Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Karl Performance closing their doors at the end of 2018.

Karl Performance close their doors at the end of 2018.
    Letter below.

Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

So does Moyer go back to longhorns like Jr?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by getinit View Post
    So does Moyer go back to longhorns like Jr?
    He is still a Rayburn Dealer...
    He was once the BWRC house car driver and remains friends with Barry, so that is a possibility to.
    Maybe even resurrect Larry Shaw. Best of luck to the Moyer's.

I wonder if the part about not being positioned for changes in the market has to do with so many classes these days being, "Crate" only? I hate Crates.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

What this means is when 50% less cars are being sold. Someone goes under. there Just the first.

All that it means is they built a monstrosity with enormous overhead that might impossible to
    Maintain good margins ... the first thing I thought when I seen their add is how the hel is this place going to make money ?? Rocket chassis built into what it is today over the course of decades , you can’t throw together a random group of guys and rival that over night

Quote Originally Posted by CageFaraday View Post
    He is still a Rayburn Dealer...
    He was once the BWRC house car driver and remains friends with Barry, so that is a possibility to.
    Maybe even resurrect Larry Shaw. Best of luck to the Moyer's.

I wonder if the part about not being positioned for changes in the market has to do with so many classes these days being, "Crate" only? I hate Crates.
    They do work on crates as well. When I was there in June, they had gotten 6 crates just that week that needed worked on.

It’s just the signs of a dying hobby. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Billy Moyer was never the BWRC house car driver... he drove one but not many times

That's sad to hear. I only used them a few times but had nothing but great service!

When Mods are your main business and most local tracks around Iowa now only have 12-15 Mods on any given night, its a sign of the times.

Huck makes a good point. There is surely an element of trying to be too big too quickly.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Bforwarned View Post
    When Mods are your main business and most local tracks around Iowa now only have 12-15 Mods on any given night, its a sign of the times.
    Really it is 30-40 mods since sport mods use the same chassis and most of the same parts.

Sorry its a little off topic but I read last week or a couple weeks ago CPS merged with another entity and I think the name is changing to something else. I just can't remember the name right now. Not sure if and when the new decals are going to be on any cars yet though

CPS is now Nurtrien Ag Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    CPS is now Nurtrien Ag Solutions
    Thanks. Haven't had the time to go back and look it up again.

Their business model just wasn't sustainable... as was mentioned too big too fast. I made the same mistake one time... never again.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

There are A LOT of modified and sport mod chassis builders too in and around Iowa, all looking for a piece of the pie. But I think this decisions is probably bigger than just the chassis side of the business

Quote Originally Posted by TMaCiLLiNi39 View Post
    Billy Moyer was never the BWRC house car driver... he drove one but not many times
    1999 Billy and Birky were team cars for Barry, but it didn't go the whole season, maybe half.

(Birky's car)
    1997-98' was Jack Pennington
    1993-(early 97) Scott Bloomquist w/ Ronnie Johnson as team mate in 96'.
    Last edited by CageFaraday; 07-12-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Dirt racing is Dieing and Its showing in car counts its only time now. As people Die so does the fan count and Car count.

It appears some don't know the history of what became Karl Performance.

Everett Sather had JR Motorsports and they are who did the victory mod, stock car and hobby stock chassis along with parts and engines
    Moyer bought JR Motorsports and moved it to Ankeny, coninued the chassis businesses, parts, and engines. He added the Crate Motors since they are a Chevy dealer and saw the $$$ from that. The other part of the business was restoring classic cars. This was all on the same site as the car dealership, one of the biggest in Iowa I think.

I am not sure what is causing the closing, less cars, the overhead as others have mentioned, or maybe something else. I always found it interesting Moyer put the chassis business up there, I wonder how much the dumped into that and he's apparently not very involved other than feedback. I also never heard of them running motors from that shop, so they kind of skirted the late model business but never jumped in whole hog.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMatt View Post
    It appears some don't know the history of what became Karl Performance.

Everett Sather had JR Motorsports and they are who did the victory mod, stock car and hobby stock chassis along with parts and engines
    Moyer bought JR Motorsports and moved it to Ankeny, coninued the chassis businesses, parts, and engines. He added the Crate Motors since they are a Chevy dealer and saw the $$$ from that. The other part of the business was restoring classic cars. This was all on the same site as the car dealership, one of the biggest in Iowa I think.

I am not sure what is causing the closing, less cars, the overhead as others have mentioned, or maybe something else. I always found it interesting Moyer put the chassis business up there, I wonder how much the dumped into that and he's apparently not very involved other than feedback. I also never heard of them running motors from that shop, so they kind of skirted the late model business but never jumped in whole hog.
    You are mostly correct, but here's a couple additions:

1. Karl Performance is not located on the same site as Karl Chevrolet. When Karl bought JR Motorsports he built a dedicated building for Karl Performance a few miles from the dealership.

2. Until a couple years ago Karl Performance did not build Late Models. It wasn't until Billy decided to have them build his cars that they started building Late Models.

3. Karl Performance is not really in the Open Late Model engine game, their engine specialty is IMCA Spec engines for Late Models, engines for Modifieds, Stockcars and Hobby stock and Crate engines.