Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default donny schatz motors...

tony stewart said today the andy durham is developing their fuel injected ford motors for their sprintcar team. it was suppose ti debut in may but probably won't happen till next year...

Thats interesting wonder if they will make more horse power since those cars are half as light as a super

Sprinters run direct injection, down nozzles right into the combustion chamber. Not sure what there working on fuel injection wise, maybe Durham is just getting into the Sprint game, or a new style injection. More of a TBI set up, or Port injected not sure.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Sprinters run direct injection, down nozzles right into the combustion chamber. Not sure what there working on fuel injection wise, maybe Durham is just getting into the Sprint game, or a new style injection. More of a TBI set up, or Port injected not sure.
    Sprint cars do not run direct injection they run mechanical fuel injection which is basically a nozzle that is in the intake very similar to where a port fuel injection injector will be placed

Its not in the combustion chamber true, its behind the intake valve. Mech fuel injection is still fuel injection, maybe they got some electronic deal not sure.

I wonder how long it will be before some kind of Fuel Injection in SLMs?

Just say no...

Downport nozzles are in the bowl next to the valve from the header side.

They are trying to come up with something because they are running Chevy motors in a car with a big Ford sticker on the side.
    Go Buckeyes!!!

I thought the hold up was due to WOO not allowing a custom made "ford" block. Something like the block must be based off of a production unit and not custom designed for racing only. So the production ford blocks just aren't able to make the power and torque curves and numbers the chevys can. Great for WOO for keeping the engine costs down and not turning the current 410 motors obsolete. I think they probably saw what has happened in late models when the wide bores were allowed and didnt want the same situation.

Id be really curious what a top WOO 410 sprint car costs race ready vs a Super late model costs race ready currently.

The WoO do not want a custom block from Ford. That would open a whole new level of cost in the short term as Chevy would create a new block and that would also allow Toyota into the mix. They also are not rushing the engine, TSR & Ford want it right the first time. No trial and error on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    Id be really curious what a top WOO 410 sprint car costs race ready vs a Super late model costs race ready currently.
    Just taking an educated guess. But, I would say a 410 is actually cheaper than a super late.

I don't think I'd even have to look at the numbers to know which one is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by racincowboy02 View Post
    Thats interesting wonder if they will make more horse power since those cars are half as light as a super
    I know there is good gap between c16 race gas and methonal on the dyno. I've seen chassis dyno pulls that surprised me. Sprints would be pushing well over 1000hp if there wasn't a cubic inch limit, which would be down right scary IMO.

A new Kistler 410, Parker or Speedway with oiling system, stacks and filter assembly, Mag and radiator mounted is $60k give or take a few thousand. This would be for a ballpark 950hp wind her tight motor built to run places like Knoxville, Eldora and are good for around 10-12 nights between rebuilds. On rebuilds, at least when we had Kistler, the valvetrain automatically gets tossed, as well as pistons. Rebuilds are in the 10-13k range with no damage.

I think the reason you never saw Ford's in sprint cars much was because of weight. The Ford blocks were always a bit bigger, taller deck height, I believe, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, back in the day, when Casey Luna was running a Ford, with Booby Davis Jr, and later Dave Blaney behind the wheel, that was a disadvantage for them. Sprint cars are so light that a few extra pounds here or there is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Its not in the combustion chamber true, its behind the intake valve. Mech fuel injection is still fuel injection, maybe they got some electronic deal not sure.

I wonder how long it will be before some kind of Fuel Injection in SLMs?
    Sprint cars(USAC) use whats called "Mechanical Constant Flow Injection" no electronics allowed. Supers in the past have used this same type injection(wasn't mandatory, but allowed) during the wedge late model days. Personally I hope electronic injection never comes to DLM. Hard to beat a well tuned carb, they're simple and they work.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Ok so what fuel does the sprints run now and what did they use to run seems like i remember them running alcohol base fuel at one time or am i wrong

Sprint engines still run alcohol. So TSR racing chose Durham to develop a Ford engine for their Sprint cars. Most likely TSR wants a durable and powerful engine. Ford has been trying for years to get engine builders to build Ford 410 engines for Sprint cars, but no one appeared to have the financial resources to complete the task. TSR appears to have the desire to make a competitive 410 Ford Sprint car engine a reality.

Why wouldn't Ford develop one themselves? Or what about guys like Roush or Roush/Yates group

Wow thats very interesting Mod Runner thanks for the info

Good Question MI Dirt Fan Maybe they didn't see a need to do it or didn't feel like it would be competitive. Roush Yate would have been a pretty decent option but maybe they are more focused on the late model and nascar stuff right now