Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    But thrust DOES exist when the vehicle IS accelerating. DLM cars are RARELY not accelerating when the driver is on the gas.
    Stopping the motion with the chain doesn't void the anti-squat loads that were achieved up to that point. It just puts a cap on it. As long as acceleration is happening, weight transfer is happening. If it isn't going into a spring, it's going to the tire. That's the entire point of anti-squat.
    To my knowledge all race cars with (4) tires work in whats known as an, "X". Which means the LR and RF work with each other and the RR and LF work together. This relationship continues dynamically as long as each wheel remains loaded. So, the LR/RF relationship only works as long as both remain loaded, ie through the energy in a compressed spring or by pressing against a bump rubber. Now if the RF rises off that bump then where does any cross weight come from for the LR? Just food for thought.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    But thrust DOES exist when the vehicle IS accelerating. DLM cars are RARELY not accelerating when the driver is on the gas. Stopping the motion with the chain doesn't void the anti-squat loads that were achieved up to that point. It just puts a cap on it. As long as acceleration is happening, weight transfer is happening. If it isn't going into a spring, it's going to the tire. That's the entire point of anti-squat.
    If you devised an experiment to measure the thrust, you might be somewhat surprised by the magnitude and duration of the loads.

Quote Originally Posted by CageFaraday View Post

^^^This is what I see.^^^ Reckon his LR or RR is doing more work?

We use to see the LR of a DLM wrinkle like a drag car leaving the line(mucho drive), but lately I'm hard pressed to see that anywhere. So in theory I understand 2 solid bars on the LR pushing up/over towards a nearly solid bump rubber on the RF sounds like the ultimate, but if you can't keep the RF pinned to the bump under accel you lose all that dynamic cross the instant it lifts and all you're left with is aero and whatever LR% remains. I'm not an engineer or an educated scientist, all I know is what I observe. JMO
    What I see is the RR slipping more than the LR. Other factors, not the least of which is stagger, allows the RR to produce enough traction to overdrive the LR, forcing the front left.

I agree with cage philosophy. Once you get so soft on RF with these stack rates. When you get past the apex of the corner and from there are trying to lift the front end. I believe you are not that engaged in that bump or big bottom spring like everyone thinks. You are more using the soft combined rate of the stack which is nothing so nothing is pushing back to the left rear .

Quote Originally Posted by 95shaw View Post
    What I see is the RR slipping more than the LR. Other factors, not the least of which is stagger, allows the RR to produce enough traction to overdrive the LR, forcing the front left.

The RR and LR are slipping together. Solid axle, car is in yaw, if one is slipping both are slipping. What you see is heat, which is result of friction caused by load. Quick lesson, rub your hands together quickly with very little pressure.....now rub hands together while pushing them towards one another with a but of pressure. Load Trump's speed when dealing with friction, no political pun intended.. LoL
    Josh K.

Agree, and if that Rr is slipping that means the LR should be slipping more. Being that the LR is smaller, it’s just the force on the RR that causes the “smoke” Right?

The Rr and Lr are spinning at the same rpm. If you have stagger, the Rr is larger so its surface is moving faster than the Lr.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The Rr and Lr are spinning at the same rpm. If you have stagger, the Rr is larger so its surface is moving faster than the Lr.
    Good looking out lol overthought it for a second lol

My question is, when the RR goes away, does the car get loose, or tight?

Food for thought.
    Last edited by 95shaw; 12-14-2018 at 07:24 PM.

My question is, when the RR goes away, does the car get loose, or tight?Food for thought.
    Typically, you skate. If you slow down and keep it straight, it will push. Just like if the RR is cold at the race start.

So, the lr cannot generate enough sidebite alone to keep from skating. When it can, then the lr will drive the nose to the right.

If the rr generates the correct amount of forward traction, after helping with the sidebite, it will drive the nose to the left.

Emphasis on the correct amount.

Thumbs up

My question is, when the RR goes away, does the car get loose, or tight?

Food for thought.
    I would say Loose "IN" and Tight "OFF" or just skate up the track., which is what I think Krooser was seeing.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by CageFaraday View Post
    I would say Loose "IN" and Tight "OFF" or just skate up the track., which is what I think Krooser was seeing.
    Must have been Krom that said that... I'm still trying to rebuild my Mastersbilt with buggy springs... so far I'm leading the points chase in the Lucas Whale Oil "Wells Fargo" Super Buckboards...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019