Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Without Bloomquist, the future is now for dirt racing promoters

Scott Bloomquist will retire one day. When he does, his upcoming absence could serve as what's to come for the sport.

https://insidedirtracing.com/without...ing-promoters/

I do not understand how anyone could find positive outcome by losing the most popular draw in the sport of DLM racing. I’m really confused by how a promoter can gain by losing the zero. Remember, Scott gets paid to show up to most races that aren’t Lucas Oil events. They pay him so they can put his face on a poster and gain attendance. Look at what the death of Dale Earnhardt did to NASCAR. I hope I am wrong but I do not see how the absence of the driver fans love or love to hate can be positive. Great picture though sir.

Bloomer having someone drive for him after he retires might be the next best thing to having Bloomer still on the track. People might see the Bloomer house car driver as the next villain.

I think the point is promoters need to make the sport bigger than just one guy. DLM racing would be better if we had 5 or 6 Bloomquist type headliners instead of just one.

Bloomquist is Hulk Hogan, but there's no Flair, Macho Man, Andre the Giant, HHH, or Stone Cold to go with him.

Somebody or group of somebodys need to fill that mantle or DLM racing like Nascar will face a decline.

Some would contend, the decline has already begun.

I’m really confused by how a promoter can gain by losing the zero. Remember, Scott gets paid to show up to most races that aren’t Lucas Oil events.
    They can sell the property to a real estate developer who will turn it into a shopping mall.

Zonks you make a great point. But the only way to make the Flair, Macho Man, Andre the Giant, HHH, Stone Cold to go with him is somebody is going to have to step up and take on those roles. Me personally i could see Madden, Davenport, Owens, Richards, Sheppard, and the list could go on to take the sport on to the next level and get over the hump if Bloomquist said im done.

Another point that was made about the bloomquist house car being the next villain could be very true but it would have to have the same attitude as bloomquist for it to work

First of all wrestling, or at least the wrestling being discussed here, is not exactly like racing. For one thing, it's kinda "scripted" or to put it bluntly, faked. Yeah, I'm sorry if I shattered anybody's world by stating that. It may be true that some of the off track rivalry may be played up and exaggerated by media, but for the most part the actual racing is real. That means anyone who's going to step up to fill the shoes, is going to have to actually deliver in terms of real world performance. Race fans demand it. This ain't the special olympics where everybody gets a trophy and we don't declare winners. Just having attitude or confidence is not enough by itself. If a race car driver is (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)y and arrogant, but he can't produce results, he just looks like a moron who doesn't know any better. So, it's not so simple. On the other hand, if he can do things behind the wheel of a racecar that make you think "wow", then, even if you don't particularly love his personality, you will respect him for his abilities. That's what makes drivers like Bloomquist, Kyle Bush, etc. and sets them apart from the rest. Bottom line, bullsh!t may be a part of racing, but it only plays a supporting role.
    Last edited by Stefan2k4; 06-26-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Cowboy, your exactly right. A good villain roll is a money maker. Everything Scott does has a purpose and the people that do not understand it, will show up to see what’s going to happen next. They talk about when he is late, his fancy rig, the long hair, the WRG issue, he is a cheater and the list goes on. Smart men realize that any press, is good press. People focus on his bad press more than they focus on their own driver. How many topics on this forum do you see where a fan posts about how well their driver ran? Let some gossip get started on Scott and it’s flys to a dog turd.

Centeroff, of course, it's a part of it. Racing is entertainment. However, if Bloomquist wasn't as good as he is and didnit have the track record of success, none of this would work. That's the key ingredient. It's the stark contrast. You know that a driver who can perform on this level has to be intelligent , disciplined, and calculating. So, when he has this bad boy image, it makes him a conundrum or enigma, a much more complex and fascinating character than what appears on the surface.

Centeroff you are exactly right and its always funny especially when scott wins his interviews after the race are priceless. The only way that works once he hangs up the helmet is to put somebody in his "house" car that has the same mind set and same attitude which i think he will and scott will never fully be done with racing he will build cars and possibly run a team and by team i mean a team like say what bowyer has there will be drivers that will be in his house cars and they will be bad fast and bad ass you know the one thing that kind of strikes me as odd is scott is a bad ass but drives clean

One benefit for promoters is that they don't have to deal with all of his drama.

Like I said, if you think DLM is struggling now, wait until this guy hangs it up for good. Am not nor ever have been a 0 fan but I want him at every race I pay my money to see.

Krypotonite thats everybody that goes to the race the first thing you hear from about 90% of the people in the stands is Bloomquist here?

Fry fan, I think you have drama confused with showmanship. Drama is something teenage girls deal with. Showmanship is a calculated plan to entertain and still get the job done. Love him or hate him, he is the show. Stefan2k4, you are exactly right about the winning part of the equation. Fans go to see if their driver can outrun the zero car and zero fans go racing with all expectations of Scott winning. Watch a bad (any) sports team and pay attention to the bleachers. The only time Cleveland Browns football has a nice crowd is when New England comes to town and that’s because they want to catch a glimpse of Tom Brady. The die hard fans may go and freeze their a$$es off to watch them lose but Tom Brady can drag mommy and the babies out.

Cool

The thing about Bloomquist is that he is a very smart and analytical racer who paid his dues over many years when other racers came and went. Scott is not afraid to make changes to his operation. He is a very determined racer who made his own success. Nothing was handed to him. As a result, he earned the respect of fans all over this Nation.

Very good point Mod Runner and i agree with you and the bad part is there aren't but a handful of racers like that left

I recall when the sprint car world felt that Wolfgang, Swindell, and Kinser were the only thing holding that segment of the racing world together. Hopefully the DLM segment is stronger than one person. There’s always someone that comes along, if not then DLM is already in trouble. But then again I have never understood the hero worship this guy and others receive.

I have never in my entire life attended an event because a particular driver was there, or not attended an event because any particular driver wasn't there. I've also never known any other fans who did either. I'm a fan of the sport. I'm not a groupie. Scott's groupies are the only people who think he's God, and that the sport can't survive without him. No one else thinks that way. I remember the sport before he came along. It was just as great back then, and just as popular. Nothing has changed with him, and nothing will change after him. Don't let the handful of Bloomer groupies who litter every thread on 4m, make you think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonks32x View Post
    I think the point is promoters need to make the sport bigger than just one guy. DLM racing would be better if we had 5 or 6 Bloomquist type headliners instead of just one.

Bloomquist is Hulk Hogan, but there's no Flair, Macho Man, Andre the Giant, HHH, or Stone Cold to go with him.

Somebody or group of somebodys need to fill that mantle or DLM racing like Nascar will face a decline.

Some would contend, the decline has already begun.
    NASCAR is dying because the racing sucks. It has nothing to do with Dale Earnhardt. If the racing was great every week, no one would be talking about Dale Sr.Or any of the other problems NASCAR has.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    I have never in my entire life attended an event because a particular driver was there, or not attended an event because any particular driver wasn't there. I've also never known any other fans who did either. I'm a fan of the sport. I'm not a groupie. Scott's groupies are the only people who think he's God, and that the sport can't survive without him. No one else thinks that way. I remember the sport before he came along. It was just as great back then, and just as popular. Nothing has changed with him, and nothing will change after him. Don't let the handful of Bloomer groupies who litter every thread on 4m, make you think otherwise.
    Oh my ! And a good day to you Sir

Nice perspective from a race fan as opposed to a stargazer.

I'll be at the jammed packed facility called FALS in about a month. The two things that won't be there...

1) Empty seats
    2) Scott Bloomquist
    8/13/16