Thread: Bump Steer ?

Default Bump Steer ?

How much will the wrong upper control arm effect bump steer. For instance if they should be mounted inside frame and are mounted outside or vise versa. Plus adding shims. I have a 04 GRT
    Last edited by ace1; 08-30-2018 at 07:03 AM.

In my experience with GRT (a ton), the factory settings never seemed to work out right on bump steer or least the bump I'd want. So you really need to set it, IMO.

That being said if it was correct with the long arm inside frame and you went to a shorter like 8"ish, then the RF would toe out more then before. Also if you change the camber and/or caster away from the 04 specs to something more updated, then your bump will be off quit a bit.

I have only checked the LF. It is off quite a bit. It has a 8" outside frame. I have shimmed both ends of tie rod a lot and help it but still has a long way to go I think. I made my own dial gauge stand. I hope I'm measuring right. 2" compression it has .200, 2" extension it is .110. With that much movement I didn't try much more. RF has 10" inside frame. I will check RF and see where it is at.

Quote Originally Posted by ace1 View Post
    I have only checked the LF. It is off quite a bit. It has a 8" outside frame. I have shimmed both ends of tie rod a lot and help it but still has a long way to go I think. I made my own dial gauge stand. I hope I'm measuring right. 2" compression it has .200, 2" extension it is .110. With that much movement I didn't try much more. RF has 10" inside frame. I will check RF and see where it is at.
    Everyone has their own ways of doing it or what to set it at but here is what I found works on older GRT's.

1. LF as close to possible from 1" compression to how ever far you let it drop (+/-.025 is close enough over entire)
    2. RF toe out .062 per inch of compression

This will add artificial ackerman those cars don't have much of unless the car has been updated or modified with the rack moved back.

Obviously those numbers are with a plate approximately 16 to 18" wide not clear at the tire.

I checked the RF and found I had to raise the rack a good bit to get it in the right direction which I think may help the LF. I got the RF at .035 out at 3"compression.
    Should I have to raise the rack much to help correct it. I always thought the rack was low on the right side in this car. GRT said if the plate was flat it was good. Which it is. Nothing bent I can find.
    I raised the rack and shimmed both ends of the tie rods.
    Last edited by ace1; 09-01-2018 at 08:29 AM.