Thread: Afcos AT Series

Default Afcos AT Series

What ever happened to this "New" Jerry Link Afco double adjustable redesigned AT series. You barely see any mention on their site and this was supposed to make the "relevant again" has anyone actually ever seen anyone with a set? I'm not getting any just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    What ever happened to this "New" Jerry Link Afco double adjustable redesigned AT series. You barely see any mention on their site and this was supposed to make the "relevant again" has anyone actually ever seen anyone with a set? I'm not getting any just curious.
    I've said this before and will say again (again my opinion, don't make it right): There isn't a nickel's difference in most brands off shocks. Now let me explain here, this doesn't certain brands aren't definitely better as far as longevity and durability, but if valved right and close too what your car and you needs, they will be extremely close to the same lap times in my experience.

What is done to the shocks is way more important then what brand they are. I've done tests with Penske, JRI, Jerry (with the new afco's your talking about), Integra and not a single company (with a shock guy there) has picked up speed over what we know works at this track. Now sure sometimes they lost speed but never gained any. Also not saying they didn't change the handling slightly or made the car slightly better at certain points on the track, but it doesn't show on lap times during a test.

The point of that explanation was this: Jerry's new shocks were slightly slower then a regular set of Afco's valved by someone else and a set of integra's. They just didn't fit this driver and tracks preference, but doesn't mean they were bad, just not what the driver liked or needed. I might be wrong on this but think this was at the beginning of 17 before those shock's were out and still in development (I've slept since then but was 2016 or 2017 IIRC.

My opinion is guys get too hung up in shocks to a degree. I can say you can pick up a fair amount if your package is way off, but if your close not so much.

Some may laugh at an afco and not saying there isn't better quality shocks out there but done right they can compete with any of them. Case and point, those standard silver series, this guy had lead quite a bit of a 100 lap 20,000.00 to win Lucas show and finished top 5. Not my first choice, but they can work fine and are definitely cheaper initial purchase cost.

I like the way you think BBC...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

While I agree 100% I was more asking because Afco at one point put a ton of stuff out there on these shocks and were seemingly about to put alot into getting them back up there with the leading brands (Market Wise) then they just vanished. I had a popular shock builder on the short list to get them in his inventory to start selling and servicing them and then he said they just never got him inventory etc and you barely see them on their site you have to search for them which shouldn't be the case on something they are really pushing. I believe the biggest thing in shocks is how many people you can on them and who you can get on them. Is Penske better then JRI I dunno but they have so many out there across so many platforms and JRI just isn't there yet. I myself run JRI but there are times I feel like the lone wolf when I do go to new tracks and don't have anyone to lean on in case I'm off in a shock area. The hardest part with some of the brands is finding someone who can build your chosen brand correctly and someone who knows where you will be running and can build them according to your car and setup, your track or style of tracks, and then brand you are running. Thats where someone like a penske can have over an afco IMO, just because they have alot more intel coming in and can get out ahead of some of the new concepts trickling down and as ive found this year especially in my asphalt stuff some of this new intel is stuff done in the 80s and 90s someone has revisited, found a way to make it face and been the first to sell it again. ETG is great at this.......

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I've said this before and will say again (again my opinion, don't make it right): There isn't a nickel's difference in most brands off shocks. Now let me explain here, this doesn't certain brands aren't definitely better as far as longevity and durability, but if valved right and close too what your car and you needs, they will be extremely close to the same lap times in my experience.

What is done to the shocks is way more important then what brand they are. I've done tests with Penske, JRI, Jerry (with the new afco's your talking about), Integra and not a single company (with a shock guy there) has picked up speed over what we know works at this track. Now sure sometimes they lost speed but never gained any. Also not saying they didn't change the handling slightly or made the car slightly better at certain points on the track, but it doesn't show on lap times during a test.

The point of that explanation was this: Jerry's new shocks were slightly slower then a regular set of Afco's valved by someone else and a set of integra's. They just didn't fit this driver and tracks preference, but doesn't mean they were bad, just not what the driver liked or needed. I might be wrong on this but think this was at the beginning of 17 before those shock's were out and still in development (I've slept since then but was 2016 or 2017 IIRC.

My opinion is guys get too hung up in shocks to a degree. I can say you can pick up a fair amount if your package is way off, but if your close not so much.

Some may laugh at an afco and not saying there isn't better quality shocks out there but done right they can compete with any of them. Case and point, those standard silver series, this guy had lead quite a bit of a 100 lap 20,000.00 to win Lucas show and finished top 5. Not my first choice, but they can work fine and are definitely cheaper initial purchase cost.

i agree with billet fully , Ive seen them all work good at one time or another , they have to fit the car , the track , and the DRIVER , jerry is a quiet type guy , IMO , he is one of the best if given all the correct info and can work with any shock but just like with any shock builder , you have to provide creditable info , and that is the tricky part.......

Oh I know he is I know they did alot to get him to come there and design them from the ground up just no sure why they aren't pushing them more even some current prominent Afco servicers don't have them, which is why i'm curious what Afco is doing with them, I have three sets of silvers as backups to our Ohlins we like them just hard to justify using them when Afco doesn't really seem to be pushing their shock stuff right now

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    i agree with billet fully , Ive seen them all work good at one time or another , they have to fit the car , the track , and the DRIVER , jerry is a quiet type guy , IMO , he is one of the best if given all the correct info and can work with any shock but just like with any shock builder , you have to provide creditable info , and that is the tricky part.......

I dont understand that part either 7up , other than those new shocks seemed a little pricey compared to others , I have not talked to him much since he went to afco , he may wish he would have stayed at shy , but who knows........