Default JD - riding the cushion

Question for the board. Last night JD rode the cushion and did it very well. I noticed that he would take the car into the corner and the back would snap around very sharply as he set it for the corner. Looked like what a sprint car does. I didn't notice anyone else with that sharp motion. Is that a JD thing, something different they do in setup? He ran a great race up on the cushion. He was smooth and had few, if any, bobbles up there. Great job of keeping his momentum up.

Quote Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
    Question for the board. Last night JD rode the cushion and did it very well. I noticed that he would take the car into the corner and the back would snap around very sharply as he set it for the corner. Looked like what a sprint car does. I didn't notice anyone else with that sharp motion. Is that a JD thing, something different they do in setup? He ran a great race up on the cushion. He was smooth and had few, if any, bobbles up there. Great job of keeping his momentum up.
    He’s very good up there. You have to hit it just right with the RR, or you’ll jump the cushion, or snap to the right.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Regardless of setup I'd guess it has to do with his feet an what he's comfortable with, just a guess though ...... even though he didn't win the dream I found it hard to take my eyes off him the whole weekend whenever he was married to the top, fun to watch!

He is fun to watch running the top. Was either 2015 or 16 at the world finals (JD won 1 and Sheppard won the other in Westfalls back up) but it had rained all week before, track was really rough and he was the only 1 going and staying up top. Car looked like a boat skipping across the waves but he made it work and was really fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
    If I was making a guess he shut off the RF brake to do that.

I was standing in turn 1 for the final 10-15 laps, watching JD lift for a millisecond to turn and set the car on the cushion, and then hammer the gas. It was some amazing driving, as 0 could hold his line and speed through the turn just underneath him. It's a setup he's known for, and I'm sure it's one he and Kevin have perfected. The motor sounded incredible, as well. If there's a cushion tomorrow night (and I'm sure there will be), he'll be on it, and other usual suspects like B-Shepp, Pierce, and T-Mac will be riding it, as well.

EDIT: Just read the DoD article from Kovac. Says they weren't set up at all to run the top like that. An even bigger testament to his driving last night...and to the improved performance after swapping out the Durham motor for G.R.'s tuned up Cornett Chevy.
    Last edited by jbinlincoln; 07-20-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinlincoln View Post
    I was standing in turn 1 for the final 10-15 laps, watching JD lift for a millisecond to turn and set the car on the cushion, and then hammer the gas. It was some amazing driving, as 0 could hold his line and speed through the turn just underneath him. It's a setup he's known for, and I'm sure it's one he and Kevin have perfected. The motor sounded incredible, as well. If there's a cushion tomorrow night (and I'm sure there will be), he'll be on it, and other usual suspects like B-Shepp, Pierce, and T-Mac will be riding it, as well.

EDIT: Just read the DoD article from Kovac. Says they weren't set up at all to run the top like that. An even bigger testament to his driving last night...and to the improved performance after swapping out the Durham motor for G.R.'s tuned up Cornett Chevy.
    Where’s the guy at that always wanted to know Ford or Chevy. Only to blow Ford, and crap on Chevy. Run what works for you no matter what.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.