Default Hard shifting bert

Probably time to come out. Have to bang to get in low and reverse. And hard to find the sweet spot to get into high. What should I look for? Easy to get parts if needed? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by shawburn View Post
    Probably time to come out. Have to bang to get in low and reverse. And hard to find the sweet spot to get into high. What should I look for? Easy to get parts if needed? Thanks in advance.
    Couple of questions

1. First gen or 2nd gen? (gen 1 = 2 lever shifter & gen 2 = 1 lever shifter)
    2. Mag or aluminum case?

If gen 1, if it's older and a mag case it's common for the detents to get sticky and won't allow it to shift. The older ones don't have radius's on the shift rails, which makes it even harder with age.

If that is the case, I can tell you how to fix but will likely need to make some drawings for clarity.

Gen 1: if you can't get into low or reverse (lever just doesn't want to move) wiggle the high lever (front to back slightly) while pulling on the 2nd/reverse lever. If it works then likely the detents are sticking or hanging up. The high gear lever has to be 100% in the nuetral position for the detent to allow the 2nd/reverse lever to move. If the detents are messed up/sticking it will cause this or if it's old and doesn't have those raduis's I talked about it just shifts harder then it should.

It is a Gen 1 aluminum case.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Gen 1: if you can't get into low or reverse (lever just doesn't want to move) wiggle the high lever (front to back slightly) while pulling on the 2nd/reverse lever. If it works then likely the detents are sticking or hanging up. The high gear lever has to be 100% in the nuetral position for the detent to allow the 2nd/reverse lever to move. If the detents are messed up/sticking it will cause this or if it's old and doesn't have those raduis's I talked about it just shifts harder then it should.
    See if above is the case:

If so then look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqr1d5-tvN0

at 15:32 you see the shifter shaft has 2 grooves in it. The old ones just have a half sphere cut in them with no top radius to help easy pushing the balls up and makes shifiting hard. they added this down the road, but I have just took a small grinder and broke the edges on the old ones. Usually what happens is the hole for the spring and balls gets corroded and don't let them move freely. Use a drill bit the correct size to ream and clean the hole (don't make larger, just clean the corrosion out of the hole) and lube and reassemble everything.

A quick drawing on modifying detent hole in shafts, break the edge where the red line's are.

https://i.imgur.com/OYZ7XK2.png

Do all detent grooves on both shafts.

Sometimes the spring gets corroded and won't compress enough to let the shaft move so clean the springs good with a wire brush if they have a lot of build up on them. (basically coil bind to early due to build up on coils)

Good luck.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 07-27-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks for the help

Make sure your shifter rod positions on the shift handles are not on the lower end of the adjustment holes. They need to be in the top 3 holes to give you more leverage. Makes moving in and out of gear very easy, but will make travel further in the shifter throw.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.