old school" testing: It is easy to constrain the chassis, build a special wheel that has a lift point at the wheel center (2in from hub face for a 5in backspace wheel, near spindle snout end), measure with tapes, jacks and load cell (wheel scales). Or build a pull down rig for $500. I live 30hrs from my shop today, so I needed virtual models to answer questions for my extremely limited time in my shop (7 shop days this year before I go to a national event as my first race).

The track change of this wheel spacer is harder to explain, and doesn't matter as much as the driver actually knowing the feel of a wheel spacer change. In conclusion, I would be less likely to make this adjustment has it has a significant change of CG position relative to RF tire contact patch.

FYI - Ride Rate is the spring rate of the suspension measured from the tire contact patch. Basically the Wheel Rate plus geometrical effect of the wheel transformation from wheel center to contact patch with compliance (spring rate) of the tire. This is what you are measuring on a Pull Down rig and you are extrapolating to get much else off of a quasi-static rig.

Your chassis builder should provide you with the necessary information to compete. Partner with a group that helps you. That is their job. If they don't, another builder will.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i have to admit , i do have one of the early programs , done by performance trends , that i use from time to time to see the effects of changing things on the front end , but you still have to use old school methods to get the initial info to put in , I also have some tie downs in one bay of my shop , that was originally used for body repair , to use as a crude way of pulling the car down , but i have mentioned on here before , we learned more by taking the chassis with all the suspension in place and solid rods in place of shocks and set in the dynamic state , best i could , and pulled it through the turns with a 4 wheeler , you would be amazed at what you can see and find.......