Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a rhetorical question:

So if I make a insert that goes into the tire like a tube and it's not glued to the tire and can be removed and reused, is that legal....................

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post

So if I make a insert that goes into the tire like a tube and it's not glued to the tire and can be removed and reused, is that legal....................

Hmmm
    Hmmmm.......

I’m calling BS. Just another rumor on the mill. Reduces flex in the sidewall to reduce heat is what throws me off. I understand the concept but it’s not like these guys run low enough air pressure in the RR to get over on the sidewall anyway. It would throw the balance of the tire off also and if you had a tire come apart there would be no hiding the evidence. Possible but doubtful

No idea who wrote that or where they got that info about the heat, but part of the idea is to change the side wall flex and therefore the forward drive of the tire.

Back in the day, some LR tires had wedges in the side wall at the bead extending but tapering down into the side wall to stiffen the side wall for more forward from a LR tire.

Changing the tire carcass in anyway will/can effect the tires performance good or bad but it will have an effect, why do you think you can get Hoosier tires in different carcass's right now....

"not like these guys run low enough air pressure in the RR to get over on the sidewall anyway"

Guess you are new, because even at the STD air pressure the RR can roll so far over you can remove all the white paint off the hoosier lettering or that the beadlock is less then an inch from touching the ground at the right high speed/banked/tacky tracks easily, so much so you have to add pressure over the STD.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 06-05-2018 at 03:47 AM.

Its no different that Cup cars wanting to run as low of air pressure as possible. I doubt this device was used on anything but the LR tire to increase traction.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post

Hmmm
    My guess is that it would be legal until you won some races, then it wouldn't be legal anymore.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

If you ever drove a SLM you know that used tires lose feel. The tires are big and feel like marshmallows, and when there used, some say more than 3 runs, the side walls get weakened and then lose feel in the car. Along with sharper edges that obviously add more feel.

I could see tire inserts being a big deal, even inner liners for dual air pressures.

Just say no...

The first test of the Kevlar inserts was done at Deer Creek. So the "story" of Kevin Rumley noticing something on Bloomquist's wheel at the Show Me and that is when the testing began is absolutely false.

LR tire is what they are checking.

The above posts about the tire would be LR, stiffening the sidewall, inserts allow lower tire pressures to be run and lower heat in tire are spot-on and shows the knowledge and understanding of those posts.

If your interested in what is going on... discuss with Rick Schwallie, Steve Francis or one of the crew members of the Lucas teams... they all know what is going on, what the insert is for and why the advantage.

Rich Olson
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by FANSFund View Post
    The first test of the Kevlar inserts was done at Deer Creek. So the "story" of Kevin Rumley noticing something on Bloomquist's wheel at the Show Me and that is when the testing began is absolutely false.

LR tire is what they are checking.

The above posts about the tire would be LR, stiffening the sidewall, inserts allow lower tire pressures to be run and lower heat in tire are spot-on and shows the knowledge and understanding of those posts.

If your interested in what is going on... discuss with Rick Schwallie, Steve Francis or one of the crew members of the Lucas teams... they all know what is going on, what the insert is for and why the advantage.

Rich Olson
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's not just absolutely false. It's absolutely impossible

What's impossible?

To "notice" something on the inside of a tire...

While true, from the outside, you would probably notice that the tire had really low pressure. One side wall may be more wrinkled up, low pressure, than the other. There could a different rim being used. A lot of possibilities.

One thing i noticed over the year about guys that are great at their craft is no detail is to small, down to wind drag on hood clips... seriously. So could he (Rumley) noticed that a tire looked odd? sure.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by FANSFund View Post
    The first test of the Kevlar inserts was done at Deer Creek. So the "story" of Kevin Rumley noticing something on Bloomquist's wheel at the Show Me and that is when the testing began is absolutely false.LR tire is what they are checking.The above posts about the tire would be LR, stiffening the sidewall, inserts allow lower tire pressures to be run and lower heat in tire are spot-on and shows the knowledge and understanding of those posts.If your interested in what is going on... discuss with Rick Schwallie, Steve Francis or one of the crew members of the Lucas teams... they all know what is going on, what the insert is for and why the advantage.Rich OlsonMinneapolis, MN
    The testing didn't start at the Show Me. Obviously you're not risking $30,000 by trying something new. The report was a Lucas driver was using the tire inserts on the left front and left rear. It was 100% false as Lucas looked over the cars before the feature and after.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    To "notice" something on the inside of a tire...
    Not when the tire rolls under the car with every camera focused in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetzer0 View Post
    Not when the tire rolls under the car with every camera focused in on it.
    That's how your able to see inside the tire when it's mounted on a rim?

billittbirdcage, I haven’t seen Hoosier rubbed off the RR in years and especially the bead being 1” from the track surface. Maybe on a rough surface but then again I haven’t been to a big track since Syracuse in the late 1990s. Speeds were so fast up there we had to run 1” washers and bolts on the roof because the rivits were tearing through the metal of the roof. It locked down on the bottom and was a terrible race to run 16th. We ran Hoosier 70s that day and a bunch of air and still had 3 flats. Figured out later we didn’t have enough air and was on the sidewall. Maybe we needed some Kevlar lol

Tmac doesn't run them

Default Centeroff

May b you should have gotten some advice from brett hearn or gary ballough on your syracuse issue!
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Syracuse was an animal that no other track can really relate to.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Josh you said that right