Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    What about steering racks? I havent heard from the PO about the parts he has to sell so now im looking at a Woodward rack another forum member has for sale... 4.0 ratio i believe. I havent used a Woodward since the 80's... they look nice but the parts are pricey but arent they all....
    This is very general (if you can't get info on what is supposed to be on car)

The rack will typically be 1/2 to 3/4" longer (between tie rods) then the distance between the lower control arm mounting holes. Example if the lower holes are 18" apart, then a 18.25 to 18.75" length rack is generally used.

Rack ratio: sort of a personal preference, but typically the shorter the steering arms are you probably want a slower rack and vice versa. Ratio's have gotten a lot faster over the years and 4.0ish or faster is more the normal, but if you have long steering arms (around 5" verses 4.5") you might go up a little to a 4.4 to get similar speed as the short arm spindles.

For sure try to get a rack with the vertical slots, Just be aware there are different ends, some are more around the top of the shaft, some more at middle and some that are more below the shaft. Which one you need can vary depending on car. Now granted a lot of older cars don't need the slots because the tie rods are meant to be above the shaft so the old non clevis racks work fine for the most part.

The rack I'm looking at is a 3.66... I think I can retrofit the slotted ends. Definitely a plus for adjusting bump steer. Not sure on the servo spec. I'd really like a faster rack ratio... the one on my '95 is 3.3 something. I could replace the pinion on the Woodward if it's new enough... they don't service anything older than 10 years or so. Different model. I like bigger steering wheels if I can get my fat gut out of the way.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Tòa nh(not a nice word) Đường Việt sở hữu gồm 12 tầng với nhiều thiết bị nội thất hiện đại. Đây l(not a nice word) địa điểm được nhiều công ty lớn tại Đ(not a nice word) Nẵng thuê phòng hội nghị ở Đ(not a nice word) Nẵng[/b] để l(not a nice word)m nơi họp h(not a nice word)nh, chia sẻ kinh nghiệm, giới thiệu sản phẩm mới ra mắt thị trường.

V(not a nice word)y tại sao thuê phòng hội nghị Đ(not a nice word) Nẵng

- Sức chứa người từ 20 - 99 người. Th(not a nice word)ch hợp từng mục đ(not a nice word)ch s(not a nice word) dụng.

- Trang thiết bị phòng LED hiện đại b(not a nice word)c nhất th(not a nice word)ch hợp trình chiếu, thuyết trình các dự án lớn nhỏ.

- Hệ thống lọc âm ho(not a nice word)n to(not a nice word)n không ảnh hưởng phòng kế bên.

- Có nhân viên hỗ trợ giúp chuẩn bị buổi họp của KH được tốt hơn.

- Ngo(not a nice word)i ra còn có quán cafe sân thượng nhiều món ăn v(not a nice word) nước uống th(not a nice word)ch hợp cho các buổi phải hoạt động kéo d(not a nice word)i.

Đặc biệt: Giao thông tiện lợi có thể di chuyển khắp th(not a nice word)nh phố Đ.N.

Đặt chỗ cho thuê phòng hội nghị Đ(not a nice word) Nẵng thông qua Hotline: 01207 88 0707

– Địa chỉ: 30 Nguyễn Hữu Thọ, Hải Châu, Đ(not a nice word) Nẵng.

Too Can Chew to you too.
    Class of 2019

I guess the mods dont even look at the tech section any more......

Yep...you are correct. I sent ModJr1 a message a few days ago.
    Class of 2019

I see Wehrs makes an adapter to put slotted ends on a standard rack....anybody use them?

http://www.wehrsmachine.com/catalog/...roducts_id=263
    Last edited by Krooser; 10-14-2018 at 02:12 AM.
    Class of 2019

I see Wehrs makes an adapter to put slotted ends on a standard rack....anybody use them?

http://www.wehrsmachine.com/catalog/...roducts_id=263
    It's gonna make your rack length a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    It's gonna make your rack length a lot longer.
    Use just one and shorten the tie rod? Shorten the rack and drill/tap a new hole?
    Class of 2019

Use just one and shorten the tie rod? Shorten the rack and drill/tap a new hole?
    Changing the tie rod length could mess up your bump steer more than this part fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Changing the tie rod length could mess up your bump steer more than this part fixes it.
    Yeah you're correct.

Back in the early 80's I was rebuilding my '69 Galaxie late model into a Torino. the car was an old USAC car from '61... I installed a '65 front stub, used Impala spindles turned around to fit the Ford rear steering box.

I spent dozens of days on a graph chart and under that car figuring out how to get zero bump steer. When I got it right I fab'd a custom center line using .060 1" DOM and weld on shock lumps.

The car debuted at Chilton, WI's little 1/5 mile banked dirt oval (which I would promote at 7 years later). Anyway I ran a ten lap heat race pushing like a dump truck... when I pulled into the pits, and hit the trailer ramps, the center link fell off!

So much for zero bump steer AND light weight steering parts!
    Class of 2019