Thread: Brake issues

Default Brake issues

I've been having some brake issues with them being sticky. I can hit the brakes and it seems the pedal doesn't come back all the way and the brakes drag. Doesn't happen all the time. When it does and I notice it I can stick foot on backside of pedal and pull it up and then their unstuck. It doesn't appear like the balance bar is causing it to stick. Could masters cause this? Looking for some other suggestions? Thanks for the help in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestExpress View Post
    I've been having some brake issues with them being sticky. I can hit the brakes and it seems the pedal doesn't come back all the way and the brakes drag. Doesn't happen all the time. When it does and I notice it I can stick foot on backside of pedal and pull it up and then their unstuck. It doesn't appear like the balance bar is causing it to stick. Could masters cause this? Looking for some other suggestions? Thanks for the help in advance!
    Most of the time it's the pedal assembly. Also if you have the brakes adjusted all the way one way (to lock on the adjuster), the locking nut that attaches the adjusting hose to the pedal can jam against the clevis on the M/C and cause it the jam up the pedal assembly if it traveled far enough and lock up the assembly.

I thought about the adjuster nut also. But it still does it with brakes about center. So you think a new pedal assembly might fix the problem? The car was used when we got it and not sure on how old the pedals are. It's got wilwood pedal assembly in it.

I only have experience with Wilwood pedals, but I know you can take them apart and clean/lube everything, balance bar included. I've also replaced the balance bar in mine (not for the reason you explain), but just saying they can be serviced.

If they also happen to be reversed mount masters, check and make sure the forward most mounting bolt (that mounts the pedals to the chassis) on the balance bar adjuster side is not too long, because it can get hung up there (where the bolt threads stick up out of the pedal assembly).
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 07-16-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestExpress View Post
    I thought about the adjuster nut also. But it still does it with brakes about center. So you think a new pedal assembly might fix the problem? The car was used when we got it and not sure on how old the pedals are. It's got wilwood pedal assembly in it.

Pink is the pedal
    Blue is a nut on each side of the mono-ball (red) that locks it in place on the threaded shaft (black)
    yellow is the clevis on each master cylinder
    brown is the attached adjuster hose
    orange is the washers between the pedal and clevis's

it's pretty easy to remove the pedal and take it apart and clean and replace the mono ball if needed. Unless it's really worn out in the bore of the pedal where the mono-ball slides, then you can usually clean and lube it and try that. You can use a wheel cylinder brake hone if the bore is really rough to clean and smooth it out. It should just be a 3/8 mono-ball IIRC, if you need to replace that.