Thread: Rf spring rate

Default Rf spring rate

What are the effects of to soft of a rf spring?

Tight entry and loose exit. Less cross weight less dynamic wedge.

Bottoming out your suspension.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Rf never bottomed out im pretty sure it was coil binding before it bottomed out, the car would instantly get super tight and then have horrible drive off, does that seem like what it would do if it was to soft?

Quote Originally Posted by racing_kid View Post
    Rf never bottomed out im pretty sure it was coil binding before it bottomed out, the car would instantly get super tight and then have horrible drive off, does that seem like what it would do if it was to soft?
    Yeah, too soft for the rest of your setup anyway.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

How much is too soft? I have a friend with a 2017 GRT and the standard RF is a #550. He said he is great when their is moisture but sux bad in the slick. He is doing the normal adjustments any of us would do to tighten up (more wedge, less rear steer, lower RL 4 bar) but nothing is helping. I suggested to soften the RF but don't want him to over do it. This guy has been running a 4bar mod for about 10yrs and this car is really giving him trouble. Calling GRT hasn't helped......JS

Quote Originally Posted by slmcrewchief99 View Post
    How much is too soft? I have a friend with a 2017 GRT and the standard RF is a #550. He said he is great when their is moisture but sux bad in the slick. He is doing the normal adjustments any of us would do to tighten up (more wedge, less rear steer, lower RL 4 bar) but nothing is helping. I suggested to soften the RF but don't want him to over do it. This guy has been running a 4bar mod for about 10yrs and this car is really giving him trouble. Calling GRT hasn't helped......JS
    If it is drive off you are talking about, you need to go the other way. More spring in the RF.
    Keep front wheel weights within 50lbs of each other at ride heights. The 550 RF spring worked great for us on tacky and slick with our GRT.
    Soft RF spring= tightens entry and looser/less drive off
    Stiff(er) RF spring = loosens entry and tightens/more drive off
    Check your ride heights.

Quote Originally Posted by hpontap View Post
    If it is drive off you are talking about, you need to go the other way. More spring in the RF.
    Keep front wheel weights within 50lbs of each other at ride heights. The 550 RF spring worked great for us on tacky and slick with our GRT.
    Soft RF spring= tightens entry and looser/less drive off
    Stiff(er) RF spring = loosens entry and tightens/more drive off
    Check your ride heights.
    Totally backwards of everything we do with our late model setup. As the track slows down and slicks off we go softer on the RF, harder LF at times, more wedge, drop the RRL bar, Less rear steer..... That's what has been around for years as ways to tighten the car and get more drive. I'm not a Mod guy so don't chastise me but You have totally lost me when you say to go to a heavier RF spring in the slick.

If you went to to the ultimate soft RF spring setup which is no spring at all in the RF, what would it do ?
    If the right springs are not under the car, then no amount of bar adjustments in the world will get you where you need to be in my opinion.
    Go to GRT's website and look at setup help. Lots of good stuff in there. I fought my car until I started following their recommendations. Then small adjustments one at a time from there. It worked for me. Good luck with it.

There is more than one way to get dynamic wedge. The spring can be soft if you have a bump stop to eventually wedge it up. Yes, a soft RF, on its own, does hurt forward bite in the sense you can be running on pretty much rr off the corner.

The stiffer rf will loosen entry. It may be a fair compromise if entry is currently tight.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

LR grip is dependent on how soft or stiff the RF is. It needs something to fight against. If the RF is just compressing then there is nothing pushing against the LR to make drive.

I do the same as slmcrewchief99 on my modified. Works great. Flatter, smoother tracks I run a 450 rf, more banking or rough I jump to 550

im with Master on this , a soft rf spring to get in and some type of stop to gain dynamic wedge will give drive off , but no bump stop or coil bind and you loose drive off with softer rf spring , or at least thats how its always worked with me.......