Default Driving/Education Schools

To all out there: where is the best place to go to learn to drive and understand everything from the basics to things more advanced?

Quote Originally Posted by Mack1a View Post
    To all out there: where is the best place to go to learn to drive and understand everything from the basics to things more advanced?
    ......4m.net

8 years of going out and trying.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Dale McDowell pus on a school in the Fall in GA, and i think Donne Moran still does them sometime in Ohio.

Outside of that, i would just rent a track, worth it because you never get enough seat time to get up to speed otherwise. Especially with a SLM.

Just say no...

Not sure that dale still does this or not, but before you could do a test at boyds and have dale there and he will go over driving and even take you for a ride in a 2 seater and go over driving technique.

I would imagine he still does the driving school also but not sure it still going, but should be able to set up a test like I said above.

What should one expect to pay for track rental? Is it a few hundred or a few thousand...

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    What should one expect to pay for track rental? Is it a few hundred or a few thousand...
    it varies greatly and I mean a ton, cheapest I have ever rented a track was 50.00 an hour (no prep work done was next day after some races on track) to 1400.00 for high prep work done (40,000 gallons of water put on track). But on average I'd say 600.00 to 1200.00 for a night (with reasonable prep work done), length varies greatly on when you start and how long you can run due to area and noise ordinances. Typically that is around 4 to 6 hours, but I have been at one track over 2 days (7 hours one day and about 10 the next).

Keep in mind, some flat won't do it and others are pretty good. Many times the tracks are junk and you sort of have to figure out which ones are decent and which stinks. Most teams have certain tracks that are their go to tracks for testing, I have several we use for different scenario's like: Stop and go, traction'ed up, slick, and momentum.

Also some of the insurance companies have raised the practice night fee's to the same as a race night, so that has had an effect on some tracks rental price. Think this was do to something that happened at Boone on a practice night.

Call Donnie Moran 740-607-2299 2 days. From set up to on track. You wont be disappointed.

Default Race driving/education

Contact: Dale Mcdowell , I believe he does one on one . also a couple of group classes each year. Theory on setup, hands on your chsssis setup and driving at Boyd's Speedway. Try 423 580 0017 or Ray Cook 828 360 5353; Be ready to leave a number so they can call back.

Here's the link to Dale McDowell's school... I did this 6 years ago and it was worth the money for me. For someone that had never driven on dirt, it was a good start for me.

http://www.dirtschool.com/

Here in WI a few tracks have open practice several times during the year... Something I tried years ago with some sucess.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I personally been through mcdowell's school and it was very good. It was alot more of a driving class than a setup class but covered both fairly well. Never been to the Moran school but i have heard nothing but good things

Jking24 can you send me your contact info in a pm?