Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scorcher bulls gap canceled

Real fukin nice they cancel this 2 weeks prior after saying the Bristol truck race wouldn't affect attendance...

Volunteer Speedway alters August race schedule, ‘Scorcher’ canceled for 2018

BULLS GAP, Tenn. (July 30) — Race fans from all 50 states and also from several foreign countries visit the East Tennessee region two times a year for NASCAR racing at nearby Bristol Motor Speedway. Volunteer Speedway has always hosted big-purse special events during April (Spring Thaw – since 1999) and August (Scorcher – since 2004) in conjunction to NASCAR activities at BMS.

The Scorcher has always been held during mid-week on Thursday. But back in the spring, NASCAR and Bristol Motor Speedway switched the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and Whelen Modified Tour events from Wednesday, Aug. 15 to Thursday, Aug. 16, the same date as Volunteer Speedway released back the end of last November for the 2018 running of the 14th annual Scorcher.

The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and Whelen Modified Tour races are scheduled Thursday, Aug. 16 at Bristol Motor Speedway, with the Xfinity Series running on Friday, Aug. 17, followed by the Monster Energy Cup Series on Saturday, Aug. 18 – making it three straight nights of NASCAR racing at BMS.

Believing the change in schedule for the races by NASCAR and Bristol Motor Speedway would affect NASCAR fans staying in the region from visiting Volunteer Speedway for their “dirt racing fix” on Thursday, promoter Mitch McCarter has made the decision, for this season, to cancel the Scorcher. … Racing on Wednesday night at Volunteer Speedway isn’t an option, due to a longstanding agreement going back to the 1970s with a nearby church that dirt-track racing wouldn’t be held on “church night.”

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    Real fukin nice they cancel this 2 weeks prior after saying the Bristol truck race wouldn't affect attendance...
    You’re 100% correct. They said it would not affect them, and now they did a 180.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Why don't they just run it another week?

Just run it on Wednesday night swap out with them the people are already here what's the difference

They cant run on Wednesday because they have an agreement with a church not to run on service nights. But they've known this schedule for several months. Seems like a chicken**** move and then they will wonder why fans are mad.

At least booking.com has a free cancelation...

Is volunteer speedway trying to compete with Smokey Mountain speedway for the Shettiest track in east Tennessee for fan relations ?

They used to have this race in June, the same weekend as the NHRA drag race at Bristol. Perhaps they should reconsider moving it back to that weekend. My brother and I attended it in 2010, when Bloomer picked up his first win with Roush-Yates power under the hood. We were in town for the drag race. The drag race qualifying usually ends early on saturday. So, we had time to catch a little Dirt track racing. Back then it was 2 night show. If this is now just a one night show, as it appears to be, Then just have it on Saturday night of the NHRA weekend.

Well this one’s left me speechless...was looking forward to attending that race FAR more than watching the truck race on the tube

Maybe its as simple as they haven't had as successful a season thus far(too many rainouts) and not enough cookies in the jar to risk running against the Nascar race. I don't presume to know, but since running a racetrack is a business and NOT a hobby I'm not gonna throw any stones in their direction. Race junkies never understand making racing pay, whether its a driver choosing an event closer to home over a prestigious one or a promoter making a fiscal decision looking at what his competition might be. There is a difference between racing for fun and trying to make a living with it. JMO

Run it on Wednesday, the church has to forgive you.

SRO for WOO race

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by turnleftandgasit View Post
    ... a smart businessman doesn't needlessly rile his neighbors, especially race tracks.

Romans 12:18 (ESV)

18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Quote Originally Posted by turnleftandgasit View Post
    KLMS learned the hard way. Don’t piss off the neighbors.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Didn't they just end up putting part of a highway or planning to instead?

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Didn't they just end up putting part of a highway or planning to instead?
    At KLMS yes. I believe part of the pits is being used for new on ramps/off ramps from I24 I think it is.

Do we think the McCarters will put in all of this effort to run both tracks next year? Is the money made worth all the effort? Run less weekly, and more specials? They don't need the money! I hope they continue, but wonder. This race being cancelled a couple weeks before, after months of saying it would go on, is another thing to make one wonder! I think it would work very well on Friday, if Wednesday and Thursday are totally out of the question! Side note, Many of you can come see your East Tenn. stars next month at Dixie and Rome!!

Quote Originally Posted by champion24 View Post
    Do we think the McCarters will put in all of this effort to run both tracks next year? Is the money made worth all the effort? Run less weekly, and more specials? They don't need the money! I hope they continue, but wonder. This race being cancelled a couple weeks before, after months of saying it would go on, is another thing to make one wonder! I think it would work very well on Friday, if Wednesday and Thursday are totally out of the question! Side note, Many of you can come see your East Tenn. stars next month at Dixie and Rome!!
    This year could not have been a good year to try to run 2 different tracks with all the weather headaches.

I agree with the consensus that they haven't done what they hoped for and cancelled this race just to be on the safe side of things instead of going up against Bristol.
    "The Wise One"

Great weather Wednesday and Thursday nights! Would have been great to see some dirt racing! This still sucks!! Wonder what they are thinking for next year, if there is a next year?!