Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Yes it is, giving them a choice has allowed the low budget LM's to leave the class altogether.

Most crate races I've watched show the cars under powered with an exception of one or two for some reason. Go figure.
    Most of those low budget teams were leaving anyway because of the cost but, it's just my opinion

All the weekly SLM here turned into limited IMCA late models eight years ago. Weekly SLM doesn’t exist here and never will again. Fans don’t want to pay the ticket prices that would be required to pay the purse.

My biggest pet peeve with crate late models are the guys who "cant afford" an open motor but show up in a $250,000 hauler with 2 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Creating the crate class is resulting in LM's dying. Many promoters are hoping to replace LM's with crates to reduce purses.
    High engine and shock costs have led to low car counts in the open late model class , not the creation of the crate late model class.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Crates are not the reason SLM are dwindling. Those who are in crates are in them because, they no longer could afford to run a SLM or they didn't have the money it takes to run a SLM and this was a alternative to stay in a late model. Now crates are getting out of hand (cost wise) that class will start to dwindle.
    You hit the nail squarely on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Most of those low budget teams were leaving anyway because of the cost but, it's just my opinion
    And you are correct.

What the hell's the difference? If you can afford to run a super late model, then run it. If you can afford to run a crate late model, then run it. Racing is expensive. Hell street stocks are expensive to run. Let's face it, the average Joe down the street making 15 dollars an hour, and trying to raise a family just can't do it. My self can't in know way afford to race a super late model so we are going to run a crate late model. But I sure as hell am not going to be crying because I can't afford to run a super. Car counts are hurting in most places I see. That includes street stocks and all the way up. I wish we all made 100 dollars an hour so we all could be racing what we really want to, but that's not how life is. Ok every one pile on and start beating on me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmanracr21 View Post
    My biggest pet peeve with crate late models are the guys who "cant afford" an open motor but show up in a $250,000 hauler with 2 cars.
    They usually have 30 year loans on those haulers.

The notion that the money being saved on the difference between a competitive open motor and a competitive crate motor is simply being spent on "trick" components for crates is COMPLETELY false. We have a very competitive field of crates in southern Indiana and the guys that win regularly do NOT have trick lightweight stuff on their cars. Are there cars out there with all of the lightweight components? Absolutely. But it is FAR from necessary to be competitive or win. I will also add that the ones that appear to have more power are usually the better handling cars that are able to carry more momentum though the corners. If you can keep the motor up in the power band you WILL have more power. You don't have to cheat the motor to do that.
    Widespread motor cheating and exotic components in crates are myths created by fans that simply don't like them and want something to blame on the demise of super late models besides the obvious $50,000 elephant in the room. Spread bore motors were the nail in the coffin for weekly SLM racing. Simply buried alive at this point propped up by independent wealth in most cases.
    Last edited by Matt49; 06-19-2018 at 08:01 AM.

If you think about it, crate motors AT THIS POINT IN TIME, may be keeping dirt racing alive. They are keeping the gates open weekly at dirt tracks across the country....without late models (where I live) fans would not attend. Since owners can't afford to run supers every week if it weren't for crate guys the gates would close, therefore no place to run the Lucas and WOO events. You might need to be thankful these guys are paying the bills so the big guys can come twice a year instead of bashing them.

Most of those "lightweight" parts are just snake oil. You can spend the money on them if you want, but most of them won't win you a race.

Why is this a topic of discussion every other month?

Quote Originally Posted by ThebigE View Post
    Why is this a topic of discussion every other month?
    Why do we have so many repetitive Bloomquist or Pierce threads? Crates are a popular bogeyman.

If someone doesn’t find a way to get the cost down or some major endorsement deals, I think it will all go to crate racing. It’s already happening in all forms of racing. For instance, when I was a kid racing go karts, 2 cycles and a 5hp Briggs and Stratton were all over the country. The cost of a national level Briggs went for around 2k in 2015. Now you still have kart racing all over the country but everything went to a sealed “clone” engine to cut costs. These team owners are starting to understand the cost without winning and they are taking notice. I think it will also force the chassis builders, engine guys and parts manufacturers to cut cost also. Unless you have Landers cash, your feeling that knot in your pocket get smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by tsand View Post
    Duh crates are a lower class.
    Of course crates are a lower class. My point was I'm not opposed to a limited late model type class. Just not crates.

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter815 View Post
    Might as well just run a b-mod at that point.
    Better than crates

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmanracr21 View Post
    Yep! Modified guys are horrible about this. Paying help and picking on working guys that actually belong in the mods

When crate racing came out it was a great class. The problem is now you pay 15 to 20 grand for a competive motor. You have almost what a spec engine cost and run for half the purse. It’s good for young drivers that are learning but doesn’t make much sense for a old guy trying to save a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by kntcrshr 666 View Post
    Better than crates
    Most of those b-mods have a 602 crate in them.

Anyone spending 15-20 grand on a crate is throwing away their money.