Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    I've seen those before. The LM class comes out, runs a fee warm up laps. Takes the green flag then 2 or 3 laps later they throw the checkered flag out and they call it a night.
    Usually if that is the case it is the 4 cylinders that is happening too as they are typically run last (not always though)

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    I understand where you are coming from but it is my opinion that the headline class should be run last. Headline bands don't play before supporting bands, Headline fights (boxing, etc.) don't fight before the supporting fights, so why should racing be any different. If time is the issue and the night is running late then it is most likely an issue with to many support classes. As a late model driver it disappoints me when a track decides to not run us last (unless it is a special for a different class).
    Racing isn't bands or fights or anything else. It should be different because it is. Majority of fans want headline class run first so they can decide if they stay or go.
    After driving 2-3 hours or maybe more and sitting through 2 hours plus of prelims, folks are ready to see the main attraction before the support features. And it also sure makes it nicer leaving with part of the crowd is split on leaving after the big main or staying for some more support mains. Just overall better experience and more likely to come back the better the experience.

The Kentucky Derby is also not the last race of the day (I learned that this year), so we should stick with the horses and not make everyone stay till last.
    "The Wise One"

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    "How many times have you sat at a random track and observed a car stalled in turn one that needs the hook? After a few minutes the wrecker driver finally returns to the real world and jumps in his truck, only to find that it won’t crank. Another ten minutes is spent boosting the wrecker, and then after a meet-and-greet with the racer, he finally tows the car back to the pits. A mere 15 minutes after the car simply stopped on the track, action can finally resume."

I've been to alot of tracks and have never seen that before. Little bit of exaggerating if your asking me.
    I have seen this... Ben puts it in an exaggerated way.. but I've seen this.

The whole article reminds me of every Southern track I've ever been to. Draw a line from Florence Speedway and anything south of that is probably going to be poorly time manages, qualify everything they have, and have 6-7 classes.

For some reason that's just how it is for a very large portion of the southern US. Doesn't mean there are a few good one's down south, or some bad ones up north... but I know what seems common in the hemispheres.
    "The Wise One"

Sadly my "exaggerated way" of putting that is the completely truthful way that it happened at a track I was at, back in April.

I don't know that I couldn've made it up - nor would I have probably believed it - if I wasn't there to see it first hand. lol

Was both insanely comical and infuriating all at the same time.

- Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Shelton View Post
    Sadly my "exaggerated way" of putting that is the completely truthful way that it happened at a track I was at, back in April.

I don't know that I couldn've made it up - nor would I have probably believed it - if I wasn't there to see it first hand. lol

- Ben
    And there is the rest of the story.
    "The Wise One"

I understand where you are coming from but it is my opinion that the headline class should be run last. Headline bands don't play before supporting bands, Headline fights (boxing, etc.) don't fight before the supporting fights, so why should racing be any different. If time is the issue and the night is running late then it is most likely an issue with to many support classes. As a late model driver it disappoints me when a track decides to not run us last (unless it is a special for a different class).
    No it should not. Now, should you rotate it some, sure, but the headline class should not be last. At a concert, we all know the order. And they don’t screw around like some of these tracks do.

When you try and take children to a race, and it gets past about 10-11, they are done, between being tired, and just plain old done. And I’m no different. Get the show moving and don’t screw around.

When I was 20 with not much of a care in the World, whatever, now, no. I got stuff to do tomorrow, besides not get home till 2.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    When I was 20 with not much of a care in the World, whatever, now, no. I got stuff to do tomorrow, besides not get home till 2.
    Oh to be 20 again....
    "The Wise One"

I could agree with that somewhat if, the following was true:

1. They had the first 3 rounds of the HW championship boxing match then did all the under-card and then went back to do the last 7 rounds after.

2. If the band played their biggest hit first with one other song and then let all the support bands play for 2 hours, then finished the set with their other 4 hits and the rest of their songs

There's a reason most boxing, MMA or concerts are usually less then half full at start time because people can skip the first couple hours and not miss a single part of the main event unlike racing with Q/F'ing, heats and then feature.

I do still kind of prefer main class to run last, but not at the expense of having a 5 or 6 hour show, so I know where he's coming from

Quote Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
    Oh to be 20 again....
    Personally, 17-18. No bills, adult freedoms for the most part, no responsibilities. Man, be nice. But yeah, 20 too.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Shelton View Post

- Ben
    you must have been at TST , lol , thats really the only complaint i here at our track , the pitiful wreckers , some times they do provide some entertainment though . as for running the LM feature first , i like the way they run them usually 2nd , which gives the late models a little more time to prepare , I have never been to a race down here in the ole south where they ran supers last , must be a northern thing.......

That's why I love following Lucas Oil shows,they don't mess around. I drove 3hrs to go to 141 Lucas race and was back home at 1230 pm. And I watched the support races. Thank you Lucas officials.

You guys are correct on the south-I am going to a show Sunday that has 8 classes running.... Put on a show and get it over with, 3 hours should be the goal, any longer and the kids (as well as adults) lose interest. My wife would not even bring my kids to watch at certain tracks, she knew they would be sleeping before our feature would run.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    you must have been at TST , lol , thats really the only complaint i here at our track , the pitiful wreckers , some times they do provide some entertainment though . as for running the LM feature first , i like the way they run them usually 2nd , which gives the late models a little more time to prepare , I have never been to a race down here in the ole south where they ran supers last , must be a northern thing.......
    Think it was mentioned Rice Lake did it. Wisconsin.

I think the problem with putting the "headliner" on the track by XX:XX time is not everyone has the same "headliner" in mind. I know this was posted in the Late Models, but a casual fan may not think of the Late Models as the headliners...maybe its the local high school kid running his compact or the local contractor wheeling a hobby car.The two biggest things I've noticed at my local tracks that seem to do a nice job running an efficient event: 1). One and done for causing a yellow flag in the heat race. 2). No parade laps for heat races.

Quote Originally Posted by bananahammack00 View Post
    I think the problem with putting the "headliner" on the track by XX:XX time is not everyone has the same "headliner" in mind. I know this was posted in the Late Models, but a casual fan may not think of the Late Models as the headliners...maybe its the local high school kid running his compact or the local contractor wheeling a hobby car.The two biggest things I've noticed at my local tracks that seem to do a nice job running an efficient event: 1). One and done for causing a yellow flag in the heat race. 2). No parade laps for heat races.
    Yessssss on the no parade laps.

Me and my dad were stuck working out of town one weekend and ended up at the Fla State Fairgrounds. They ran 7 classes of cars and were done at 10. The cars entered out of turn 2 and fired coming out of 4!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

The stages and fighting rings don’t wear out. The track does. Touring series / headline event of the night, that A-Main should always be the first A-Main.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Duck River and Thunderhill was the first 2 tracks that popped in my mind when I read that

Maybe each track that is slow should receive a copy of the article in their mailboxes. After a few mailings hit the box they might pay attention.

Ben speaks the truth. I would love to get my 8 year old really interested, but he's slept through more features than he's watched and that's a big reason why he's just not that into it. You can't expect young kids to stay awake 2-3-4 hours past their bedtimes, and they're not going to remain interested if they're sawing logs before the main event every time. This ain't rocket science, promoters -- if you want families there, get the big show in before the kids fall asleep. Let the 4 cyl's chase each other around until 1 AM if you want, but let's put an end to qualifying everything but the water truck and all of the other messing around. Get your heats on the track by 7 PM and move that show along. Some of our local tracks are really bad about this.

Quote Originally Posted by bananahammack00 View Post
    Basically...the biggest winner's paycheck of the night is the headliner.. That's just a good rule of thumb.