Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is called 'clay' in the southeast is not the same as 'clay' in the Midwest. The stuff in the SE, at least at most of the tracks, is red dirt (and mixed with sand in quite a few places). Look at Carolina Speedway, place can be wet as all get out and you still cannot watch a race without goggles. Clay in the Midwest holds moisture and is very tacky-turning dry slick with still little dust. The Virginia area is different again, so hopefully Lonesome Pine can haul in something that works well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    I used to assume red clay would work too, until I moved to Georgia a few years ago. I haven't seen a good, consistent red clay surface yet, in GA, SC or Bama. And the ones previously mentioned, that I've attended, aren't truly red clay. They're at least mixed with dirt -- except Sharon and Port Royal, which I haven't been to. Even Atomic in Tennessee, was a different kind of track than what I see down here. Maybe it's the promoters or the heat, or whatever, but the racing on the real red clay is terrible.
    When it is very high percentage of red clay and only sand as another component, it eats tires fast and the rubber builds up. You are right, it's hard to make those surfaces stay racey.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    When it is very high percentage of red clay and only sand as another component, it eats tires fast and the rubber builds up. You are right, it's hard to make those surfaces stay racey.
    Sand is a terrible regardless of what it’s mixed with.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

What is the surface at Tazewell, Tennessee?

I remember Atomic before '95 was not very good, not sure if they got a new track crew or what

(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) I never heard of a track intentionally adding SAND to their red clay! Sand eats up tires. I know New Senoia did not add Georgia clay but added this gray stuff that makes for great racing (the times that I have been there). Dixie Speedway is red clay of some type, and while I do love seeing races there, I do bring my clear safety glasses, especially if you are standing on the back stretch. I can get tough on the eyes without them. Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure Senoia added dirt on top of the asphalt, I don't think they got it tore up beforehand.

Never said they added it (sand), nature did it. Yes, Senoia is dirt on top of asphalt, went there in 2011 and it was hard, dry slick from hot laps on. I have heard that they brought in new dirt and surface is much better, but right rear tire barely made 40 laps back then. As you work across Georgia into Alabama and Mississippi the dirt improves tremendously, at least over some (not all) of the tracks in the NC/SC area. Greenville, Mississippi has to be one of the more entertaining tracks to race at, hooked up to dry slick you can race all across the wide surface.

Default Josh

Yes, Sharon is figuring it out. About time. And getting car counts too. I just hope they keep the doors open and tweak the car classes and get back to the 80’s, 90’s, early 2000’s Sharon.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Not familiar with those tracks, but I do think the banking of the track is a huge factor! Have noticed it with dirt on dirt! Once they are able to dig with side walls, just a matter of time

I know a couple people have mentioned tracks that left the asphalt. That’s all fine and dandy as long as there’s enough dirt over top at all times. If it gets close, it will snowball in a hurry.

Long as I knew there was a good base, I’m getting the asphalt milled up. Just from experience.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by toddg13 View Post
    I know New Senoia did not add Georgia clay but added this gray stuff that makes for great racing (the times that I have been there). Dixie Speedway is red clay of some type, and while I do love seeing races there, I do bring my clear safety glasses, especially if you are standing on the back stretch. I can get tough on the eyes without them. Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure Senoia added dirt on top of the asphalt, I don't think they got it tore up beforehand.
    The asphalt at Senoia was removed. The current operators at Senoia brought in some new clay from the neighborhood, but never got a great surface. Two years ago they found a source for some gray dirt which some have called Gumbo, but the source has never been revealed. They say Bubba's in Ocala is the only track with similar gray dirt.

A few of the tracks in Ms/Al/La area has used what they call river gumbo that usually comes from a river bottom or low lying area where water tends to stand if I'm not mistaken. It makes for a helluva racing surface that tends to hold moisture a lot longer and it's usually a grayish color have seen some that was a yellowish/beige color. I believe the track at Arkedelphia, Al used to be a tannish beige color but that was several years ago.

arkedelphia was a grayish type dirt when the cate,s first built it , im pretty sure they used what dirt was there and it held moister pretty good , but it seems they about all do when they are first built. as far as the dirt on asphalt thing , i always thought they track might hold moister longer without the asphalt barrier , but IDK......

I may be thinking about a different track Fastford but I could swear back probably 12-15 years ago that track had a tannish tint to it but I'm color blind too so it could have been a gray color

Cool thing for Lonesome Pine is they are not far from Wythe, which has a great racing surface. Hopefully they can 'borrow' a little knowledge from Fred....

what is the size of corbin what night will the track run?

Lonesome Pine is a 3/8 mile high banked. I don't think they have announced what night they will run.

Below is a in-car camera of Lonesome Pine.

https://youtu.be/y3xsFwcSDnQ

Dang, they might as well go to dirt. That asphalt looks rough as he!!. The surface at Senoia is interesting for sure using that Gumbo Clay. I remember first time I saw it walking in from the parking lot it looked like asphalt from such a long distance. Hoosier is right about the asphalt being ripped up. I think originally they did just put dirt on top but tore up the asphalt few years back when they replaced the surface and widened the track a bit. Could be wrong though. I think Greenville Speedway in MS has the same surface as well.

On a side note, while not asphalt, I always thought Waycross Speedway in Ga had an interesting surface. It was an oil packed dirt for many years. Made it so much like asphalt that they actually painted lines on it. They did eventually resurface it. Sadly the joint is closed now I think.

I know we are all dirt racing fans here, but that is an incredible asphalt track, but just couldn't sustain. I hope it makes a great dirt track. Really cool place. Look up their facebook page for some good pics.

Weatherman85 you are correct about Senoia. When it first went to dirt they put the clay on top off the asphalt to gauge the popularity of running dirt there and also the track owner wouldn't let them. Once they seen it would take off they got the owners blessing and took up the asphalt, put down the gumbo and the rest is history.