Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Late models vs. Sprints What’s say you?

What makes you enjoy late model racing more than sprint cars or vice versa?

I would consider myself a late model purist. I enjoy watching the bigger cars at a slower pace, seems to me it makes for better racing on a consistent basis. Guess I’ve developed a liking for the personalities in the sport as well.

Another reason is nights like last night, which seems to happen every year, I really don’t wanna be in the stands when there’s a deadly crash and have to watch a guy get cut out of a car and rushed away to a hospital. I know racing is dangerous, just seems late models are not as deadly.

My family and I visited family in California 3 years ago and as I’m sure you all know that’s sprint car country. They, as do a lot of sprint fans, seem to stick their nose up in regards to late models. While there we went to a race at Thunderbowl Speedway in Tulare. My wife’s uncle is involved with the track, sponsors and even gave them the water truck that they use, years ago. We received the VIP treatment and watched a awesome nonwing feature that night. Had a blast. That was my sons first trip to a dirt track, 2 years old, wearing a Jason Feger t-shirt!

After returning to Tennessee I thought maybe I should make some trips to Indiana to watch some more sprint stuff. We tried that and I figured out real quick, night in and night out nothing trips my trigger like watching guys like Babb and others pound the cushion and pull sliders in those big cars.

There is nothing quiet like the beauty of a dirt late model. Not putting the sprints down, but I've never been a non-fender type of person. I don't even care much for the mods looks. Just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud99 View Post
    There is nothing quiet like the beauty of a dirt late model. Not putting the sprints down, but I've never been a non-fender type of person. I don't even care much for the mods looks. Just my personal opinion.
    Yes! ^^^^^
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Back when TNN had winged sprints and spills and chills every Sat. night, it was a great show. Then TNN disappeared. Then the drivers had that secret meeting and agreed to a "no-touch" rule, the fun was gone. Now a 30-lap sprint feature lasts about six minutes. What fun is that.

Take the wings off and Sprints are awesome!

Im all for BB MODS and LM.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

It takes longer to get a sprint feature on the track and started than the whoke feature itself.

I like most kinds of dirt cars excluding fwd and hobby/street stocks. Some of the best races I have ever seen involved sprint cars or late models.

Just give me a good competitive race. I grew up around late models and there have been nights when “my guy” dominated but the 4 cyclinder class that rolled out minutes later put on a far better show.

To me a sprints vs late models question is kinda silly especially when tracks are closing down over stupid political squabbles. The so called “top” classes need to be supportive of the “lesser” classes and vice versa. If one poo poos the other they both will lose places to race at.

Super lates. No question.

Kelly Carlton gives a great take on the importance of FWDs.

I am a "Johnny Come Lately" fan of Dirt Late Models. I grew up in NJ and followed the Big Block Modifieds. In the early 80's I attended Williams Grove Speedway for the first time and was hooked on sprint cars. In 1990, I was transferred for work to Eastern Pennsylvania and for the next 25 years made the 90 minute to 2 hour trek to Central Pa on a regular basis to follow the sprint cars. Three years ago I happened to be in Salisbury, MD for work and attended a WoO DLM race at Delaware International on a Thursday night.....and I was hooked. Now I am about 50/50 on attending sprint car & DLM races on a yearly basis. I still enjoy both types on racing. Last week, I was able to arrange my work schedule so I would be in Pittsburgh for the week and attended my first Crown Jewel event on Thursday night at Lernerville Speedway for the opening night of the Firecracker 100. I have been to both Knoxville and Eldora, but for sprint car races. There are still several big DLM shows on my life bucket list that I would like to see.

I'm not afraid to admit I love non wing sprints or midgets. Usually the few classes where the track conditions and setup of the car matter less than the driver sitting in the seat. And it also seems like many of the non wing drivers aren't afraid to try a new line and fail vs play follow the leader for 25 laps straight.
    Winged sprints after the 20 seconds of being impressed by the speed are like watching paint dry unless it's a good slider type track.
    And most sprints lose a few notches due to the whole 10-15 minutes to push start, BUT I was watching lucasoilTV this week at Skagit Speedway in WA, and they had midgets (ford focus engines) WITH starters. It was awesome to see. Even had b features for them. In this day and age, they should really add the 20-30lbs it takes to put a starter system in sprints.
    While late models would be classified as my 2nd favorite behind non wings, they do seem more track condition dependant and but i also believe some of the "one lane" racing is attributed to the more conservative driving style of many late model racers vs open wheel.

Non wing sprints are competitive and entertaining if the track is racey at all. Personally wouldn’t walk across the street to see a WOO sprint race.

leave the wings off and they are ok with wings on they have almost become a speed exhibition

I used to like both types of cars pretty equally, but the body count in open wheel stuff over the last few years has soured me on them.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I used to like both types of cars pretty equally, but the body count in open wheel stuff over the last few years has soured me on them.
    This response sums up the reason I felt compelled to start the thread.
    Coffins on wheels

Had a chance to attend a Sprint Car show only 20 minutes from home Friday night. We went to see Jurassic World instead. That's my answer.

2017. You had Sheppard the guy to beat in WoO, Best motorsports, Team longhorn and Bloomer made the Lucas series a fight to the end. Most pro series racers make your local guys look silly, and that is mostly seen in the sprint car ranks. I personally enjoy both classes of cars as a bleacher bum. We raced sprint cars for 7 yrs in pa. You think you have something for the travelers when they come to town, then reality sets in. There the best for a reason. There all dam good, be it in a SLM or a 410 sprint car, and they are a pleasure to watch.

love em both. 410 sprint cars both winged and wingless and also love super late models. Crate anything sucks. Top class racing is about speed.

Love them both, and go watch both. When I was younger, I was more of a sprint car fan. As I have gotten older I have become a bigger late model fan and follow them more. BUT the Knoxville Nationals for Sprints is the biggest dirt race in the world. And should be a must see for any dirt racing fan. Great atmosphere, huge enthusiastic crowd and a town totally embraces the whole thing.
    Go Buckeyes!!!