Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Second Dirt Million????

Any announcements made on a second dirt million for next year? How was the crowd on Friday and Saturday???

Standing room only saturday

Crowd was good. My only problem was the camping they didn't do a good job parking people. People were marking off bigger spots then what they paid for in Lot A. Reminded me of old Eldora before they went reserve camping. That was my only complaint of the weekend besides that the racing was a lot better then it has been in the past.

Wow standing room only? And all the suited were sold out and saw lot of people sitting hillside. That is good to hear

The racing was only a stone throw away!
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    The racing was only a stone throw away!
    I see what you did there...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Walked the track after races Saturday night. That thing was loaded with rocks all over the surface. Don't think I will be back, unless they really improve on some things.

When did the promotion/ticker for this year's event start?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    When did the promotion/ticker for this year's event start?
    The money ticker started back around late February / March. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe was something like 26 weeks ago.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

I would say it will keep going as long as you keep sending money in for the purse.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    I would say it will keep going as long as you keep sending money in for the purse.
    Just like every other race ever ran in the history of races.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Been baffled by people’s reactions to the accumulated purse idea from the get go. It was posted in black and white, everyone knew the program in advance. Promoter has brought two of the freshest ideas to dirt racing in a long time. My mind he deserves an attaboy for creativity and thinking outside the box. Did he learn from this first event and will seek to improve going forward? Have to think he did unless he is a one trick pony.

Exactly, I'm sure all the tracks around the country depend on the fans to pay the majority of the purse, all these people bashing this guy from trying something new are idiots crying about the name the payout and whatever else you can drag out to put him and the event down. Does he need to improve it yes he does but what doesn't need to be fixed after the first try?

I predict there will be several "Million" races next season. All the keyboard promoters will be stepping up and buying or leasing their favorite tracks all over the country and running their own events. Might even be able to start a new series of these event called the Million Series.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    Could say that the same for the World 100. If fans stopped paying the purse for it that race would end as well.

Didn't you know? Tony pays all that out of his pocket just because he's such a nice guy.

I've seen lots of people upset about him calling the race the Dirt Million. If it was a true realistic possibility then I could see the angle of wanting to call the race that and wouldn't really have an issue with it. But now that the race has come and gone and we know the final ticker amount of $405,000 and we also know the stands were full on Saturday... it's obvious this race was never going to be a million dollar purse from the very beginning.

I don't care if every fan there bought a bunch of the trinkets they were selling and bought up all the side panels off the cars, checkered flag, helmet and everything else. The race already had a sponsor that moved the ticker 50k in the beginning so I dont see much more coming from that side of it. If the stands are already full theres not much a chance of raising much more money via tickets. What else is there? Did he think people were just going to donate the rest?

Dont get me wrong the idea is unique and I'm glad someone is trying to new things but there is no way around the fact the race name was pure deception. There is no freaking way another $600,000 gets pumped into that purse.
    Last edited by dirtracer12m; 08-27-2018 at 08:36 AM.

It was a great weekend for our group. The feature on Sat. was crazy. I don't understand all the bashing of this event.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtracer12m View Post
    I've seen lots of people upset about him calling the race the Dirt Million. If it was a true realistic possibility then I could see the angle of wanting to call the race that and wouldn't really have an issue with it. But now that the race has come and gone and we know the final ticker amount of $405,000 and we also know the stands were full on Saturday... it's obvious this race was never going to be a million dollar purse from the very beginning.

I don't care if every fan there bought a bunch of the trinkets they were selling and bought up all the side panels off the cars, checkered flag, helmet and everything else. The race already had a sponsor that moved the ticker 50k in the beginning so I dont see much more coming from that side of it. If the stands are already full theres not much a chance of raising much more money via tickets. What else is there? Did he think people were just going to donate the rest?

Dont get me wrong the idea is unique and I'm glad someone is trying to new things but there is no way around the fact the race name was pure deception. There is no freaking way another $600,000 gets pumped into that purse.
    How can you come to that conclusion after year 1? The more exposure the race gets the more sponsors that will jump on board. Just because it didn't hit 1 mil this year why do you think he should he should stop trying?

Unless they get the surface fixed (remove the rocks, roughness and abrasiveness), it will prevent the event from growing. Yes the drivers who made the feature got at least $4 grand, but I'm willing to bet the extra $1,500-2,000 they got over normal start money went right back into the cars to replace damage from the weekend. And those who didn't make the show probably lost a good amount of money if they had moderate damage.

The format is not my cup of tea but to each their own.