Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I would like to mention a couple of promoters off the top of my head (Bob Sargeant and Mike Van Gendren) that are well aware of this and are noted for fast, efficient programs.

A lot of promoters could learn a lot by going to one of their shows and taking notes.

With so many classes, why would any track need an intermission longer than 10 minutes for officials to take a restroom break!?!

"How many times have you sat at a random track and observed a car stalled in turn one that needs the hook? After a few minutes the wrecker driver finally returns to the real world and jumps in his truck, only to find that it won’t crank. Another ten minutes is spent boosting the wrecker, and then after a meet-and-greet with the racer, he finally tows the car back to the pits. A mere 15 minutes after the car simply stopped on the track, action can finally resume."

I've been to alot of tracks and have never seen that before. Little bit of exaggerating if your asking me.

I agree with Ben and I'm a 40-50 race a year guy, so you can imagine the casual fan goes 1-2 times a year and the race is drug out through the night.

This makes me think about the free night in dirt Florence had a couple weeks ago. I would love to know how many of those people return to the track again this year. The place was slammed with families, kids, etc.
    T3G - Never Forget, Hardly Remember
    Eastbay (5)

I have been saying this on this 4m ever since i started posting again a couple years ago. The problem is ignorant people put up with poor race management because its their local track. I try to only go to tracks i trust, supporting poorly run tracks makes you a part of the problem.

Sounds like most michigan dirt tracks. Exactly why I dont attend them anymore. Eldora is the best at getting race restarted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdirtfan View Post
    I have been saying this on this 4m ever since i started posting again a couple years ago. The problem is ignorant people put up with poor race management because its their local track. I try to only go to tracks i trust, supporting poorly run tracks makes you a part of the problem.
    Agreed. Most of those poorly run tracks are the same ones that have promoters who complain that social media is killing their track. No. A bad promoter who, among other things, can’t run an efficient program is killing their track.

I wish I knew these tracks Ben was talking bout never attending again. Lol
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

I wish Ben would get behind a new rule: The featured class must be on the track by 9:30 or 10:00. The feature doesn't have to be the last race of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    I wish Ben would get behind a new rule: The featured class must be on the track by 9:30 or 10:00. The feature doesn't have to be the last race of the night.
    I promote some events in the South. Any event that I work with has a standing rule that the headline class for that night will run their feature no later than second or at the most third.

If fans - who traveled in from out of town - would like to stay and see the balance of the show after the headline event, then that's great. If they want to get a jump on hitting the road home, I fully understand.

Fans should not be held hostage to see the main attraction. I learned a long time ago - from people who are much smarter than me - that the decision to stay until the final checkered flag of the night drops, should be left solely at the fan's discretion.

- Ben

Many promoters, race teams, and hard core fans love racing like no other thing in their life. And if promoters want to only appeal to that group then keep it up with the six hour programs. The article is absolutely 100% on target.

I wish someone told Rice Lake Speedway in WI about this. 6 classes a few weeks ago and they run the late model feature last, was over after midnight. Families with kids were long gone and many others were too. Did i mention temp was in the 40s?

Puzzles me why people cant figure out Intermissions... Hot dog 100... You figure it out.

The whole show should be aimed to wrap up in about 3 hours max.

Some tracks like to run alot of classes to capitalize on the Pit Gate $$. Essentially the lower classes are paying the purses !!

Just say no...

I agree I have been saying the same thing for years I have been going to dirt races for 50 years it has got so bad I really don't care anymore if I even go I tell you something else nobody talks about that hurts racing a lot of these tracks are bought for a tax write off they don't want them to make money.

Most of the tracks in my area have a curfew. It varies from track to track but usually between 10:30-11. It usually keeps them from wasting too much time but there are exceptions. Overall though I would say that I am pretty fortunate with the tracks in my area being run pretty well for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    When BDS ran Tyler County they had a policy where the LM feature was always on the track by 9:30. I used to go there a lot more often back then than I do now. Every track should run the featured class first, especially for weekday shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Shelton View Post
    I promote some events in the South. Any event that I work with has a standing rule that the headline class for that night will run their feature no later than second or at the most third.

If fans - who traveled in from out of town - would like to stay and see the balance of the show after the headline event, then that's great. If they want to get a jump on hitting the road home, I fully understand.

Fans should not be held hostage to see the main attraction. I learned a long time ago - from people who are much smarter than me - that the decision to stay until the final checkered flag of the night drops, should be left solely at the fan's discretion.

- Ben
    I understand where you are coming from but it is my opinion that the headline class should be run last. Headline bands don't play before supporting bands, Headline fights (boxing, etc.) don't fight before the supporting fights, so why should racing be any different. If time is the issue and the night is running late then it is most likely an issue with to many support classes. As a late model driver it disappoints me when a track decides to not run us last (unless it is a special for a different class).

My biggest problem is all the support classes, it sucks to see 6 or 7 classes running with maybe 10 cars in each class if your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by i like racing View Post
    Most of the tracks in my area have a curfew. It varies from track to track but usually between 10:30-11. It usually keeps them from wasting too much time but there are exceptions. Overall though I would say that I am pretty fortunate with the tracks in my area being run pretty well for the most part
    I've seen those before. The LM class comes out, runs a fee warm up laps. Takes the green flag then 2 or 3 laps later they throw the checkered flag out and they call it a night.