Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Walk Back...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Aside from the bodies, the cars looked SO much better back then when not everybody had a 15-color vinyl wrap on the car. A lot those cars also had hand-painted graphics including pin striping. That is a lost art.
    I’ve noticed that the trend in wraps is starting to go back to relatively simple designs. This s a good thing.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Cool

My favorite era. We were in between the end of NDRA, and the beginning of HAT. You never knew who might pull through the gate of any major or minor event. More chassis brands and ideas about suspensions than you could shake a stick at: Leaf/Coil cars, 4 link cars, Swing Arm cars, 3 Link Cars, Canti-Levers and on and on, only your imagination was your limitation. Bullitts, Rockets, Warriors, Barry Wrights, JigALo's, Walter Newmans, Rayburns, Mastersbilt's, TNT, Jig-Lite, Lou Feger's ... It was a grand time to be DLM racing. Sure there was money about, but you could still scrape together something with your friends, come up with a setup idea and every now and them upset the travelers. Thanks for sharing, I subscribe to BJ Whites channel too.

I believe at this time we were still running the last "Custom Chassis" built by Frank McClendon before they shut their doors. It was a new design "Wide-34 inch" 3 link that replaced our previous "Narrow 32 inch" reverse canti-lever car. Leon Sells was the driver, but he preferred Jigalo's to Custom. Last feature we won with that car was earlier this same year at Seven Flags Speedway(West Atlanta Speedway) in Douglasville Georgia, out ran Stan Massey(Leon's nephew) in his new Rayburn Leaf car. I was 6 years away from starting my career at Carrera Racing Shocks and met D!ck Anderson earlier this same year working on his Mexican Road Race 55' Lincoln.

Final thought, I also like the drapes we were allowed to use back then. Provided another place for sponsorship adverts and added to the mystery of who was doing what. Helped keep the technological progression to a slower pace, instead of todays pooling of knowledge which just accelerates expense, at least in my view. It was always fun hanging out at the pit gate to watch cars enter and exit the track and try and sneak a peak before the crew could snap the drape back on. LOL (No phone cameras, just a quick eye)
    Last edited by CageFaraday; 08-12-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Phatdaddy View Post
    I remember that year's race.. Moran had 'em covered. I remember how cold it was that Friday night
    It was unbelievably cold and windy. I froze that night and bought some clothes the next morning at Richmond. Always stayed at the Knights Inn/Motel Six every year almost. A few times at Lee's Inn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwalker View Post
    I saw some of those cars. It was a good time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    It was unbelievably cold and windy. I froze that night and bought some clothes the next morning at Richmond. Always stayed at the Knights Inn/Motel Six every year almost. A few times at Lee's Inn.
    You didn't wear clothes to the track...? 🤔🤔🤔

I should have saw that coming!!!!